Official Vent Thread

I’d dare anyone to get the vegan Guadalupe at the Bareburger behind 132 and not find it delicious

Reactions: Jon
I fucking hate the Twitter mob phenomenon.
JFC I’ve lost all respect for one of my friends who won’t fucking let go and admit he jumped on a mob train and that was wrong.
No. It’s worse. I didn’t even know he was part of the mob. He saw my tweet criticizing the mob and he won’t fucking shut up trying to convince me the mob was justified. I never asked him to recant I just want him to know enough to leave well enough alone and STFU. He doesn’t know it but we’ve breached significant opinion change. Utter contempt.
God fucking dammit.

JFC I’ve lost all respect for one of my friends who won’t fucking let go and admit he jumped on a mob train and that was wrong.
No. It’s worse. I didn’t even know he was part of the mob. He saw my tweet criticizing the mob and he won’t fucking shut up trying to convince me the mob was justified. I never asked him to recant I just want him to know enough to leave well enough alone and STFU. He doesn’t know it but we’ve breached significant opinion change. Utter contempt.
God fucking dammit.
What mob, might I ask?

ETA - never mind. Looks like the one I would have guessed.

Reactions: mgarbowski
God fucking dammit.
what is this mob?

One of my coworkers is absolutely useless. I'm currently in a summer internship with an option for fulltime next year, and I really hope they're viewing us separately rather than as a team because I've been working my ass off for the current project we're working on, but he is absolutely terrible and listening to instructions, motivation, and he doesn't really understand how to do half the things we need to do... and it's making me look bad as well. :/ What do I do?

One of my coworkers is absolutely useless. I'm currently in a summer internship with an option for fulltime next year, and I really hope they're viewing us separately rather than as a team because I've been working my ass off for the current project we're working on, but he is absolutely terrible and listening to instructions, motivation, and he doesn't really understand how to do half the things we need to do... and it's making me look bad as well. :/ What do I do?
How proficient are you at chemistry?

Fcking A!!!!! Was gone for the last week and had a friend stay to dog sit for our pup. Didn’t think we had to explain the parameters of using the window AC units - come home to find they were set on 65degs and this morning they had pooled water on the floor ruining the furniture, soaking the floor board, and bubbling some wall plaster. WTF ?!?!?! Who does that shit with a window unit???? 76-78 energy saver. Done. Running it so low never lets the motor and compressor turn off since it’s impossible to chill the room that low and it wears out the unit.

Reactions: JayH
Fcking A!!!!! Was gone for the last week and had a friend stay to dog sit for our pup. Didn’t think we had to explain the parameters of using the window AC units - come home to find they were set on 65degs and this morning they had pooled water on the floor ruining the furniture, soaking the floor board, and bubbling some wall plaster. WTF ?!?!?! Who does that shit with a window unit???? 76-78 energy saver. Done. Running it so low never lets the motor and compressor turn off since it’s impossible to chill the room that low and it wears out the unit.
Why would your friend even readjust?

Why would your friend even readjust?
The only thing I can fathom, and this is going way out on the “I’m gonna come up with a rational explanation so I don’t think they’re total idiots” limb, but the friend had been until recently living in N.J. where central air is king, and I bet they kept their own house set really low in the 60’s and got frustrated when our apartment wouldn’t cool to that level so they just kept setting the thermostat lower not realizing that’s not how a window unit functions, either from a practical standpoint or from a functional one.

It’s that, or they’re lacking total common sense.

The only thing I can fathom, and this is going way out on the “I’m gonna come up with a rational explanation so I don’t think they’re total idiots” limb, but the friend had been until recently living in N.J. where central air is king, and I bet they kept their own house set really low in the 60’s and got frustrated when our apartment wouldn’t cool to that level so they just kept setting the thermostat lower not realizing that’s not how a window unit functions, either from a practical standpoint or from a functional one.

It’s that, or they’re lacking total common sense.
One day 5 years ago when our girls were 9 and 13, we left them home together for a few hours in the summer. When my wife returned, the windows were wide open, and the air conditioner was set running at the highest speed, with the thermostat set to 60°. This was done to blow-dry the hair of stuffed animal toys. The hair was not in fact wet, only pretend wet. But don't worry, as the 13-year old assured us the AC was on "Energy Saver" so all was good.
I note that she is now 18 and can vote.
OTOH, she was 13 when this happened. I'm not sure what your friend's excuse is.

Last edited:
Well I'm in an annoying predicament.
I was driving on the Van Wyck, exited to the cross island. There's a patch of road that is a bit more bumpy, and at the end is where it turns from asphalt back into concrete slab, which juts out a tiny bit. My car goes over it, and BOOM, a really loud thud, and then a nice, long scrape sound. I pulled over as soon as I could, thinking it was a flat. Went all around my car to check if I could find a problem, but I couldn't... so I got back in and tried driving again. Yet again, scrape. Then I noticed smoke from behind me. So I stayed at about 30 mph with my hazards on, and decided to pull over on side instead of exiting at Exit 33 on the cross island and parking on the side of a road.
I have AAA, so I call them and they say "We are not authorized to go on the Cross Island, so we have to ask a third party to come tow you off of the Cross Island onto a side street, and then we can tow you to wherever from there." So they call the tow company, say "it should be about 30-40 minutes because of traffic. If they don't arrive withing 30 minutes, call them to make sure." This was at about 4:45 (initial bump was about 4:25, then I stopped for 10 minutes to inspect my car, then drove again so the new call was at about 5pm.) At 5:50, when the first half of the game ended, I called the tow company and they said "oh, we just got the call now! We're sending the truck now." Which infuriated me because I'd been waiting for 40 minutes for these asshats. Anyway, 30 minutes later they arrive. The guy hooks up my car and pulls me maybe 1000 feet, takes me off the highway, parks me on road. $145. I then call AAA and ask them to send me another tow truck to then tow me back home, and so the send someone who takes 25 minutes to arrive. Finally the AAA tow truck arrives at about 7:30, and tows me back home, which takes until 8:20ish.

ETA- I forgot to mention, because I decided to not take that exit off the cross island, I had to do the third party tow. Had I just taken that exit off of the highway, I'd have saved $150 AND about 2 hours.

I also found the problem. The front-left side of my car collapsed- usually the wheel well sits a few inches above the wheel, but on the left side it's hugging the wheel itself. So I have a feeling it's either a suspension or axle problem, so I left my car at the mechanic and am going to have him check it out. That's going to be at least $800. I have Geico and we have tow coverage, so I will call Geico and see if they will reimburse for that initial tow of $145.

tl;dr: Car 'boom'ed on Cross Island, took four hours for tow trucks to get home, will probably cost me upwards of $1000-$1500 to fix.

Anyone have any experience with these sorts of things that has any advice?

Well I'm in an annoying predicament.
I was driving on the Van Wyck, exited to the cross island. There's a patch of road that is a bit more bumpy, and at the end is where it turns from asphalt back into concrete slab, which juts out a tiny bit. My car goes over it, and BOOM, a really loud thud, and then a nice, long scrape sound. I pulled over as soon as I could, thinking it was a flat. Went all around my car to check if I could find a problem, but I couldn't... so I got back in and tried driving again. Yet again, scrape. Then I noticed smoke from behind me. So I stayed at about 30 mph with my hazards on, and decided to pull over on side instead of exiting at Exit 33 on the cross island and parking on the side of a road.
I have AAA, so I call them and they say "We are not authorized to go on the Cross Island, so we have to ask a third party to come tow you off of the Cross Island onto a side street, and then we can tow you to wherever from there." So they call the tow company, say "it should be about 30-40 minutes because of traffic. If they don't arrive withing 30 minutes, call them to make sure." This was at about 4:45 (initial bump was about 4:25, then I stopped for 10 minutes to inspect my car, then drove again so the new call was at about 5pm.) At 5:50, when the first half of the game ended, I called the tow company and they said "oh, we just got the call now! We're sending the truck now." Which infuriated me because I'd been waiting for 40 minutes for these asshats. Anyway, 30 minutes later they arrive. The guy hooks up my car and pulls me maybe 1000 feet, takes me off the highway, parks me on road. $145. I then call AAA and ask them to send me another tow truck to then tow me back home, and so the send someone who takes 25 minutes to arrive. Finally the AAA tow truck arrives at about 7:30, and tows me back home, which takes until 8:20ish.

ETA- I forgot to mention, because I decided to not take that exit off the cross island, I had to do the third party tow. Had I just taken that exit off of the highway, I'd have saved $150 AND about 2 hours.

I also found the problem. The front-left side of my car collapsed- usually the wheel well sits a few inches above the wheel, but on the left side it's hugging the wheel itself. So I have a feeling it's either a suspension or axle problem, so I left my car at the mechanic and am going to have him check it out. That's going to be at least $800. I have Geico and we have tow coverage, so I will call Geico and see if they will reimburse for that initial tow of $145.

tl;dr: Car 'boom'ed on Cross Island, took four hours for tow trucks to get home, will probably cost me upwards of $1000-$1500 to fix.

Anyone have any experience with these sorts of things that has any advice?
Sounds like you’re a kid in a car. These things happen. If this is the worst one you’ve suffered, you and your folks are lucky.

Feel bad, hate that it’s a waste of money, all that. But in the end, literally everyone I know has had more costly or worse happen to them at some point between the ages of 15-25. So just chalk it up to life and move on.

Sounds like you’re a kid in a car. These things happen. If this is the worst one you’ve suffered, you and your folks are lucky.

Feel bad, hate that it’s a waste of money, all that. But in the end, literally everyone I know has had more costly or worse happen to them at some point between the ages of 15-25. So just chalk it up to life and move on.
this is the fourth major thing that has happened to this car and I've been debating whether or not it's worth it to junk the car and get a better one, since I've spent easily $5,000 on this one already in two years, but that seems typical of old cars anyway. I just don't have the money to do that right now, juggling the insurance and my school tuition. :/