Philadelphia - Postmatch

As said in the shout box, Ring is apparently carrying sports hernia, and his knee is still not healed. He seems half the player he can be atm. Should definitely be rested, maybe operated, and try to get him back for the play-offs.

Yeah, he wasn't very mobile yesterday. Not a lot of running.

Dome says it's more important to win the playoffs. So we rest some guys for our road matches, don't even have them travel. Just win at home. Get the third seed. Hopefully don't play Toronto as the 6th. Go from there?

Reactions: canchon
Yeah, he wasn't very mobile yesterday. Not a lot of running.

Dome says it's more important to win the playoffs. So we rest some guys for our road matches, don't even have them travel. Just win at home. Get the third seed. Hopefully don't play Toronto as the 6th. Go from there?
I’d be fine with that strategy if it gets the injured players healthy, and gets real minutes for Lewis, Sands, Scally, SAS, and Awuah. They’ll only get better with competitive game time. Ion the road, if we lose we lose, but at least the goal is to save injured players or those teetering on overuse. Don’t give minutes to Wallace or TMac - that’s just wasteful.

I remember watching NYCFC vs Atlanta last year and Ring and Herrera were two octopuses - nothing got past them in the midfield. I remember thinking for the first time “this midfield can win the cup”.

Fast forward a year and NYCFC has Ring basically on one leg out of that duo.

I remember watching NYCFC vs Atlanta last year and Ring and Herrera were two octopuses - nothing got past them in the midfield. I remember thinking for the first time “this midfield can win the cup”.

Fast forward a year and NYCFC has Ring basically on one leg out of that duo.
Ring hasn’t looked the same since he took that 94th min yellow before the Allstar game.

Ring hasn’t looked the same since he took that 94th min yellow before the Allstar game.

He's been wearing that wrap on his knee for months. I don't think he's been healthy for a vast majority of the season. Depending on what the issue is, I feel like sitting him down for a few weeks, maybe after the Derby, wouldn't be such a bad idea. After that game our schedule through the end of September is:

at CLB
vs NE
vs DC
at MTL
vs CHI
at MIN

Sit Ring for a few weeks during this light stretch, get him right for the playoffs.

He's been wearing that wrap on his knee for months. I don't think he's been healthy for a vast majority of the season. Depending on what the issue is, I feel like sitting him down for a few weeks, maybe after the Derby, wouldn't be such a bad idea. After that game ame our schedule through the end of September is:

at CLB
vs NE
vs DC
at MTL
vs CHI
at MIN

Sit Ring for a few weeks during this light stretch, get him right for the playoffs.
Actually he has stopped wrapping his knee since the Columbus/Montreal week. I don’t doubt something is wrong with him because he just hasn’t looked in form, but I’m not sure it’s due to his knee

This was the first Toronto match, at the end of June.492C1719-5312-4AE5-9EDF-E3946D508A77.png

This was after the Columbus game
90744B8D-18E2-4E38-81F1-183F4B342A6E.png

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski
I partially concur. Myself, I didn't think NYC was as good as its record early on before the first loss. Then I thought they had a strong stretch of games (with 2 clunkers mixed in) from the first Atlanta game to the second, in which results did not live up to the play (accounting for said clunkers).
Since Dome came on, I agree the team has seemed muddled, but I've made allowances for injuries (Herrera, Villa, Johnson, Berget, Shradi,Ring[?]), whatever the hell is going on with Chanot, and the coaching transition. I'm mostly concerned whether Villa, Ring and Chanot -- and now Callens -- get back to form.
Hell, Dome coached his first 8 games without Villa, who got hurt 28 minutes into Torrent's first game. He had 3 straight games where he couldn't start any of Villa, Berget or Shradi (Berget and Shradi came on as late <30 minute subs in one of those games).
Last night was the first time since, Houston maybe?, that I thought the team looked significantly worse than the lineup and matchup warranted. Hell, isn't this forum's standard complaint that our results don't match how the team outplays it's opponents?
Even last week against Toronto, when it seemed for the first time in a while that NYC was a fortunate winner, the Pigeons outplayed Toronto 20/9 on Shots, 7/4 SOG, 591/334 Passes, 84%/72% Passing Accuracy, 64/36 Possession, etc.
What I really cannot sign on to is that this has been the worst stretch of games since 2015. I get that you're not strictly talking results, but do you really think this is worse than the first 8 games of 2016? I saw a team that had a sieve at keeper, gave up multiple turnovers in its own end while stubbornly playing there, could not defend set pieces at all, and scored 4 goals in its first 5 Home games. What did you like in that run of games?
Or how about the 4 games a bit later in in 2016 that comprised a rotated-roster draw in Toronto, RBW(home), a draw with Orlando (Home) that featured a Villa PK miss, and conceding a 2-0 lead in the last 20 minutes including the tying goal at the death, followed by a pathetic 3-2 loss to RSL (again Home), which IMO marked the regular season low-point of the Patrick Vieira era. Finally, if you thought the team deserved much better than 7 points in its last 7 games last year I'd be curious to know why. I will grant the pseudo-home draw to Houston stings, because of the flukey quick restart goal NYC conceded and playing in Hartford. But apart from that the team was meh to worse over that stretch and deserved what it got, sadly.
So, yes, I'm concerned at the team's form now, and also that the injuries responsible for much of it won't improve. Herrera's not coming back, and Villa, Ring, and Chanot are not guaranteed to revive their form. I wish we did better in the transfer window than one solid addition which did not address the biggest needs (LB, and midfield spine). But, I also expect the team has another good run in it. I also have personally resigned myself to NYC probably finishing third for weeks now. I see us winning the home game, and I'm not conceding anything to Atlanta or Red Bulls H2H. Nobody has played 2 better games against Atlanta than this team. And maybe maybe? Dome can do better than Vieira at RBA.

So that's me in my rose glasses right now.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I do suspect this is the worst 5-game stretch since 2015, but I will concede that I haven’t really scrubbed for details (I’m on vacation with 4 kids).

I did have the beginning of 2016 in mind. I remember thinking that while we weren’t grabbing points, we seemed to be playing much better than the prior season. I had a lot of confidence at the time that we would start getting results and make the playoffs.

I hadn’t thought of that second 2016 stretch you mention, but I remember it well. The loss to RSL drove me off the boards and away from the team for 3 weeks. You remember that one - they scored 3 goals on us with 2 shots on goal. And the Orlando tie where the Lions got a header at the death as half our team gave up on the play because the whistle was already late. Again, I think our results lagged our quality in that stretch.

Right now, I think our results are ahead of our quality. The losses to Seattle, Chicago, and Philly weren’t bad luck. They were well deserved. Meanwhile, we were barely able to beat Toronto up a man for 80 minutes - without Jozy’s temper, that’s probably a loss. Even the Orlando win wasn’t strong. We did control possession and were crisp offensively, but we were very poor defending counters (a problem that’s killed us lately), and poor Orlando finishing (4 shots off the post) kept it from being close.

And by the way, 4 of the 5 teams in this stretch are below the playoff line, and 2 are averaging 1 PPG or below.

On the other hand, as you point out, 4 of the 5 games were on the road.

These kinds of analyses are inherently in the eye of the beholder. We are going by our impressions rather than hard evidence (i.e. results). Our overall form looks poor to me. I look forward to them proving me wrong on Wednesday however!

Does anybody else think it’s strange that NYCFC announced immediately that Medina and Callens would miss the next match? Our club never announces anything regarding injuries right away, frankly they don’t even announce some stuff in the injury report late in the week, and yet Glenn’s crooks had the decision same night?

Was Callens favoring a leg during play? I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary other than him being off with a lot of plays, but balked that up to timing and not a limp or favoring his knee.

Does anybody else think it’s strange that NYCFC announced immediately that Medina and Callens would miss the next match? Our club never announces anything regarding injuries right away, frankly they don’t even announce some stuff in the injury report late in the week, and yet Glenn’s crooks had the decision same night?

Was Callens favoring a leg during play? I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary other than him being off with a lot of plays, but balked that up to timing and not a limp or favoring his knee.
I was at the game unfortunately. Post game, I saw Medina being helped off the field being supported by one trainer, essentially hopping on one leg. I also noticed Callens was being supported by two people/trainers on either side of him. He was walking, but with what looked like a noticeable limp off the field.
I too was surprised by this as he was subbed off, as it looked like he was lightly jogging off the field during the sub.

The club didn't announce anything. It was Glenn Crooks that asked a question which Dome likely responded to and posted it on Twitter.

Dome said it in his post-match press conference. He appears to be much more open with stuff like that than we're used to. It's refreshing to get real information.

Dome said it in his post-match press conference. He appears to be much more open with stuff like that than we're used to. It's refreshing to get real information.
Also surprising that anything would be said about player availability before medical staff can take a look at training facility/hospital.

Also surprising that anything would be said about player availability before medical staff can take a look at training facility/hospital.

I agree with you -- it was very jarring to hear. But to be fair, I think all he said was that they would miss the next game -- I don't think it takes much to be able to tell that an injured player probably won't be ready in 5 days.

I agree with you -- it was very jarring to hear. But to be fair, I think all he said was that they would miss the next game -- I don't think it takes much to be able to tell that an injured player probably won't be ready in 5 days.
I’m not disagreeing with you, but considering we have players listed as Questionable and Probable and still don’t play, or do play, and these two weren’t examined in a controlled environment or had the gauntlet of scans performed, or even a night’s rest, it’s just interesting to see such a hot take from the club/coach when at other times they don’t even put forth a cold take.

So we're not showing how we will really play to win MLS Cup so teams can't scout us?
I think the idea was that Domé was okay with a period of poor play while they adjusted to and tinkered with new tactics, so long as everything was installed and running properly for the playoffs.