Quakes Postmatch

Not disputing this. But at the same time when this forum was screaming for changes throughout April, PV stuck with his plans and turned out to be right. That seemed pretty mature to me where a rookie coach could easily mistakenly flail around for "fixes" instead of staying the course.
Plan being wait for Lampard and Jack to play?

Reactions: 413Blue
Plan being wait for Lampard and Jack to play?
Actually, yes. And in the meantime, continue with the current system to build comfort and understanding so that when Frank and Jack show up everyone else is already working well. Had PV spent April and May tinkering, Jack and Frank might not have slotted in as easily as they did to a system that was in flux.

Actually, yes. And in the meantime, continue with the current system to build comfort and understanding so that when Frank and Jack show up everyone else is already working well. Had PV spent April and May tinkering, Jack and Frank might not have slotted in as easily as they did to a system that was in flux.
We did flip back and forth with 3/4 man back lines. I know you want to school me on this, but I'm not disagreeing. Just pointing out he did tinker some. In this instance, everyone is right.

We also figured some stuff out, like don't start Lopez, play Iraola in midfield, etc. But it's not binary. He could be philosophically consistent, and still not have figured out subs just yet.

I wonder how much three cross country flights in a week and a half affected Pirlo and Villa.
Probably some. Can't argue with Pirlo since he was part of 4pts in the two games. But in many ways I wish Villa had been granted a mini vacation and stayed in SJ until the team arrived this week. Keep him fresh since he wasn't playing vs Colorado anyway.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Probably some. Can't argue with Pirlo since he was part of 4pts in the two games. But in many ways I wish Villa had been granted a mini vacation and stayed in SJ until the team arrived this week. Keep him fresh since he wasn't playing vs Colorado anyway.
You can't film Sesame Street in San Jose. And apparently Cookie Monster was only available this week.

Not disputing this. But at the same time when this forum was screaming for changes throughout April, PV stuck with his plans and turned out to be right. That seemed pretty mature to me where a rookie coach could easily mistakenly flail around for "fixes" instead of staying the course.
Remember Capello at AC Milan was good at winning the seasons but poor at winning playoff style matches. Coaches have different strengthens and and weaknesses.

Yes, but he needed to train with the team.

And sign an autograph for my kid.

Plus, he has his own kids at home.

We did flip back and forth with 3/4 man back lines. I know you want to school me on this, but I'm not disagreeing. Just pointing out he did tinker some. In this instance, everyone is right.

We also figured some stuff out, like don't start Lopez, play Iraola in midfield, etc. But it's not binary. He could be philosophically consistent, and still not have figured out subs just yet.
Now why would you ever think I'd want to school you?

I agree. There is room for our views to converge here. He did tinker, but they were mostly small.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Now why would you ever think I'd want to school you?

I agree. There is room for our views to converge here. He did tinker, but they were mostly small.

To bring balance to The Force.

Eta: and because why forum at all if we can't debate points of minutiae into the ground. Schooling, in this instance, was meant in the playground hoops sense, ie, get the better of the argument. Not sure that was totally clear.

Just watched on DVR

Mendozza sucks
Taylor sucks

Everyone else was extremely meh

Except Saunders. He had a nice game. MOTM in my opinion.

I've been pondering this a bit since the game, but it's a travesty that the league allowed the game to be played at 11pm EST / 8pm Pacific. That immediately put NYCFC at a disadvantage from bio-chemistry/performance standpoint since there are very definite periods during the day when the body goes into slowdown/shutdown mode. This very much could be why the players seemed to literally be sleepwalking through the game.

The latest an East team should have to play is the equivalent of 9pm (6 pacific).

A west team is affected far less because the studies show that the optimal time (outside of early morning) to peak perform is late afternoon, so a 7pm EST game is really a 4pm pacific match.

From the Behind the Scenes video, Mendoza's better chance. His first touch after the though ball from Villa is his chip attempt. Not even a dribble, first touch of the ball is to chip Bingham where he has a few yards to work with to go around him, maybe get tripped and called a penalty, but improve his percentage to score.

Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 3.27.44 PM.png

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I've been pondering this a bit since the game, but it's a travesty that the league allowed the game to be played at 11pm EST / 8pm Pacific. That immediately put NYCFC at a disadvantage from bio-chemistry/performance standpoint since there are very definite periods during the day when the body goes into slowdown/shutdown mode. This very much could be why the players seemed to literally be sleepwalking through the game.

The latest an East team should have to play is the equivalent of 9pm (6 pacific).

A west team is affected far less because the studies show that the optimal time (outside of early morning) to peak perform is late afternoon, so a 7pm EST game is really a 4pm pacific match.
I don't disagree at all but I think this particular match was an exception just due to circumstance. If they started the match a 9pm/6pm it would be been smack up against the Olympics opening ceremonies and nobody would have watched. Started at 11pm/8pm gives them a much better chance ratings-wise.

Just a thought.

From the Behind the Scenes video, Mendoza's better chance. His first touch after the though ball from Villa is his chip attempt. Not even a dribble, first touch of the ball is to chip Bingham where he has a few yards to work with to go around him, maybe get tripped and called a penalty, but improve his percentage to score.

View attachment 5513
That's just ridiculously bad judgement. The keep was at the top of the box so one touch to either side would create the angle.

I don't disagree at all but I think this particular match was an exception just due to circumstance. If they started the match a 9pm/6pm it would be been smack up against the Olympics opening ceremonies and nobody would have watched. Started at 11pm/8pm gives them a much better chance ratings-wise.

Just a thought.
I'd wager starting at 11 had fewer fans than competing with the opening ceremony. If women's gymnastics or track and field or swimming, fine, but a march of the athletes isn't a sporting event per se.

And MLS shouldn't let it be about that - they should push for the best possible product on the field where one team isn't half asleep.

Reactions: adam