Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...y-will-not-exercise-options-seven-players-201

Anyone think some of these people will remain in New York next year? Of course I know people may not like the idea of signing players "rejected" by Red Bulls but mistakes happen. Kreis might have a look and it always helps to be already situated nearby. I'm sure I saw this story yesterday but its been posted on MLS soccer as of 5 mins ago so...
I don't want any of them to be honest but Kreis knows best after all...

Reactions: Kjbert
Beckham spent almost his entire career on the wing but played as a CDM for the Galaxy. Henry played as a striker for most of his career and ended it with the NYRB as a number 10.

Good players should be able to adapt to different roles later in their careers to make up for the inevitable physical decline.
Actually, Henry did best when they moved him wide left. He was a "10" only in that he created. He didn't play the 10 position.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan find me the formation where he and Jacobson fit that isn't a 4-2-3-1

You say he won't play RM. Fine. You agree he isn't a box to box player in a 4-2-3-1 fine. Is Jacobson not playing?
I specifically have said you'd be more likely see him playing as an 8 in a 4-2-3-1 with a dedicated holding mid behind him. Not going to look it up, but it should be easy for you to find if you know my posts so well.

I specifically have said you'd be more likely see him playing as an 8 in a 4-2-3-1 with a dedicated holding mid behind him. Not going to look it up, but it should be easy for you to find if you know my posts so well.

Which goes back to whether or not a 37 year old can play a Box-to-Box MF role in MLS? How many of our games next year will be on Artificial Turf? How many games can a 37 year old man be expected to pull a Michael Bradley?

I'm not saying he can't excel at it, but when you pay a guy $7 Million a year to be the face of your franchise, I don't want to see him play once every 2 weeks.

Which goes back to whether or not a 37 year old can play a Box-to-Box MF role in MLS? How many of our games next year will be on Artificial Turf? How many games can a 37 year old man be expected to pull a Michael Bradley?

I'm not saying he can't excel at it, but when you pay a guy $7 Million a year to be the face of your franchise, I don't want to see him play once every 2 weeks.

Fully agree. The more I think about it, the more I am thinking they may actually play him more advanced than 8 because I do not want to see guys like Jermaine Jones run his ass into the ground. (I mean, part of me would find it humorous, but not the part that wants us to win.)

That said, it makes the signing look even more like it was for MCFC because why pay a guy that much only to play him out of position. For the money, we could have gotten a true attacking midfielder.

I give up trying to figure it out. I'm either really conflicted or trying to convince myself of something other than my 2nd conclusion.

If NYCFC was 5 years into the franchise, you don't see a Frank Lampard here. I do think you see a David Villa here.

But Frank was signed to provide star power. And he was only signed on a two year deal.

Fully agree. The more I think about it, the more I am thinking they may actually play him more advanced than 8 because I do not want to see guys like Jermaine Jones run his ass into the ground. (I mean, part of me would find it humorous, but not the part that wants us to win.)

That said, it makes the signing look even more like it was for MCFC because why pay a guy that much only to play him out of position. For the money, we could have gotten a true attacking midfielder.

I give up trying to figure it out. I'm either really conflicted or trying to convince myself of something other than my 2nd conclusion.

I would imagine he'll play in a midfield 3 with a more defensive player behind him and another. He's wasted as a '10' his strengths are his awareness and ability to ghost into goalscoring positions. He'll be able to perform that role just fine, he's doing it in the Premier and Champions Leagues.

What you'll notice when you get to see him in the flesh is just how intelligent a player is, he's constantly looking around him and consequently performs suprisingly well defensively as well as his ability on the ball. He's a very different player than he was a few years ago, maybe even a better one.

Here is a random name. How about Johnathon Spector as a non-dp of course. He could make a good centerback in MLS.

Status
Not open for further replies.