Race for CCL Spot 2019

Based on the Language in the CONCACAF Document, Have We Qualified For the 2019 CCL? - Moot Poll Now

• Yes - We Qualified

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • No - We Did Not Qualify

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Is the question what we think the ruling will be or what we think the rules as written should require.

Amended the question to clarify. Per the written rules, what is your opinion of our qualification? Legal scholars here, not bettors on the ruling.

If CONCACAF is ready and willing to declare us in, what would MLS's motivation be to keep us out? You'd think they'd be thrilled to have one of their marquee teams in the CCL.

That’s the question we’re all asking too.

The only thing I can think of is other teams complaining they would have played the end of the season differently if they knew the correct rule. But then those teams had to assume a Canadian team or SKC was winning the Cup. And, they would also be claiming they didn’t try their best to win every match anyway.

Maybe there is some anti NYCFC bias around the league. Or maybe the home office doesn’t believe we have the infrastructure to host the extra matches mid-week in the late-winter, early-spring.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If CONCACAF is ready and willing to declare us in, what would MLS's motivation be to keep us out? You'd think they'd be thrilled to have one of their marquee teams in the CCL.
That’s the question we’re all asking too.

The only thing I can think of is other teams complaining they would have played the end of the season differently if they knew the correct rule. But then those teams had to assume a Canadian team or SKC was winning the Cup. And, they would also be claiming they didn’t try their best to win every match anyway.

Maybe there is some anti NYCFC bias around the league. Or maybe the home office doesn’t believe we have the infrastructure to host the extra matches mid-week in the late-winter, early-spring.

Or maybe MLS always meant it to be a 2-year aggregate, as evidenced by publishing an article that said so more clearly than the rules did, and then when CONCACAF interpreted the rule differently MLS just stuck to its position, instead of folding so one team gets in under what it considers a mistake.

Or maybe MLS always meant it to be a 2-year aggregate, as evidenced by publishing an article that said so more clearly than the rules did, and then when CONCACAF interpreted the rule differently MLS just stuck to its position, instead of folding so one team gets in under what it considers a mistake.

Haha. But... we’ve learned the MLS article was penned by a freelance writer who got his information from a vague press release. He even temporarily changed his own article to reflect the Concacaf report when he thought he was wrong. You’ll need some stronger evidence than that to convince me my blind speculation isn’t on point counselor.

giphy.gif

Reactions: LionNYC and Kjbert
Haha. But... we’ve learned the MLS article was penned by a freelance writer who got his information from a vague press release. He even temporarily changed his own article to reflect the Concacaf report when he thought he was wrong. You’ll need some stronger evidence than that to convince me my blind speculation isn’t on point counselor.

giphy.gif
Assumes facts not in evidence. No reason to think he made the edit. His tweet on the topic suggested nothing of the sort. All we know is someone in MLS media saw the CCF* Media tweet and edited the without checking with anyone of authority.
Which, by the way, is equally consistent with the Occam's razor explanation and the Rube Goldberg ones. Hell, even assume your scenario: it doesn't lean one way or another. Even if the original author made the temp edit he did it without authority. That tells us nothing about the motivations of the decision maker.

* I'm tired of typing CONCACAF. This is my new abbreviation.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Assumes facts not in evidence. No reason to think he made the edit. His tweet on the topic suggested nothing of the sort. All we know is someone in MLS media saw the CCF* Media tweet and edited the without checking with anyone of authority.
Which, by the way, is equally consistent with the Occam's razor explanation and the Rube Goldberg ones. Hell, even assume your scenario: it doesn't lean one way or another. Even if the original author made the temp edit he did it without authority. That tells us nothing about the motivations of the decision maker.

* I'm tired of typing CONCACAF. This is my new abbreviation.

Love the abbreviation

You can not say what you say in your show.

It's been more than 48 hours since CONCACAF made their tweet. And we haven't had a resolution yet.

This shit is getting ridiculous.

A Canadian MLS club occupying a American MLS spot is due to winning the MLS Cup which is a one season performance.

An American MLS club occupying two spots is due to multiple season performance (winning USOC or MLS Cup in 2017 and 2018), so the aggregate rule should be used there.

This is what the language meant.

ACCEPT OUR QUALIFICATION OF DECLARATION BY CONCACAF, MLS & US SOCCER!

I think the complete silence means we lost our 2019 spot. Its offseason and in the MLS world this counts as an interesting story but there has been no mention of the issue on MLSsoccer.com. I assume there was a fight that MLS does not want to talk about and NYCFC lost.

I think the complete silence means we lost our 2019 spot. Its offseason and in the MLS world this counts as an interesting story but there has been no mention of the issue on MLSsoccer.com. I assume there was a fight that MLS does not want to talk about and NYCFC lost.

But wouldn’t CCF then take down their tweet or print a retraction? Makes me think the argument is ongoing and they don’t want to publicize it.

i feel like in the end we wont get it.....but it should not of taken that long. just take back the tweet and then issue a quick announcement and thats it ....i think in the end its easier to say we didnt get the spot than saying we did.

if anything is concacaf not letting it go.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe they are hoping that we end up finishing highest on aggregate points in 2017/2018, so we'd be in either way and they don't have to deal with it.

It would be the gutless, sniveling thing to do, so I am sure Concacaf is up for it.

well if thats the case then we all know who they are cheering for then.

We're at the 70 hour mark since the Tweets went up. At some point in time, it becomes official.

NARRATORS VOICE: It never gets retracted, and doesn't become official.

If we not announced by MLS as having qualified for the 2019 CCL, I say we boo the MLS anthem as the players take the field. Our form of protesting the league.