"Pigeons" and "Bluebirds" Catching On...

I've noticed the announcers starting to say "city" when referring to our club. Not all the time but definitely enough to notice.

I for one don't like referring to the team as "city" because I think it just emphasizes the link to CFG/MCFC and makes the team feel less unique to me. And for me, "blues" is more of a descriptor than a nickname... it's a color (and there are TONS of "blue" team in MLS). Just my opinion.

I like the Pigeons thing because I think it's fun/unique and fan created. There will never be unanimity about any team name... so people will run with what they run with. More so I just like the idea of having a nickname... ANY nickname... it's tradition in American sports and it gives the team character/flavor. There are a lot of Squirrels in NYC too, just sayin...

tumblr_lu3hlyHG5Z1qza49co1_500.png

We had a deal!

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
tumblr_lu3hlyHG5Z1qza49co1_500.png

We had a deal!

Great idea! The NYCFC Costanzas has a great ring to it. And it has the perfect number of syllables to chant -- Co - stan - zas. Let's go Co - stan - zas! Oh, you meant Pigeons? :)

We also have a ton of roaches and rats, if it was the 90's we could've been the NYC gangsters, or NYC crackheads in the 80's. Just because we have alot of something doesn't mean we should be called it. There are only 70,000 bald eagles and thats our national bird let's be more creative.

Reactions: Vallos and Ulrich
We also have a ton of roaches and rats, if it was the 90's we could've been the NYC gangsters, or NYC crackheads in the 80's. Just because we have alot of something doesn't mean we should be called it. There are only 70,000 bald eagles and thats our national bird let's be more creative.

The Dirty water dogs?

I expect we're not going to come up with anything widespread and remotely unique. Almost 2-years in we have Pigeons, Celestes, City, and Blues. Pigeons is the only original one and lots of people just hate it. The other 3 have sizeable but clearly less than majority appeal, and can only clearly relate to NYCFC in context. They're not going away but they're not going to be The One Main name that everyone supports either. I'd like to see something else original rise up, and I've given it a fair amount of thought over 2-years, but I don't think anything new will happen until we get the stadium. Something based on its location or design could arise and gain momentum, but for now I think we're left with the choices we have.

It's not held in the highest regard from a societal perspective, but it'd be very fitting if we go on to win our conference, supporters shield, or MLS title: Robber Barons. The rest of the league already hates us, and if we were to take one of those spots as a second year club, especially considering how many Robber Barons are from NYC, then it'd just be fitting with CFG as our owner. While having negative connotations, I could get behind that as the villain of the league. And Barons for short.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
It's not held in the highest regard from a societal perspective, but it'd be very fitting if we go on to win our conference, supporters shield, or MLS title: Robber Barons. The rest of the league already hates us, and if we were to take one of those spots as a second year club, especially considering how many Robber Barons are from NYC, then it'd just be fitting with CFG as our owner. While having negative connotations, I could get behind that as the villain of the league. And Barons for short.
That's not bad. I don't think it will catch on but I like it, in part because I think that it's kind of unfair to both the original group and to us. *

* The "Robber Barons" were a mixed bunch. They deserve some of the criticism they get, but they also get little credit for the good they did and what they accomplished, which is as far as I'll go with history, economics or politics here.

not likely to catch on. People hate pigeons too.

Might have already been mentioned but the NY state bird is the Bluebird, and they are blue and orange. And they are totally bad ass and routinely flip other birds the bird.
That I could get behind! Or the Robber Baron Bluebird.... (that of course is tongue-in-cheek)

Last edited: