Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when NYCFC's first ever reporter told everyone that we had Xavi locked up no doubt? Ah, I still laugh about that.

Seriously though, fuck that guy.

Xavi actually admitted to the press afterwards that he had everything ready to come to NY. Barcelona officials however (and I'm sure Messi) convinced him to stay another year and offered him a few mins on the field as a sub. Can't really blame the reporter on that one.

Reactions: Kjbert
Kind of wonder what it feels like to be Pirlo today. I imagine him sitting in some cafe, looking at his twitter and going 'well if it's on twitter I guess it must be true!'
I always wondered what it was like to be any celeb and seeing rumors online while sitting in a cafe.

I don't know. I'll wait until an official NYCFC announcement comes. It's kind of ridiculous that MLS tweeted citing an external source.

This is where they got that information I wouldn't hold much weight in what this guy says.

I wonder if things are getting confused with the rumors about the 4th DP slot being a different kind of spot, not counting against the cap in the same way that the current DP slots count. It's possible that he will slot into the new 4th DP slot with different rules and when they say he wont be a "DP" they just mean that the front office isn't using our current DP3 slot to bring him in. As someone pointed out earlier Orlando is certainty acting like the 4th DP slot is on its way. That combined with the tweets from earlier this week about meetings regarding the DP4 slot makes me optimistic that its coming soon.

I wonder if things are getting confused with the rumors about the 4th DP slot being a different kind of spot, not counting against the cap in the same way that the current DP slots count. It's possible that he will slot into the new 4th DP slot with different rules and when they say he wont be a "DP" they just mean that the front office isn't using our current DP3 slot to bring him in. As someone pointed out earlier Orlando is certainty acting like the 4th DP slot is on its way. That combined with the tweets from earlier this week about meetings regarding the DP4 slot makes me optimistic that its coming soon.
Yeah I agree but I looked on this guys twitter and there is nothing even close to come up where he got his information from. He just states this blindly. He is based in Montreal and seems as if he follows the Impact. I don't know his knowledge of the MLS... not that anyone knows the real mechanisms that make a roster. But I think he just said wrote this and it was taken from @NYCFCWatch which basically just looks on twitter and restates other peoples reporting. I am fine with that it gives a central place to find information but I don't hold much weight in this tweet. Also more importantly I think a 4th DP would be awesome for our team and the league. We definitely would benefit from it immensely.

Reactions: TommyM and gbservis
A 6 month contract would only take him until the end of this season, right? Id rather that than nothing, but would like if it was longer than that.

Reactions: TommyM and Kjbert
If Pirlo signs as under the cap, doesn't he then have to go through the allocation system?

If Pirlo signs as under the cap, doesn't he then have to go through the allocation system?

Not subject to allocation list. Only question would be does someone have a discovery claim on him

Why on earth would NYCFC spend all that money on a 6 month contract? If he can't start until July (which means first game like mid-July) that's basically a 3 and a half month contract unless he and Lamps click immediately and we transform from utter crap to playoff worthy. That'd be a waste. You also can't agree to a deal a year in advance.

So this report is dumb.

Why on earth would NYCFC spend all that money on a 6 month contract? If he can't start until July (which means first game like mid-July) that's basically a 3 and a half month contract unless he and Lamps click immediately and we transform from utter crap to playoff worthy. That'd be a waste. You also can't agree to a deal a year in advance.

So this report is dumb.
That's what I was thinking too. The 6 month contract would make it so the season is over far before his contract ends, which doesn't make much sense at all. Plus I doubt a player would agree to a contract a year in advance just because there is so much that could happen in a year.

Can you explain why he's not subject to allocation list if not a DP? It's hard to keep track of all these MLS transfer rules.

Allocation list is for select USMNT senior and youth players and for players returning to the league.

Then there is a "discovery" list - every year, you have a list of players who don't play in MLS who you get to claim. I want to say it's about 10 names globally each franchise can claim. If that players wants to play for another franchise upon entering the league, then the team with a claim is compensated. I've read on here it costs $50k to buy someone else's claim.

For a long time, it's been rumored that Pirlo and Gerrard were both claimed by LA Galaxy. Who knows if that is true.

A few things.

- All the media seem to be requoting the same story from the Spanish paper. That means we really only have one source that this is a "done deal". On the other hand, it also means that none of these other outlets are hearing anything contradictory (other than the NY Post).
- The fact that MLS has put up an article on this is particularly encouraging. I don't think the league would run with something like this unless they knew it was coming together.
- There is no way that Pirlo would announce or even sign a deal ahead of Saturday, when he plays one of the biggest games of his career. Let's see if we get teasers for an announcement next week.
- It ain't over 'til it's over.

Reactions: TommyM and Kjbert
Well there's likely to be more than 3 DPs aren't there?

They're sitting at a desk somewhere discussing that right now aren't they?

I haven't been keeping up to the minute on where that stands though.

Status
Not open for further replies.