2024 Schedule Thread

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
Didn't feel this was new thread worthy, so I just figured to drop it here.

The Yankees released their 2024 schedule this afternoon. Admittedly I scanned it quick, but it looks like the team can squeeze in about 12 matches in the Bronx (8 Saturday, 4 Wednesday). It loosens up a bit if Apple allows us a Sunday match or 2. Of course early March is wide open, but the Yankees always seem to be a tad anal about letting us in the building while they're winterizing the field.

I don't know if the Mets released their schedule yet, or TBH what the clubs plans are regarding Queens in 2024.

I have no idea how they shoe horn in any Leagues Cup matches next year if that's still a thing.

Yankees 2024 Schedule

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert

The Yankees released their 2024 schedule this afternoon. Admittedly I scanned it quick, but it looks like the team can squeeze in about 12 matches in the Bronx (8 Saturday, 4 Wednesday). It loosens up a bit if Apple allows us a Sunday match or 2. Of course early March is wide open, but the Yankees always seem to be a tad anal about letting us in the building while they're winterizing the field.

I don't know if the Mets released their schedule yet, or TBH what the clubs plans are regarding Queens in 2024.

I have no idea how they shoe horn in any Leagues Cup matches next year if that's still a thing.

Yankees 2024 Schedule
We usually start the thread about our schedule based on when the Yankees/Mets schedule is announced (until our stadium opens, but it will still be based on Mets/US Open for parking)...

Reactions: Kjbert

Yankees 2024 Schedule

All of MLB released their schedules, so yes the Mets schedule is out, too.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
There's still a month left in the playoffs, and then a month before 2024, and then preseason, but I want to know our damn 2024 schedule already.

Even though I'm coming into the next season with the least amount of optimism as of now.

It would be nice to have the schedule after the season like baseball does. I was listening a Sportico interview awhile back with the Red Bull president. It sounds like the teams are in discusssions with the league into December about the schedule. According to the RB president, the league knew of a potential Messi deal in December and Red Bulls tried to get one of the Messi games. I would not be surprised that NYCFC is forced to host Messi before the baseball season so there is no chance of a conflict.

I would not be surprised that NYCFC is forced to host Messi before the baseball season so there is no chance of a conflict.
I'm in favor of this because if we have to play in 20° weather I'd put money on us rather than the team from sunny, warm Miami LOL

Reactions: JayH and JCMore
Nonsense, he stopped for the leagues cup, so it can be done. Or just get rid of it instead.
MLS owns Leagues Cup. It makes sense that MLS can afford to stop league play for a tournament it co-owns and which generates income but cannot for a tournament run by and for a confederation on another continent.
Of course I'm all for dropping Leagues Cup and always have been. I was reading a r/mls thread last week where several comments, all highly upvoted, said they were all in on Leagues Cup when it happened but in retrospect seeing how it disrupted the season they don't think it was worth it.
Gee, if only everyone had any foresight and who said that in July hadn't been downvoted to hell.

Absolutely not. If we moved to an August-May schedule, it would severely cut the amount of games I attend. I'm not going to games from October-April. Too cold and miserable outside.
Until 2027-28 NYCFC has nowhere to play in the winter except RBA maybe, as YS and City both do that turf winterization thing.

I think it's likely MLS eventually flips the schedule, even if it might be a decade away. I think the new problems it creates are more manageable than the ones it would solve. But either way, MLS biggest scheduling issue will continue to be extreme fixture congestion with rosters constrained by salary rules. Bundesliga plays 34 games in nine months. There is one domestic cup tournament and a few teams are in UCL or Europa. MLS also plays 34 games (with a lot more travel distance), a domestic cup tournament and CCL. But on top of that it has a playoff tournament plus now Leagues Cup. It's probably too much for an unconstrained salary league. It's way, way too much for MLS.

Until 2027-28 NYCFC has nowhere to play in the winter except RBA maybe, as YS and City both do that turf winterization thing.

I think it's likely MLS eventually flips the schedule, even if it might be a decade away. I think the new problems it creates are more manageable than the ones it would solve. But either way, MLS biggest scheduling issue will continue to be extreme fixture congestion with rosters constrained by salary rules. Bundesliga plays 34 games in nine months. There is one domestic cup tournament and a few teams are in UCL or Europa. MLS also plays 34 games (with a lot more travel distance), a domestic cup tournament and CCL. But on top of that it has a playoff tournament plus now Leagues Cup. It's probably too much for an unconstrained salary league. It's way, way too much for MLS.

Fully agree with that last point -- the league needs to severely increase the salary cap so teams can add depth. I would also say that the 30 contracts rule, of which probably only 24 are legit, playable players, needs to be increased. I think if you increased the salary cap and gave teams 40 players on their rosters instead of 30, you'd have enough depth to get through all the games we have to play.

Reactions: gbservis
I think it's likely MLS eventually flips the schedule, even if it might be a decade away.
Gonna have to add some roofs to some stadiums for that. Not going to a February match in Naming Rights Sponsor Stadium when it's 12° with howling winds. The average high temp in Montreal in January is 23°, average lows of 5°. For example.

Gonna have to add some roofs to some stadiums for that. Not going to a February match in Naming Rights Sponsor Stadium when it's 12° with howling winds. The average high temp in Montreal in January is 23°, average lows of 5°. For example.
Genuinely asking, the NFL plays all winter long culminating with the Super Bowl in February. How do Vikings and Packers keep their fans coming in that midwest cold? Or even Pats and Giants/Jets fans in the cold?

Genuinely asking, the NFL plays all winter long culminating with the Super Bowl in February. How do Vikings and Packers keep their fans coming in that midwest cold? Or even Pats and Giants/Jets fans in the cold?
It's not really all winter. Regular season ends right at New Years weekend and that's it for most teams. Winter has barely started at that point. Then you have playoffs in January, which is a total of just 12 games in 3 weekends, half of which are likely to be warm weather. Super Bowl is warm weather or indoors almost always, with the one at MetLife a few years back being an extreme outlier.

Also, the Vikings stadium is indoors, as is Detroit, but yes, they do have plenty of outdoor cold venues including Green Bay, Chicago, Buffalo and other on the Great Lakes and North East. They just deal with it. Fans seem to take a sort of pride in showing up for those games, and while game play is definitely affected football works a lot better in extreme cold and snow than soccer does.
It will be a challenge for MLS, and I think they schedule regionally around the cold weather if they do it. Norway and Sweden play a schedule like ours, not like the rest of Europe. Russia takes an extended midseason break in winter, which just causes congestion elsewhere I'm sure. There's no avoiding the limits of time. I don't see how MLS can fit Nations League in long term. That's just been lunacy. They had an overstuffed schedule as it was and they just decided to take a month off for a new tournament and add 4-6 DGWs to everyone's league fixture list.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and Gene
It’s really not complicated. Play August through December, winter break, then March through May.

Do Nations League, if you must, during winter break in some Mexican and southern US venues.

Reactions: FootyLovin
It’s really not complicated. Play August through December, winter break, then March through May.

Do Nations League, if you must, during winter break in some Mexican and southern US venues.

This would do a severe number to attendance in the northern half of MLS cities.

Too many people don't want to go to games in November, December, May, and April. It's just too cold, rainy, and miserable.

From a purely competitive point of view? Sure; it would work. But this league still makes a lot of its money from gate receipts, and those would take a major hit by not playing in June and July. Come to think of it, when are you doing playoffs in this format? May? So now half the league doesn't get any home gates at all from May-July. It's just a bad idea from a ticketing perspective.

Reactions: KevinJRogers