Philly Postmatch

One thing we learned about this team today:

This club's got balls. It takes some serious brass ones to be down 1-0 with ten minutes left, third game in six days and six games in 20 days, to actually make that comeback.

That's a hell of a win. It couldn't have been easy to dig deep -- and look at the way Philly played after we took the lead. They were standing around, hands on their hips, they were in give-up. We never got there. That's a really good thing to see as we hit the middle point of the season.

That's a professional win.

I love how this forum could go from is PV an MLS quality coach? to Vieira lets us play such amazing Soccer.
The Forum really wants to believe in PV and gives him his due when warranted, but when he man-manages a game like Wednesday, and it happens far more often than it should, we get pretty fickle. It's like the USOpen Cup last year when he said we'd take it seriously, and then puts out a JV team and we loose. Or the RSL game this year where he pretty much put out the equivalent of that same USOcup lineup and we drop points. But then he manages a game like today, where every move worked, and we're content again.

The Forum really wants to believe in PV and gives him his due when warranted, but when he man-manages a game like Wednesday, and it happens far more often than it should, we get pretty fickle. It's like the USOpen Cup last year when he said we'd take it seriously, and then puts out a JV team and we loose. Or the RSL game this year where he pretty much put out the equivalent of that same USOcup lineup and we drop points. But then he manages a game like today, where every move worked, and we're content again.
I understand what you're saying I was just joking around.

Reactions: Kjbert
Conte has already emphatically denied this rumor.
Every owner/GM emphatically gives his/her coach a solid public vote of confidence days before showing them the door. There's no reason this cannot be the inverse.

Reactions: canchon
I love how this forum could go from is PV an MLS quality coach? to Vieira lets us play such amazing Soccer.

We're better playing on our front foot than our back foot. It's obvious that we don't know how to shut a game down defensively.

What's interesting is with our possession, we can close a game down by playing keep away

We're better playing on our front door than our back foot. It's obvious that we don't know how to shut a game down defensively.

What's interesting is with our possession, we can close a game down by playing keep away
100%. Our keepaway ain't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than our attempts to "absorb pressure" (i.e., giving up goals, then the ghost). Plus, it's a lot more fun, if we're going to lose, to go down swinging.

100%. Our keepaway ain't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than our attempts to "absorb pressure" (i.e., giving up goals, then the ghost). Plus, it's a lot more fun, if we're going to lose, to go down swinging.

The "safe" play of course is to bring on defenders and bunker down, but with our philosophy, having Pirlo on at the end of a match may be as effective as Lopez

After what I saw from Lewis today, he'd be a cold assassin closing out a game. He either ties up 2+ guys in the corner with his stepovers or he beats them cleanly driving along the endline for a pull-back cross to Villa.

I just felt like we had no choice but to play that way at the end. Look at the personnel on the field. As soon as we took the lead, I thought we might be in trouble playing what was, in essence, a 3-3-4. It's a good thing Philly totally clocked out of that game after we took the lead because that was not the personnel I wanted protecting a lead.

I just felt like we had no choice but to play that way at the end. Look at the personnel on the field. As soon as we took the lead, I thought we might be in trouble playing what was, in essence, a 3-3-4. It's a good thing Philly totally clocked out of that game after we took the lead because that was not the personnel I wanted protecting a lead.
It was a 334 on attack, but Mata can play defender and both Villa and Lewis can drop into the midfield with Okoli up top - that's the equivalent of a 451, or the way Mata pushes a 361.

A follow up to the Moss/Vieira sideline incident. It didn't appear on the telecast. Don't know if a camera picked it up.

"We can look forward to a clash with the New York Red Bulls in a week and half to two weeks." - Ben Sweat

Guy needs more City media training.

Well that was about as quick a turnaround from Abject frustration to fairly complete satisfaction as your ever likely to see.

We're so much better than them it's ridiculous it ever came to this. A few unlucky moments with hitting the post and few good saves and maybe just a bit of poor finishing put in the situation where it looked like we were going to get robbed.

Really liked what I saw from Lewis. Wonder why it's taken him this long to get a run out? Could be our supersub for the rest of the year.

Great to have Mata back now we just need our U'20's to knock Venezuela out and we can be about back to full strength.

Agree with Midas while it'll be nice to finish top 2 as long as we're full strength (healthy no suspensions) going into the playoffs I like our chances of a long run this time around.

That also happened. But there was a moment earlier where Sweat was upset that he didn't get the ball from Villa. At least I thought so. I was admittedly getting confused by Tmac's short haircut.

There was also that weird moment where TMac tried to grab Villa and Villa brushed him off
Also towards the end of the game Philly played a long ball to our corner and Sweat was well positioned on his man. Then got outran and out muscled and committed a foul outside the box instead of letting the attacker get the ball and go in only one direction (to the corner). Maxi ripped him. Couple minutes later on a similar play in the same area maxi out worked someone and stole the ball in the same area. Dude has earned my respect so far.

Last edited: