"Pigeons" and "Bluebirds" Catching On...

Really? It's eight crying emoji's worth of crazy that the state bird that shares our team colors could be used as a mascot?
Yup.
Possible mascot? sure possible, but it won't even catch up to the pigeon.
Such an obvious mascot? Nah. I'm liberal with my use of crying-laughing emoji's, don't take it personal.

Odd-Couple-Sisters1.png

The Coo-Coo Pigeon Sisters approve.

Bluebirds are New York State. Pigeons are quintessential New York City. Las Palomas represents both our city and our international connection. They are dirty and flying rats, but there is no better identity for us. Las Palomas por favor.

Las Palomas de Gotham City Subway Riding BlueBird Eating Robber Baron Blue Rat Pigeons

You'll all have to help me out here, but let's compare Pigeons to other MLS teams.

Impact
Revolution
Union (Philly)
United (DC aka Racoons h/t Derek Villa)
red Bulls
Reds (Toronto)
Lions (Orlando)
Fire
Crew

(Dallas- do they have a nickname?)
Rapids
RSL (claret and cobalt?)
Galaxy
SKC (nickname?)
Whitecaps
Timbers
Earthquakes
Sounders
Dynamo

Horrendous category:
Red Bulls - most embarrasing moniker in the entire world of sports

unoriginal:
Union, FC dallas, SKC, RSL

1990s sounding
Galaxy, Revolution, Crew, Impact, Dynamo

boring, not immediately identifiable with soccer team
reds, Lions, rapids

Original, and immediate team recognition
Fire, Whitecaps, Timbers, Quakes, Sounders, Pigeons

in the original group, I like the timbers, fire and the quakes. Sounders and whitecaps are pretty relaxing names.

I'm fine with Pigeons, you can make them look mean in artwork, they are ubiquitous in cities and THE city, super smart and cool animals, Palomas sounds cool for my latin hermanas y hermanos, piccione for the italians.

Last edited:
You'll all have to help me out here, but let's compare Pigeons to other MLS teams.

Impact
Revolution
Union (DC and Philly)
red Bulls
Reds (Toronto)
Lions (Orlando)
Fire
Crew

Rapids
RSL (claret and cobalt?)
Galaxy
SKC (nickname?)
Whitecaps
Timbers
Earthquakes
Sounders
Dynamo

Horrendous category:

unoriginal:

1990s sounding

reds, Lions, rapids

in the original group, I like the timbers, fire and the quakes. Sounders and whitecaps are pretty relaxing names.

I'm fine with Pigeons, you can make them look mean in artwork, they are ubiquitous in cities and THE city, super smart and cool animals, Palomas sounds cool for my latin hermanas y hermanos, piccione for the italians.
In truth, the Dynamo is a very Eastern European name for many clubs - so that should be listed under unoriginal.

Also, Rapids, while alluding to the Colorado river system, is also a play on a traditional Soccer club name, Rapid Vienna..... so also unoriginal (but is trying to be creative with the 'S').

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Red Bulls wouldn't be bad at all if there wasn't a shit energy drink already bearing the name that owns them. You could even argue the connection to the Wall Street bull.

Reactions: Ulrich
In truth, the Dynamo is a very Eastern European name for many clubs - so that should be listed under unoriginal.

Also, Rapids, while alluding to the Colorado river system, is also a play on a traditional Soccer club name, Rapid Vienna..... so also unoriginal (but is trying to be creative with the 'S').
Was going to make the same point re Dynamo.

Impact
Revolution
Union (DC and Philly)
red Bulls
Reds (Toronto)
Lions (Orlando)
Fire
Crew

Rapids
RSL (claret and cobalt?)
Galaxy
SKC (nickname?)
Whitecaps
Timbers
Earthquakes
Sounders
Dynamo

Horrendous category:

unoriginal:

1990s sounding

reds, Lions, rapids

DC is also is known as the racoons or los mapache.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT