Please... Help Me Out.

Holy ****.... lol

You're the one that pointed out our 11 game winless streak and said it was an "achievement". So I showed you that winning ~10 games is really pretty much average to slightly above average, factually, and you say it's arbitrary. Obviously, I wouldn't go to points since points include ties and you obviously weren't happy with our ties in our 11 game winless (not losing) streak.

Then, you make a bunch of baseless and arbitrary excuses for all those other teams. Newsflash: The contraction was in 2001. Expansion didn't begin again until 2005. So your wacky, little excuse about the other teams being overpowered by absorbing Miami and Tampa's talent is just hilarious. Besides, there was a hard salary cap in 2005. No DPs. So it's not like anyone was financially strong-arming little Salt Lake.
View attachment 3573

So only 1 team, since the contraction, averaged .01 points more than NYC per game from scratch. Strong argument.

Seriously, this is not trolling, you're just not that bright so I'm going to stop replying to you now.

Ha! you never said any such thing that winning 10 games was pretty much average. You were trumpeting Kreis' thesis for his successful year - winning ten games as a from-scratch team.

What was arbitrary was Kreis, and by extension you, thinking that double digit wins is some magical threshold. Why not aim for 11 wins because that's a repetitive digit number and seems a bit more interesting than the sole two binary members standing next to each other? Sorry, that probably just unintentionally shot way over your head. just as me not liking ties, which by the way I never said I didn't like - being down on a winless streak is not transitive to conclude that ties are bad - they're simply a push that removes a third of the points from the table.

Sometimes the truth is tragically funny, or as you describe it hilarious. After Contraction, there were only ten teams - since there weren't any DPs, and foreign players were limited to diamonds-in-the-rough (low price/high value), then the teams were primarily relying on Americans via the draft and MNT. Fewer teams meant a higher concentration of quality Americans between them. Those teams had 4 years to stock up on the best available before Expansion took place - the new teams had very little recourse with a hard cap and no DPs (you actually prove my point for me). Compare that to this year's expansion where the American talent is more widely dispersed/diluted, there are DP's to reinforce rosters that lack American talent, and Allocation $$ galore. One would hope the modern expansion team would perform better than it's predecessors, and NYCFC almost did despite it's coach's best tactical, lineup & motivational efforts, but it still didn't by virtue of SJ.

I'm going to go back to playing with my wood blocks now

Reactions: Gavin23
The haters hate NYCFC. They hate us because we have superstars named Villa, Lampard and Pirlo. They hate us because we play in Yankee Stadium. They hate us because we share ownership and home jersey colors with Man City and now they hate us because Kreis was fired. Thats the difference in the poll results. When the poll is NYCFC supporters who have been attending or watching every game on tv, most are ok with the firing because of the problems we saw during the season. When the Kreis poll includes the rest of the league they hate on us.

I haven't seen the official stats but I am pretty sure we have the highest average road attendance in MLS. Pretty much every team in MLS is better off because of NYCFC. The rest of MLS can hate that Kreis was canned and their fans are more likely to attend their team's games if their team is playing NYCFC.

Ha! you never said any such thing that winning 10 games was pretty much average. You were trumpeting Kreis' thesis for his successful year - winning ten games as a from-scratch team.

What was arbitrary was Kreis, and by extension you, thinking that double digit wins is some magical threshold. Why not aim for 11 wins because that's a repetitive digit number and seems a bit more interesting than the sole two binary members standing next to each other? Sorry, that probably just unintentionally shot way over your head. just as me not liking ties, which by the way I never said I didn't like - being down on a winless streak is not transitive to conclude that ties are bad - they're simply a push that removes a third of the points from the table.

Sometimes the truth is tragically funny, or as you describe it hilarious. After Contraction, there were only ten teams - since there weren't any DPs, and foreign players were limited to diamonds-in-the-rough (low price/high value), then the teams were primarily relying on Americans via the draft and MNT. Fewer teams meant a higher concentration of quality Americans between them. Those teams had 4 years to stock up on the best available before Expansion took place - the new teams had very little recourse with a hard cap and no DPs (you actually prove my point for me). Compare that to this year's expansion where the American talent is more widely dispersed/diluted, there are DP's to reinforce rosters that lack American talent, and Allocation $$ galore. One would hope the modern expansion team would perform better than it's predecessors, and NYCFC almost did despite it's coach's best tactical, lineup & motivational efforts, but it still didn't by virtue of SJ.

I'm going to go back to playing with my wood blocks now
Often times, after reading your replies, I sit here and wonder, "Is he trolling me or is he serious?"

I think you're serious.

So let me walk you through it. Take these numbers:

2005 Los Angeles: 4 wins [New]
2005 Salt Lake: 5 wins [New]
2006 Houston: 11 wins [Relocated from San Jose]
2007 Toronto: 6 wins [New]
2008 San Jose: 8 wins [New]
2009 Seattle: 12 wins [Promoted from USL]
2010 Philadelphia: 8 wins [New]
2011 Vancouver: 6 wins [Promoted from USL]
2011 Portland: 11 wins [Promoted from USL]
2012 Montreal: 12 wins [Promoted from NASL]
2015 Orlando: 12 wins [Promoted from USL]
2015 NYC: 10 wins [New]

Adjust them for games played in a season (if you like) to get a wins per game and average them and see where NYC falls. Chances are it's either spot on average or probably just a hair above the average. It's not "randomly" picking a number like 11, it's finding what's the fucking average wins to be expected of an expansion club.

Now your EXCUSES for the 2005 teams, those are arbitrary and completely baseless. One of the teams was a sister club to one of the largest clubs in Mexico - they had resources that could compete with the all-powerful 2005 MLS. An MLS that was apparently super-charged, in Ulrich's mind, by the unstoppable powers that Miami and Tampa possessed from 4 years prior.

Your arguments are so laughable and so desperate, I'd imagine you're joking but your persistence suggests otherwise.

The next step is to look at each of those expansion rosters and think which of these teams had a better roster than NYCFC compared to the average team in the league that year. Houston wasn't really an expansion team, the franchise moved. If you argued Montreal really well you might be able to convince me, but the rest of those teams -- no way. Even with 10 wins in our expansion season we underperformed given the talent on our squad.

The next step is to look at each of those expansion rosters and think which of these teams had a better roster than NYCFC compared to the average team in the league that year. Houston wasn't really an expansion team, the franchise moved. If you argued Montreal really well you might be able to convince me, but the rest of those teams -- no way. Even with 10 wins in our expansion season we underperformed given the talent on our squad.
uhhhhh.....we had 1 DP for 60% of the season. What great talent advantage did we possess in your mind?

Then we had 36 and 37 year old guys coming into midseason games after being on vacation for a month and that's after full seasons in Europe.

Just look how 30 year old Clint Dempsey fared his first half season when he tried that at 30. It was terrible.

David Villa is one of the best players in the league. Only about 3 teams had a striker with more goals. We are getting into trivia beyond what i know but when i look at those expansion teams i dont see any with a comparable goal scorer to rely on

Reactions: Gavin23
So with the whole Kreis discussion taking place I held a poll. On the forums and on Twitter. On our end the results were fairly similar. Both on Twitter and the forums it was very close.
See below.
View attachment 3570

Shortly after I put up the tweet I was informed EoS had been running one. I left ours up since I was a bit surprised by the direction theirs was going. Completely opposite end of the spectrum. I feel that our vote count of over 100 is a good base for an accurate poll so despite the fact they garnered more votes I would imagine they'd be at least somewhat close.

So, what do you think this says about our supporter base. Let's be clear, my Twitter account and this forum are made up of mostly NYCFC supporters. Whereas the EoS is a mixture. A lot of his followers have been there for years as Cosmos and RB fans as well.
Still, it's a bit surprising the difference in the polls. What does it say about our base?
New to MLS and expect success due to being in NY or having followed successful foreign clubs etc. or is it because a lot of supporters who are new to MLS aren't familiar with Kreis' past successes and can't stand to give him another year of what he has shown us. I can see where MLS supporters who have been around some years and follow EoS are familiar with Kreis and his past can stand to give him more time. I think at the end of the day that's what it comes down to.

Dan, first of all I don't know of any real NYCFC fan that goes to EOS for their NYCFC or NYC soccer news. That site is just awful. I don't know what they can do to make it better but EOS is so biased in everything they do, its laughable. All of those responses that they got I would guess 90% are non NYCFC fans so, in short, don't sweat it.

I have a habit of reading all posts before I post. I don't know, I want to be informed and not re-tread old ground I suppose. But that's a losing strategy when the fire is raging like this. Fuck me, I hope CFG hires someone soon before we tear each other apart.

With the caveat that I haven't read most of this thread, or the dregs of the raging shitstorm that is the "Kreis officially out" thread, and at the risk of sounding presumptuous:

Each of us has a currency and a position. Often we get locked in debate over our relative positions because they are incompatible. Getting ourselves out of deadlock often involves being firm on currency and loose on position. Currency is what we value. It's often easier to find compatibilities in what we value. So what do we value? It's clear that we are passionate about this club. There's also probably some definition of discussion (that involves healthy, constructive disagreement) that we are all here for and value, too. Is anybody actually having fun throwing flames at one another? Maybe we can agree that we don't value that.

I have a habit of reading all posts before I post. I don't know, I want to be informed and not re-tread old ground I suppose. But that's a losing strategy when the fire is raging like this. Fuck me, I hope CFG hires someone soon before we tear each other apart.

With the caveat that I haven't read most of this thread, or the dregs of the raging shitstorm that is the "Kreis officially out" thread, and at the risk of sounding presumptuous:

Each of us has a currency and a position. Often we get locked in debate over our relative positions because they are incompatible. Getting ourselves out of deadlock often involves being firm on currency and loose on position. Currency is what we value. It's often easier to find compatibilities in what we value. So what do we value? It's clear that we are passionate about this club. There's also probably some definition of discussion (that involves healthy, constructive disagreement) that we are all here for and value, too. Is anybody actually having fun throwing flames at one another? Maybe we can agree that we don't value that.

Nice raging. I approve.

Reactions: JayH

Damn. That's some serious Getting to Yes, go to mediation, sing some kumbayah shit you just laid down. Bravo sir.

What I value:
  • Tactical and strategic insights
  • Crazy statistical analysis
  • News breaking here before it hits anywhere else on the interwebs
  • Going to meaningless games in October and cheering as hard as I did in March and July
  • Optimism
  • roxfontaine
  • The ball Saunders handed my daughter after a game, making her a soccer fan for life
  • The fact that I always thought the Villa chant was, "Villa, Villa, Villa, We all wanna be ya!"
  • The fact that now that I know the real Villa chant, I still chant it my way
  • And most of all, the feeling I have with the sun on my face, hanging with 30,000 of my friends when the opening whistle blows, and knowing that win, lose, or draw, I'm in for 90 minutes of excitement
  • Snark (amended as per Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan with apologies for the oversight)
As you said, Christopher Jee Christopher Jee, everything else is just positions.

Last edited:
Damn. That's some serious Getting to Yes, go to mediation, sing some kumbayah shit you just laid down. Bravo sir.

What I value:
  • Going to meaningless games in October and cheering as hard as I did in March and July
  • Optimism
  • roxfontaine
  • The ball Saunders handed my daughter after a game, making her a soccer fan for life
  • The fact that I always thought the Villa chant was, "Villa, Villa, Villa, We all wanna be ya!"
  • And most of all, the feeling I have with the sun on my face, hanging with 30,000 of my friends when the opening whistle blows, and knowing that win, lose, or draw, I'm in for 90 minutes of excitement
As you said, Christopher Jee Christopher Jee, everything else is just positions.
This

What I value:
  • Optimism
  • roxfontaine
What about snark? Why can't you value snark?

What I value:
  • Optimism
  • roxfontaine
  • Snark (amended as per Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan with apologies for the oversight)
That's some seriously heartwarming stuff. Never read Getting To Yes, probably just handpicked some terminology from something derivative of it *shrugs*

Reactions: FootyLovin
The haters hate NYCFC. They hate us because we have superstars named Villa, Lampard and Pirlo. They hate us because we play in Yankee Stadium. They hate us because we share ownership and home jersey colors with Man City and now they hate us because Kreis was fired. Thats the difference in the poll results. When the poll is NYCFC supporters who have been attending or watching every game on tv, most are ok with the firing because of the problems we saw during the season. When the Kreis poll includes the rest of the league they hate on us.

I haven't seen the official stats but I am pretty sure we have the highest average road attendance in MLS. Pretty much every team in MLS is better off because of NYCFC. The rest of MLS can hate that Kreis was canned and their fans are more likely to attend their team's games if their team is playing NYCFC.
Agree 100%. I've said it before and I'll say it again............for whatever reason this team came into the league with a huge target on its back and the village idiots who infest the 'net have nova-like orgasms everytime the team stumbles. NYCFC can go 34 & 0 in 2016, steam roll its way to the Cup and you would still find assholes looking to validate their authenticity by shoveling shit.

What I value:
  • Optimism
  • roxfontaine
Best post ever.

Agree 100%. I've said it before and I'll say it again............for whatever reason this team came into the league with a huge target on its back and the village idiots who infest the 'net have nova-like orgasms everytime the team stumbles. NYCFC can go 34 & 0 in 2016, steam roll its way to the Cup and you would still find assholes looking to validate their authenticity by shoveling shit.

Best post ever.
They need to get their jollies in now. NYCFC was created to be the Yankees. A perennial winner that every other team can hate, while packing in the stadiums every time we travel.

They need to get their jollies in now. NYCFC was created to be the Yankees. A perennial winner that every other team can hate, while packing in the stadiums every time we travel.
yep.gif

This is true, but at the same time we can just throw up and discount valid criticism just because "haters gonna hate."

Reactions: Gene