Onyewu Spotted At Nycfc Training

Can anyone fill us in on what's been going on with Onyewu lately? Doesn't look like he's played much this past season. Injured? Poor form due to aging?

Basically, I want to know how happy I should be with this potential signing.

He was released by Charlton Athletic earlier this year.

Dude was never the same after the knee injury in 2009, which is too bad, as he's a good guy and was a rising star in U.S. Soccer before that.

Look, anything we can do to improve the back 4 at this point is worth trying. I hope he looks good in training, and we give him a shot. He's a tough, physical guy, and unless he is completely spent, is worth a chance.

can we even sign him? I thought registration opens in July. Though at this rate well take anything to try and improve the back line.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
It's been reported on another thread that a couple of the players have signed up to follow him on Twitter. Make of that what you will.

This is a guy who has played in EPL, made the Best XI in the Belgian league twice, and played in two World Cups. Worth a shot without question.

Last edited:
can we even sign him? I thought registration opens in July. Though at this rate well take anything to try and improve the back line.

Free agent off the street. Yes we can sign him now.

What concerns me is I believe DC United had him in for camp and passed on him.

Reactions: Paul
Dude was never the same after the knee injury in 2009, which is too bad, as he's a good guy and was a rising star in U.S. Soccer before that.

Look, anything we can do to improve the back 4 at this point is worth trying. I hope he looks good in training, and we give him a shot. He's a tough, physical guy, and unless he is completely spent, is worth a chance.

It is a shame but much like Charlie Davies not ever reaching his full potential due to injury doesn't mean he can't be a decent MLS player. Considering how bad our D is can't see how giving him a try can hurt.

He's ginormous in person.

I hope he signs. We could really use a physical defender of his size on our back line. MLS is a physical league, the SKC defenders were monsters compared to Wingert and Hernadez last week.

Reactions: Kjbert
Free agent off the street. Yes we can sign him now.

What concerns me is I believe DC United had him in for camp and passed on him.

True but the DC Untied back line isn't constructed of undersized fullbacks playing CB and various cast offs from the MLS trash heap.

Gooch?
kidding+me.gif

I've always loved me some Gooch. Dunno what he's been up to or how good he is anymore though, but experience always helps, i suppose.