Votes: 47 26.3%
  • Hate It

Votes: 46 25.7%
  • Hate - Will Purchase To Support Club

Votes: 18 10.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 68 38.0%

• Total voters
And no company is going to pay to put their name on anything without some input on how it looks.

Seriously. Sponsors do not get to influence the shirt designs. It just does not happen. If you need proof of this, take a look at Liverpool's frankly eye-bleedingly awful away and third kits over the last couple of seasons, as well as Newcastle United's bizarre inability to resist putting extra black sections on a black and white striped kit that should be incredibly simple to design, and then there's Manchester United's abysmal tea towel kits as well as the ugly-as-sin chevron designs. Not to mention that you can be sure that if this happened, you'd get at least one or two kits where the designs of the kit were made to replicate the sponsor's logo, but I can't think of a single time that that has ever happened.

Honestly, if sponsors tried to introduce a clause into the sponsorship saying that they get to design the kits, their execs would find themselves parked on their backsides in the car park outside the stadium before they knew what hit them. Football clubs have a high enough sense of self-importance already. They don't like being dictated to on what they consider to be "their things" to control.

Seriously. Sponsors do not get to influence the shirt designs. It just does not happen. If you need proof of this, take a look at Liverpool's frankly eye-bleedingly awful away and third kits over the last couple of seasons, as well as Newcastle United's bizarre inability to resist putting extra black sections on a black and white striped kit that should be incredibly simple to design, and then there's Manchester United's abysmal tea towel kits as well as the ugly-as-sin chevron designs. Not to mention that you can be sure that if this happened, you'd get at least one or two kits where the designs of the kit were made to replicate the sponsor's logo, but I can't think of a single time that that has ever happened.

Honestly, if sponsors tried to introduce a clause into the sponsorship saying that they get to design the kits, their execs would find themselves parked on their backsides in the car park outside the stadium before they knew what hit them. Football clubs have a high enough sense of self-importance already. They don't like being dictated to on what they consider to be "their things" to control.
Sponsors can produce some pretty fugly stuff on their own. I'm certainly glad that nobody decided to have the team colors match Etihad. That is one hideous color scheme.

Reactions: CP_Scouse

Sponsors occasionally get some input on the kit. In some cases they can mandate that their logo doesn't appear on certain color backgrounds or which version of their logo the team uses. I'm pretty sure Nike isn't the reason that Manchester United is using that fugly 3d Chevrolet logo rather than a classy flat white one. That said, you're right that the sponsor definitely doesn't get to chose the final design.

Sponsors occasionally get some input on the kit. In some cases they can mandate that their logo doesn't appear on certain color backgrounds or which version of their logo the team uses. I'm pretty sure Nike isn't the reason that Manchester United is using that fugly 3d Chevrolet logo rather than a classy flat white one. That said, you're right that the sponsor definitely doesn't get to chose the final design.

OK, I'll grant you that they get to influence how their logo appears. But I'm still highly sceptical of the claim that they get to vet shirt designs.

OK, I'll grant you that they get to influence how their logo appears. But I'm still highly sceptical of the claim that they get to vet shirt designs.

No way in hell they do, especially with a big team.

I'm sure everyone is enjoying their "free gift" from yesterday. Sort of feel like this?

Love this
I left work(port chester) and went to the city, no place for a drink anywhere near terminal 5. Stood there for the "event" with no bar and as I left someone handed me the plastic wrapped tube. I did not know what it was but asked for a 2nd for my other kid. On my way to the brickyard I opened it When i got home and my wife opened the invite she was like why didn't you turn this in for the gift. we both looked at the mini poster.
Also where was our beer sponsor.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Yeah we were discussing doing something before the event but unfortunately NOTHING opened before 11. That's why we settled on Brickyard afterwards.
A lot of people are confused about their free gift :/

I'm good with it. When i saw the color and sponsor so i dediced to buy the shirt like february. Before the season starts of course but not rush me to buy it immediately. Now i really love how the fabric looks. Like shining domething like that. But i think i would buy it way before february because it is liking me more and more. It is not a clone of man city. Almost same color and same sponsor. But just with the color is enough to notice they are alike

Yeah we were discussing doing something before the event but unfortunately NOTHING opened before 11. That's why we settled on Brickyard afterwards.
A lot of people are confused about their free gift :/
Don't get me wrong i am not complaining about the poster, it was Nice touch and unexpected.
they should have sold drinks

There are some interesting posts on this thread...

I think the jersey is nice. Could have been more unique but it could have been much worse. It looked darker at the reveal but I'm happy it's more of a light blue then I originally thought.

Member since March 23. 4 posts. 3 to enter giveaways and one to defend the kit. 0 likes

I only care about the product on the pitch.

Member since June 4. 1 post. 1 like from Gazza_55 (see below)

I have to say that if you offered any mcfc fan this kit, of course with the other badge on it, to replace their one this season they wouldnt think twice about it. I think it looks classyand great! I accept that you may want your own 'identity' but it isnt like the owners have changed anything. Surely this was expected when everyone first heard about the plans. Look what they did to Melbourne Hearts! Changed from red to sky blue and white and scrapped hearts and used city instead. It is part of the masterplan which will help all teams and clubs involved asthey will each take other ckubs players cheaply. I think there has been a huge over reaction to the new kit!

Member since Friday. 2 posts. This one and another in this thread responding to BxLio91 who said "ban this clown." 0 likes

Should you really know what the club stands for BEFORE they've played a single match? A single year?

Won't the marketplace decide if our decision makers are "out of touch with the fan base"?

Right now it seems it's only the 200 people on message boards we have heard from. Why don't we see what the other 15k to 25k fans have to say between December and April?

Member since March 23 (the same day as JDibby13). 5 posts. 2 about season ticket sales for Atlanta, one in a thread called "Are We Building A Team Or Selling A Brand?," and these two here. 2 likes.

It's a stunning looking kit, embrace it and wear it with pride.

Our newest member. 1 post. Likes? Nada.

There are some interesting posts on this thread...

Member since March 23. 4 posts. 3 to enter giveaways and one to defend the kit. 0 likes

Member since June 4. 1 post. 1 like from Gazza_55 (see below)

Member since Friday. 2 posts. This one and another in this thread responding to BxLio91 who said "ban this clown." 0 likes

Member since March 23 (the same day as JDibby13). 5 posts. 2 about season ticket sales for Atlanta, one in a thread called "Are We Building A Team Or Selling A Brand?," and these two here. 2 likes.

Our newest member. 1 post. Likes? Nada.
tumblr_m7r9pj2Ks21qcmptjo3_500.gif

theres people here that work for the club to promote the club

Reactions: Ike Podell
Or they're just new members? Everyone was new at one point? So the members joining recently that agree with you and hate on the jersey are Red Bull fans in disguise? Can't be normal NYCFC fans with an opinion of their own.
I know this isn't true because I've offered them an opportunity in the past to join the forum and answer questions and so on and they've turned it down.
We've had a large influx of members and visitors over the last week. In fact our traffic has doubled. We were included in an article, reddit and received more hits than usual from Google due to the jersey release. With this comes new members and if they came here because of the jersey news it's logical that they respond to a thread about it. Also they kind of shit on us on the MCFC forums and wouldn't be surprised if some people from there joined as well recently to support the kit. If you really think they at the office would waste man hours on 3 individuals responding with 3 posts to 'defend' the kit and win over skeptics then you're sadly mistaken. A large majority of people join here for the giveaways. Some stay and continue to post. Other just want the giveaways. I also doubt that NYCFC employees would join here for giveaways that they could probably get for free and do get for free anyways... I seriously can't even comprehend the fact I'm even having to make this post.
If we were that closely connected to the club I wouldn't have to wait now 2 months for a set of NYCFC stickers to arrive at my house. Nor would I have had to spend my own money to ship a box of apparel to Przemek for doin all the designs or buy all the giveaway items myself or even buy my own season tickets for that matter. Also our co-admin einwindir einwindir wouldnt have had to wait outside with everyone else at the event he would of been privileged like some tr guys and got in before hand.
Trust me. I have 0 connections besides my own ticket rep David H.
I'll get my jersey the same day you get yours. This forum is about as important to them as the Facebook page which has about a hundred more users bitching about the kit than we do here. /endrant

Representatives from NYCFC have told me that they visit the Forum everyday. They are very aware of what we discuss but I don't think it's as nefarious as some of you believe. Like NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan said I'd would be more inclined to believe that these new users are in fact new users or lurkers. Also, as Dan mentioned, the club has had a very laissez-faire approach to the forums. We had the David Villa banner up for a few months which the club paid for, but that's where the relationship ends.

Keep in mind that this place has over 800 users. There will be active, nonactive and inactive members. If you guys feel there are spam accounts (what you guys are referring to can be considered spam) then please report it, myself, dan and falastur will review all the reports and do our best to verify whether or not they are genuine.

Eh, those two have summarised the long-winded arguments here, but what I wanted to add in is this: if you really think that the club sending a couple of guys to sockpuppet some positive comments into the debate is going to radically alter the tone of the conversation and turn this forum into a happy-clapping love-niks who suddenly adore the kit and think it's CFG's best step ever, you don't understand how internet arguments work, and since everyone and their dog knows how internet arguments work then I'm assuming that you don't in fact think this. You might think that they badly mishandled the kit launch, but they're not *that* stupid.

Sock-puppetry works on Wikipedia, where people come along and believe absolutely anything they read. It doesn't work on forums, where people come along and by and large disagree with and vehemently protest against everything they read.

Edit: for the record, I ran IP scans on the users highlighted in Ahab's post above, and let's just say the results don't exactly support the theory that they're all NYCFC employees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Representatives from NYCFC have told me that they visit the Forum everyday. They are very aware of what we discuss but I don't think it's as nefarious as some of you believe. Like NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan said I'd would be more inclined to believe that these new users are in fact new users or lurkers. Also, as Dan mentioned, the club has had a very laissez-faire approach to the forums. We had the David Villa banner up for a few months which the club paid for, but that's where the relationship ends.

Keep in mind that this place has over 800 users. There will be active, nonactive and inactive members. If you guys feel there are spam accounts (what you guys are referring to can be considered spam) then please report it, myself, dan and falastur will review all the reports and do our best to verify whether or not they are genuine.
BTW the club didn't pay for the banner. I asked them to design us a banner that I could link to the ticket sales page and they obliged. But I didn't ask anything in return. Just wanted to help promote sales of tickets.

BTW the club didn't pay for the banner. I asked them to design us a banner that I could link to the ticket sales page and they obliged. But I didn't ask anything in return. Just wanted to help promote sales of tickets.
Hmm my mistake then. I thought it was an advertisement. Well there ya go.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Dan, pretty sure you do all this on your free time as well. So thanks for that. Love this site and most the people here too. Lots of useful info being thrown around. Also if you ever need staff help count me in. Would love to help out.