Race for CCL Spot 2019

Based on the Language in the CONCACAF Document, Have We Qualified For the 2019 CCL? - Moot Poll Now

• Yes - We Qualified

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • No - We Did Not Qualify

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
With the loss:

NYC 74 (26)
ATL 71 (27)
CLB 65 (26)
CHI 62 (28)
POR 61 (27)
NJRB 59 (28)
HOU 58 (28)

Let’s be honest. It’s a two horse race. And it’s the same race for 1st place in the East. Maybe Supporters’ Shield too.

Reactions: Kjbert
Well, the Almiron rumors spreading are nice for our chances.
If he is as consistently good in the next couple of months as he was against us, it is only a matter of time. In some ways, that's too bad, because it's great to have that kind of talent in our league.

Either way, he would still be making the trip to the Bronx on June 9, and that's a game where both sides will be missing a few players on national team duty.

If he leaves, they’ll get a monster transfer fee, and ATL has already shown they’re willing to drop hefty amounts to get DPs, so there’s every reason to think the Almiron $$ will be reinvested in another pricey (translated: skilled) player. The only variable being how far they’re signed and how fast they are intergrated/comfortable with the team’s tactics and style of play. His sale does not foreshadow a weaker team in the long run, and maybe not even the short run (once replaced).

We play Atlanta on June 9, which is our last game before the World Cup break. I don't think he's sold before then so we will have to play against him at Yankee Stadium. That being said, over the course of the rest of the season and the remaining 19 games or so, Atlanta will be without him, which does help our chances.

Reactions: Ulrich
If he leaves, they’ll get a monster transfer fee, and ATL has already shown they’re willing to drop hefty amounts to get DPs, so there’s every reason to think the Almiron $$ will be reinvested in another pricey (translated: skilled) player. The only variable being how far they’re signed and how fast they are intergrated/comfortable with the team’s tactics and style of play. His sale does not foreshadow a weaker team in the long run, and maybe not even the short run (once replaced).
I'd still be happy to see them be forced to replace him, especially mid-season. I see him sitting at the center of almost everything they do. Even a better player at the same position won't do what Almiron does the same way. Thinking of a NYCFC analogue, I would say it's almost akin to making us replace Ring and Moralez midseason. Not to say that Almiron does everything both of those guys do by himself, but he does seem to be as central to Atlanta as those 2 [almost] combined are to us. And even if you gave us an unlimited budget, I'd be very afraid of having to replace both Ring and Maxi, or even one of them -- in midseason.
I do agree it could be a short term benefit only, but I also think right now Almiron is an MVP candidate, in that he might be more singularly responsible for his team than any one other player. Atlanta might be able to get better players, but it will be hard to get one who fits their system better. Similarly, he might not be as valuable on another team in a different system. He is just the perfect cog in their gears.

Last edited:
If he leaves, they’ll get a monster transfer fee, and ATL has already shown they’re willing to drop hefty amounts to get DPs, so there’s every reason to think the Almiron $$ will be reinvested in another pricey (translated: skilled) player.
I'm sure they won't stop spending money, but perhaps they spent the amount they did on Barco, knowing they were going to be raking in a lot of cash for Almiron this summer.

I'm sure they won't stop spending money, but perhaps they spent the amount they did on Barco, knowing they were going to be raking in a lot of cash for Almiron this summer.
Atlanta already has a spent 1.7 million last summer on the right of first refusal for winger Lucas Rodriguez. Seemed odd last summer, but makes alot more sense if they planned on selling Alimron this summer.

Atlanta already has their Almiron replacement in Barco (Mr. Highest MLS Transfer Fee of All-Time). Atlanta moving to a 352 means that Almiron, Villalba, Barco, and Martinez can't all play at the same time.

Atlanta already has their Almiron replacement in Barco (Mr. Highest MLS Transfer Fee of All-Time). Atlanta moving to a 352 means that Almiron, Villalba, Barco, and Martinez can't all play at the same time.
Whether Barco is directly replacing Almiron or just their third DP, it’s all semantics, and the point is that when a Almiron leaves he’ll be replaced by another DP.

Whether Barco is directly replacing Almiron or just their third DP, it’s all semantics, and the point is that when a Almiron leaves he’ll be replaced by another DP.
He will be replacing Almiron in the starting XI when he transfers. Lucas Rodriguez will take the third DP spot and back up both Barco and Villabla. Rodriguez will likely be bought down with TAM and open up a 3rd DP spot in the winter.

He will be replacing Almiron in the starting XI when he transfers. Lucas Rodriguez will take the third DP spot and back up both Barco and Villabla. Rodriguez will likely be bought down with TAM and open up a 3rd DP spot in the winter.
If I’m Tata, I would sure as hell figure out how to get Villalba on the field more. I love the way he plays. A little inconsistent, but absolutely electric when he’s on.

NYC 77 (25)
ATL 74 (26)
CLB 68 (25)
CHI 63 (27)
NJRB 62 (27)
POR 61 (27)
HOU 58 (27)

Almost every team earned points this week. So tight with us and Atlanta. Let’s all hope Almiron rumors are true. I’m also glad we finished so far ahead of NJ last season.

NYC 77 (25)
ATL 74 (26)
CLB 68 (25)
CHI 63 (27)
NJRB 62 (27)
POR 61 (27)
HOU 58 (27)

Almost every team earned points this week. So tight with us and Atlanta. Let’s all hope Almiron rumors are true. I’m also glad we finished so far ahead of NJ last season.
Is the parenthetical number the win count?