Problems To Fix: Let's Take A Look To Our Roster. Part 1.

I would have loved to see Iheanacho here, he tore it up against skc a year or two ago in a friendly but unfortunately he was told not to come to MLS so i think he's loaned off somewhere in italy right now

Speaking of options at RB in MLS, I would look at other club's benches to find something. Maybe Chris Klute at Columbus, or maybe Tim Parker at Vancouver. Still hard to see a trade happening, NYCFC is too thin for trades.

Here's an exercise in how we might realistically improve during this season.

Pick 3 positions on the field to upgrade - could be by trade, loan, new signing, the 3rd DP. Let's assume one is a major upgrade (3rd DP), two are more incremental. What positions do you choose?

For this exercise, you can assume we are healthy, and you can assume Frank Lampard is already in the fold.

We need pace in the back 4, a solid holding midfielder, better quality finishing. The first two are more critical, so you use the DP slot on one of those.

I could even be convinced that once Lampard arrives, we will have better service to Villa and therefore would not need anything more in the attack.

Reactions: AJS and MagnusPax
What's the current roster size, if we don't count Mendoza? 28 is the new limit.

We need pace in the back 4, a solid holding midfielder, better quality finishing. The first two are more critical, so you use the DP slot on one of those.

I could even be convinced that once Lampard arrives, we will have better service to Villa and therefore would not need anything more in the attack.
I agree with this. There are enough viable options upfront that things could come together and so I wouldn't make it a top priority. But, we need a true holding midfielder who can win and distribute the ball and we desperately some pace in the fullback spots.

I would sign this guy. Take advantage of our narrow home field.

I would have loved to see Iheanacho here, he tore it up against skc a year or two ago in a friendly but unfortunately he was told not to come to MLS so i think he's loaned off somewhere in italy right now

Iheanacho is just recovering from a serious injury. He's playing out the last few games of the season in MCFC's u-21 team. He scored in both of the cup finals they just played in.

There's talk that they want to call him up to the senior team next season, but then there was similar talk a year ago so who knows which way it will go.

I think we are putting square pegs in round holes. Not at all sure why they play the formation that they seem to almost weekly.

My weekly column touches on it a bit, and I am preparing a far more in depth formation article.

http://www.nycfcblues.com/2015/05/tactical-conundrum/
While I applaud your article, I disagree with it. A change of formation doesn't change things for NYCFC. If we didn't start Allen, who gets the nod? Does that person not also get eaten by Sam? You mock Grabovoy for losing possession to Kljesten, but who else makes that play who doesn't get filleted? McNamara? Velasquez? Is that your solution? It's easy to say Player A sucks or we should change formation. But reality is if Player A isn't there, you have Player B who isn't as good. So right now the solution is leave it and hope chemistry and time helps things or roll dice and hope a new player changes things. Kreis is a wait and see kinda guy.

Reactions: SayWhat44
So someone is walking when Frank gets here.
I can see a couple guys getting loaned out to Wilmington this summer maybe Macnamara and Dunn. Get them some playing time and free up a roster spot for any summer additions.