Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only until we fill up all our DP slots

I wouldn't count on it, the European "sources" seem to have no understanding of how the dp rule works. They still link players to teams like tfc who have no availble dp slots all the time.

Reactions: Kjbert
Why can't Lampard come until July again?

The two reasons I have heard are that the rosters are locked until the MLS transfer window reopens at the start of July and traditionally players get a month off after the European season to rest. If you look back at the other big names that came from a season in Europe to MLS such as Henry and Beckham they have all historically shown up at some point in July or August.

Somebody posted that tweet around here somewhere, so I also went to check him out.

Sometime after that original tweet he posted at least one more (maybe two) about Drogba & NYCFC, but he only let on he was told things in confidence and he would elaborate asap........follow up tweet(s) were removed shortly, so (as they say) you can take this guy for what it's worth.

Cubo gives a shit?
A girl pressed rape charges against him (and some other players I think?) down in Mexico. So it might be him trying to get some space, not fleeing necessarily but ya know.

I hope its not true, he's a great young talent for this league that has left a mark at Guadalajara and the Mexican NT already. Its Mexico though and wealthy, famous people there are probably atleast as hard to convict as they are here in the US.

Somebody posted that tweet around here somewhere, so I also went to check him out.

Sometime after that original tweet he posted at least one more (maybe two) about Drogba & NYCFC, but he only let on he was told things in confidence and he would elaborate asap........follow up tweet(s) were removed shortly, so (as they say) you can take this guy for what it's worth.

He looks like a fucking moron. Hope hes wrong and full of it. No Drogba.

I don't know how to phrase this because I like you so much, but Gerrard, despite being an eeensie weensie bit better than lampard ain't ever playing for anyone but Galaxy. See, he's actually an honest guy who commits and does what he says. And that shit is not debatable. Lampard is no Gerrrsrd.

Fortunately, we don't need just a mascot. Hopefully, we get some quality. Although, if I were putting my money on who gave a fuck, I know where it would be.

I like the liking part ;)...as for Gerrard, sadly all you guys are telling me he is taken by Galaxy :(
I want to clarify that I am not a fan of Lampard , I am just repeating was I told by someone very close in NYCFC management when I expressed my sentiments on May 5, 2015 that many fans were angry with Lampard's absence and to forget him. " is not his fault. He is coming ." This statement indicates to me that management really want him ( June is around the corner and the fellow is not here)

and for putting your money , you mentioned in one of your post that Drogba ( can't spell his name) was in the picture . Well last night in one of those Spanish sports segments, it was reported that he is having conversations with MLS. Honestly , I don't get it... MLS should take a second look at what happened to the NASL for paying milliosn to all these aging footballers like Pele . As much as I like Gerrard he said he was happy to be coming to play in a a less stressful environment...

I like the liking part ;)...as for Gerrard, sadly all you guys are telling me he is taken by Galaxy :(
I want to clarify that I am not a fan of Lampard , I am just repeating was I told by someone very close in NYCFC management when I expressed my sentiments on May 5, 2015 that many fans were angry with Lampard's absence and to forget him. " is not his fault. He is coming ." This statement indicates to me that management really want him ( June is around the corner and the fellow is not here)

and for putting your money , you mentioned in one of your post that Drogba ( can't spell his name) was in the picture . Well last night in one of those Spanish sports segments, it was reported that he is having conversations with MLS. Honestly , I don't get it... MLS should take a second look at what happened to the NASL for paying milliosn to all these aging footballers like Pele . As much as I like Gerrard he said he was happy to be coming to play in a a less stressful environment...
I think NYC's official position on Lampard is that the situation wasn't their fault, and it wasn't Lampard's fault, but they won't say who was responsible. The implication is it was MCFC or CFG but they are constrained from saying. Which could be true but it doesn't really let NYCFC management off the hook if they got played. But that's another thread....
As for the third DP (and returning to your original report on your conversation with the club officials), it's perfectly reasonable for them not to announce anything until the time is right: when the deal is done and all legalities are in place. The problem is I'm not sure whether to believe them when they indicate something is in the works.
Finally, reports about individual players "having talks" with MLS or other clubs are usually planted by their agents to get their clients in the news and to create the impression that there is a bidding war for their services in the hope that the teams that actually are interested will raise their offers. Drogba probably is talking to MLS, but whether he's just using it as leverage for a deal in Europe is something we'll never know.

Last edited:
51 weeks ago NYCFC made the announcement that they acquired David Villa.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/david-villa-major-league-soccer-new-york-city-fc

So whether the DP3 joins next week or July or August, it's at least a decent possibility that next week will be announcement time (assuming we don't pass on this window).

Just to recap, the crazy ass rumors on this thread have included:
Drogba
Teves
Pirlo
Preki (though only for comparison)
Gerrard (though unavailable)
Zlatan
Gomez
Vieira (though retired and coaching a junior league. Oh. Wait. Maybe that's for real.)
Mulumbu
Kalou
RJ Allen
Gotze
Twellman (though I think that was as a source, not a signing, but with CFG, who knows?)
Gomez's hair
Nachos
Dani Alves
Joe Hart
and Messi

And that's only the rumors that have flown since Friday.

Take your pick. This week could be your last chance to prove your prognostication. Who's it gonna be?

51 weeks ago NYCFC made the announcement that they acquired David Villa.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/david-villa-major-league-soccer-new-york-city-fc

So whether the DP3 joins next week or July or August, it's at least a decent possibility that next week will be announcement time (assuming we don't pass on this window).

Just to recap, the crazy ass rumors on this thread have included:
Drogba
Teves
Pirlo
Preki (though only for comparison)
Gerrard (though unavailable)
Zlatan
Gomez
Vieira (though retired and coaching a junior league. Oh. Wait. Maybe that's for real.)
Mulumbu
Kalou
RJ Allen
Gotze
Twellman (though I think that was as a source, not a signing, but with CFG, who knows?)
Gomez's hair
Nachos
Dani Alves
Joe Hart
and Messi

And that's only the rumors that have flown since Friday.

Take your pick. This week could be your last chance to prove your prognostication. Who's it gonna be?
I guess expectations are really low if anyone took my Vieira reference seriously! And REALLY low if anyone took my RJ Allen reference seriously. You left out Eric Cantona.

"According to British newspaper The Telegraph and later reported by NBCSports’ Pro Soccer Talk, New York City FC may be in the mix to land legendary Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.

In addition, reports overseas have said that long-time Italian national team star Andrea Pirlo is mulling a possible move to MLS."

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/25/didier-drogba-andrea-pirlo-nycfc/

Also according to a few "Transfer News" Twitter/IG accounts NYCFC specifically reached out to Pirlo, as per Italian reporters with connections to agents in the league. It'll most likely be one or the other in my opinion (Drogba, Pirlo). Let's wait and see be patient guys, at least the club is on panic mode getting a 3rd DP due to the bad results.

Whoever our 3rd DP is, they should announce it in exciting fashion, like a video opening a pack in FIFA Ultimate Team revealing our roster and at the end our new DP and some reaction video in the corner like all those YouTubers that freak out when they get Ronaldo or Messi.

There also have been reports (including Nick Chavez) of the team actively looking to add a defender with news possibly coming soon (a DP would rule out the other options, but it is just as likely not a DP). The search for a defender would seem to be obvious in light of the glaring needs (though some of the pessimists may be shocked that there are actually efforts afloat in this regard!). If we can get a quality defender without using a DP who is more than a marginal upgrade over what we have (whether domestically or abroad), and then add a big impact DP like Pirlo with Lampard, that's a quick overhaul of this team. It also makes everyone else so much better. We are running up against the clock as far as a playoff run, but this team can become a whole lot more competitive and exciting in the matter of weeks.

Your history is a bit off. Pele was not the problem at all with the Cosmos, and the cosmos weren't the problem with the NASL. The problem with the NASL was absurd expansion at a sick rate, a shitty TV deal, and small market clubs overspending their means.

That last bit will never, ever be a problem with MLS. This league has the most regressive owners in American sports driving the car when it comes to the salary cap and league spending.

I have to admit I half hope we don't get a 3rd DP this season and wait until next year. First, I've pretty much given up on this season so I don't mind waiting. Second, I worry that an in-season move under these circumstances will be made of desperation. Third, I kind of like the idea of a clean pre-Lampard, Post-Lampard season comparison. I realize even that will be imperfect because if the team hopefully improves it could in part be due to the team finally coming together, but if you add a second DP there is no vibale way to even try to guage the effect of Lampard not being here, then arriving mid-season.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Status
Not open for further replies.