Official 2016 Postseason Thread

What makes you say/believe this? Both the Eastern and Western conference finals are listed as the same either/or Sunday/mid-week dates. I am not saying you are wrong necessarily, just wondering how you "know" the West gets Sundays and East gets Tuesday/Wednesday?

Conference Championships
Two-game series, aggregate-goal format.

Sunday, November 20 - Western Conference
8:00 PM ET Leg 1: TBD vs TBD Lower seed hosts FS1
Tuesday, November 22 - Eastern Conference
8:00 PM ET Leg 1: TBD vs TBD Lower seed hosts ESPN
Sunday, November 27 - Western Conference
4:00 PM ET Leg 2: TBD vs TBD Higher seed hosts ESPN
Wednesday, November 30 - Eastern Conference
7:00 PM ET Leg 2: TBD vs TBD Higher seed hosts FS1

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-cup-playoffs/2016/schedule

Reactions: NYC24
Ah but if our home game ends in a tie on goals, then we will get overtime on our home field which we move have a 8-3-6 record. I'm liking the way we've been playing at home.

NYCFC's recent home form in the back half of the season:

WWWWWDWW

The only game they didn't win was the 2-2 draw against the Supporters Shield winning FC Dallas (in which they came back from 2-1 down to tie). The last loss at home was 3-2 to RSL back on June 2nd (where RSL scored 3 goals on 2 shots).

Our possible three opponents are Toronto, Montreal, and DC. Philadelphia being the lowest seed, should they beat Toronto, would play the Red Bulls. Here's how we've done against our possible opponents during the course of the season in the style of the two leg playoff round (away goal tiebreaker)...

Toronto
- Home 2-2 (March 13)
- Away 1-1 (May 18)
- Lose 3-3 (on away goals)

Montreal
- Home 1-1 (April 27)
- Away 3-1 (July 17)
- Win 4-2 (no need for tiebreaker)

DC
- Away 2-0 (May 8)
- Home 3-2 (September 1)
- Away 1-3 (October 16)
- If we average the away matches it would be (1.5 - 1.5), so it would be 4.5-3.5 and we win without the tiebreaker.

The interesting thing to note is that when we've scored at least three goals this season we're 8-0-1 (tie vs. Columbus, wins vs. Chicago, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Montreal, Colorado, DC, Chicago, and Columbus)

why the fuck are eastern conference final games on weekdays....west coast gets sunday games....cant we do the same? asssuming we get there.

East games are on Nov 22nd and 29th. The league scheduled this because there is the CFL Grey Cup at BMO Field during Thanksgiving weekend and this couldn't be moved for an MLS playoff game. Awful scheduling for something that might not even happen. Seems like somebody in MLS HQ was pretty high on Toronto when setting up the schedule.

Conference Championships
Two-game series, aggregate-goal format.

Sunday, November 20 - Western Conference
8:00 PM ET Leg 1: TBD vs TBD Lower seed hosts FS1
Tuesday, November 22 - Eastern Conference
8:00 PM ET Leg 1: TBD vs TBD Lower seed hosts ESPN
Sunday, November 27 - Western Conference
4:00 PM ET Leg 2: TBD vs TBD Higher seed hosts ESPN
Wednesday, November 30 - Eastern Conference
7:00 PM ET Leg 2: TBD vs TBD Higher seed hosts FS1

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-cup-playoffs/2016/schedule

Is this for real? A fucking Tuesday and Wednesday? You have to be kidding me. What if Toronto are not in the conference final? Fucking Canada...

Reactions: NYC24 and JayH
Is this for real? A fucking Tuesday and Wednesday? You have to be kidding me. What if Toronto are not in the conference final? Fucking Canada...
giphy.gif

Assuming we play TOR next Sunday, they will be on 3 days rest. Here is their performance this year on short rest.

5/18 - 1-1 draw vs NYC
5/21 - 0-0 draw vs CLB
6/1 - 4-2 win vs MTL
6/21 - 1-0 win vs VAN
6/25 - 3-2 loss at ORL
6/29 - 2-1 loss at VAN
7/2 - 1-1 draw vs SEA
7/13 - 1-1 draw at CLB
7/16 - 2-1 loss at SJ
7/23 - 4-1 win vs DC
8/3 - 1-0 win vs RSL
8/6 - 4-1 win vs NE
8/24 - 2-1 win at ORL
8/27 - 1-0 loss vs MTL
9/28 - 0-0 draw vs ORL
10/1 - 2-1 loss vs DC

Overall record: 6-5-5

I'd say that gives us pretty good odds to get some kind of result in our away leg.

Reactions: JayH and SoupInNYC

I think that would translate into a 66% chance we play Tor, 22% chance we play DC and 12% chance we play Montreal, but there are others who have done middle school probabilities in math class more recently than me!

I would have expected a higher win % for both Tor and DC, but I guess that just shows that how much random variation is possible in a single match.

Daylight Savings time ends on November 6. I don't think this affects anything, but, yeah.

Reactions: Kjbert
If Philly wins, we get a team on two days' rest. That really is a quick turnaround and would give us an additional boost on the road.

Does a disgruntled Drogba actually become a factor if he is benched for a KO game win and then becomes a rested option against us?

Reactions: FootyLovin
If Philly wins, we get a team on two days' rest. That really is a quick turnaround and would give us an additional boost on the road.

Does a disgruntled Drogba actually become a factor if he is benched for a KO game win and then becomes a rested option against us?
I don't think Montreal can beat DC without using their full roster. I'd be very surprised if Drogba emerges fully rested. That tilt in DC is going to be all-out and physical - Benny-ball style.

Reactions: JayH

It's likely because of the stadium situations in the east. The dates are set well before they know what teams both MLS and MLB will make the post season. The East has shared venues for NYCFC (MLB), NE (NFL), DC (NFL), and Tor (CFL). The only west coast venue with an issue is Sea (NFL). Of those teams the one with the biggest issue with regards to change over time is NYCFC meaning there is a good chance the mid week game is our fault. Not that anyone around here needs to be told this but we need our own stadium badly.

It's likely because of the stadium situations in the east. The dates are set well before they know what teams both MLS and MLB will make the post season. The East has shared venues for NYCFC (MLB), NE (NFL), DC (NFL), and Tor (CFL). The only west coast venue with an issue is Sea (NFL). Of those teams the one with the biggest issue with regards to change over time is NYCFC meaning there is a good chance the mid week game is our fault. Not that anyone around here needs to be told this but we need our own stadium badly.

NYCFC has nothing to do with the scheduling. There would be no baseball played that late in November even if the Yankees played in the WS. The Eastern Conference games are on a weekday because of the CFL Grey Cup which is Sunday, November 27th at BMO Field. MLS moved the entire schedule because of the possibility of Toronto having a home game that day. Blame MLS HQ.

NYCFC has nothing to do with the scheduling. There would be no baseball played that late in November even if the Yankees played in the WS. The Eastern Conference games are on a weekday because of the CFL Grey Cup which is Sunday, November 27th at BMO Field. MLS moved the entire schedule because of the possibility of Toronto having a home game that day. Blame MLS HQ.
All games should then be during the week. A split schedule between East/West is fundamentally wrong. May be bad for their TV and attendance but it keeps that coveted parity within the league.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
DC doesn't share with the Redskins. DCU plays at RFK in DC, Redskins are at FedEx Field in Landover, MD.

Reactions: Kjbert