Red Bulls - Postmatch

Sweat and Mata doesn't cut it anymore. We need to make a Ring/Tinnerholm type signing there. Second of all Vieira needs to lay his fucking balls on the table. Absolutely pathetic from the team today.

Reactions: Kjbert
From the prematch thread.
I don't love the pregame interview with Vieira. He sounds subdued and tired.

https://www.nycfc.com/post/2018/05/04/vieira-preview-nycfc-new-york-red-bulls-0?autoplay=true
I was right. You can’t ask your players to be intensive if you are not...

Only thing I will write is that Moss Brothers were acting like dicks and douches during the entire game and never stopped.

After the game, I finally get something to eat in the club and leave what feels like 30 minutes later. I get off the elevator and I see Vieira yelling at the Moss Brothers as they leave saying, “If you were men you’d say it to my face.” His wife and one of our comms people try to calm his down. He then takes photos with some fans. I say to him, “They’re not men. They’re boys. And they’re brain surgeons and they have something wrong with their head. See you in LA.” He said, “See you there” as he looked off trying to spot them.

Not a good day in the office. Those guys are dicks but a top flight manager just walks away from that.

Thank goodness the people the Moss Bros get tickets from at Pitchside didn’t renew for this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
I’d also like to point out is that seeds 2-4 in the East all have two games in hand and if they all win both we drop to 4th. Not a good look.

Are we back to thinking just about playoff positioning?

Only thing I will write is that Moss Brothers were acting like dicks and douches during the entire game and never stopped.

After the game, I finally get something to eat in the club and leave what feels like 30 minutes later. I get off the elevator and I see Vieira yelling at the Moss Brothers as they leave saying, “If you were men you’d say it to my face.” His wife and one of our comms people try to calm his down. He then takes photos with some fans. I say to him, “They’re not men. They’re boys. And they’re brain surgeons and they have something wrong with their head. See you in LA.” He said, “See you there” as he looked off trying to spot them.

No a good day in the office. Those guys are dicks but a top flight manager just walks away from that.

Thank goodness the people the Moss Bros get tickets from at Pitchside didn’t renew for this season.
If one of Vieira’s players did that, they’d never see the field again. Never. PV needs to get his shit together - I cannot imagine that anything Mix or Lewis did was as bad as him going off against opposing fans.

There’s a long way to go yet.

Be very interesting to see what the team is for next week and if we show any grit and determination to bounce back. The last thing we need is a west coast game against a team that are flying but it’ll sort the men out from the boys I suppose....

Sweat is the low hanging fruit to blame but it’s also (pardon me) the ignorant argument. The first three goals were on Chanot. Sweat may have been part of the play, but Chanot was the issue on every one:

#1, Chanot leaves his man, BWP, to do an offsides trap, fcks it up because three other defenders didn’t push, and BWP gets the ball in space to go 1v1 on the keeper. Sweat was actually marking two men on that play because he had zero help.

#2, Chanot heads a weak ball straight to a RB player who then starts the counter. The D was caught out of place with a runner splitting Callens and Sweat. If anything, Callens had to step up to challenge the player on the shot, but he didn’t and he ball ricocheted off his leg and into the net.

#3, BWP scores an easy header because Chanot isn’t marking him tight. Yes Sweat was on the guy crossing the ball, but crosses don’t score and it was a 50/50 ball that looped in. Chanot has to put his body on BWP on any cross.

#4 was on Ring.

It’s easy to blame Sweat because he’s the least talented on the squad, but on any team, the least talented doesn’t make/break a game, because they’re strictly role players. The guys that win/lose matches are the truly talented players, and if the team gets whomped this badly, it’s because the guys with the skill to take over a match aren’t doing so. Had RB launched every attack down Sweats side and broken his ankles with cutbacks to successfully get off shots that scored, then yeah, he’d be to blame, but that’s not what happened today, and blaming Sweat is a false narrative.

Chanot played poorly as well, but we can disagree as to level of blame.

First goal, Chanot does attempt the trap unsuccessfully. However, while BWP moved in on Johnson, with Johnson saving the first shot, Sweat while running back ball watched the entire way and marked neither of the two runners with him. If he picks one, he might be better off on the rebound - or at least make it simpler for Johnson to key on a single player.

Second goal, Chanot header was weak, but it was the second in a chain, and well up the pitch. The push on goal came down Sweat's side (the side Jersey regularly attacked), and yet again he ran back aimlessly without a sense of purpose, be it marking a man or ball or anything.

Third goal, Chanot may have missed a header, but Sweat's absolute failure to force the action on his man was the primary issue.

Each of the goals had a consistent symptom - Sweat flailing in space with no sense or plan. Sweat can be effective moving forward, but too often on defense he has no sense of where he is. Not great for a defender.

Beyond the goals, there were numerous instances where Sweat attempted to move past a man one on one and failed miserably. Also, on the most basic level, there were at least two (maybe three) instances, where on throws he lazily gave the ball directly to the other team.

No one was good today, but Sweat was the worst. Sometimes low hanging fruit is low for a reason.

I’d also like to point out is that seeds 2-4 in the East all have two games in hand and if they all win both we drop to 5th. Not a good look.

Are we back to thinking just about playoff positioning?
The two goose eggs against Portland and RB are extremely bad. The only saving grace is that we have 2 home games in hand having only played 4 at YS vs 6 away.

So Warshaw’s “it’s just week 10, the game doesn’t really matter” isn’t a bad take right now, is it?

Reactions: The Toe
There’s a long way to go yet.

Be very interesting to see what the team is for next week and if we show any grit and determination to bounce back. The last thing we need is a west coast game against a team that are flying but it’ll sort the men out from the boys I suppose....

If there is one thing the team has done is get their s*it together after a loss. Going out to LA is a tough one though. Where’s a Philly or Montreal when we need them to make things right again?

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Chanot played poorly as well, but we can disagree as to level of blame.

First goal, Chanot does attempt the trap unsuccessfully. However, while BWP moved in on Johnson, with Johnson saving the first shot, Sweat while running back ball watched the entire way and marked neither of the two runners with him. If he picks one, he might be better off on the rebound - or at least make it simpler for Johnson to key on a single player.

Second goal, Chanot header was weak, but it was the second in a chain, and well up the pitch. The push on goal came down Sweat's side (the side Jersey regularly attacked), and yet again he ran back aimlessly without a sense of purpose, be it marking a man or ball or anything.

Third goal, Chanot may have missed a header, but Sweat's absolute failure to force the action on his man was the primary issue.

Each of the goals had a consistent symptom - Sweat flailing in space with no sense or plan. Sweat can be effective moving forward, but too often on defense he has no sense of where he is. Not great for a defender.

Beyond the goals, there were numerous instances where Sweat attempted to move past a man one on one and failed miserably. Also, on the most basic levels, there were at least two (maybe three) instances, where on throws he lazily gave the ball directly to the other team.

No one was good today, but Sweat was the worst. Sometimes low hanging fruit is low for a reason.
Your rationale rings hollow. Sweat didn’t cause any of those goal - guys more talented than him failed in their roles and they’re the ones that are supposed to carry the load - and these guys are the ones that were direct causes of the goals by blowing offside trap and giving the ball directly to the opposition or not marking in the 6yard box.

To blame Sweat for the loss is similar to blaming a salesman that can’t sell a product that is inherently flawed - it’s on the developers, not the sales force.

I couldn't watch the game, but basing on the highlights it seems that none of the goals came because of especially bad defending, but rather because of lucky bounces. But I suppose it's natural that the fans need scapegoats.

From the prematch thread.

I was right. You can’t ask your players to be intensive if you are not...

No a good day in the office. Those guys are dicks but a top flight manager just walks away from that.

Vieira has played in the some of the most terrifying atmospheres in the world. It sounds like to me that the Moss Brothers went a step too far.

I couldn't watch the game, but basing on the highlights it seems that none of the goals came because of especially bad defending, but rather because of lucky bounces. But I suppose it's natural that the fans need scapegoats.

3rd goal was complete shit defending from “Sweatinho” giving Kaku a cocktail at the top of the 18 and Chanot not bodying up BWP. Fourth was shit too but I won’t call that one out because at that point it was a scramble and Ring was playing CB.

Only second was pure “luck”. Reminds me of Maxi’s deflected goal a few games ago. But still Valot was in a prime position to score.

If one of Vieira’s players did that, they’d never see the field again. Never. PV needs to get his shit together - I cannot imagine that anything Mix or Lewis did was as bad as him going off against opposing fans.
Vieira has played in the some of the most terrifying atmospheres in the world. It sounds like to me that the Moss Brothers went a step too far.
Vieira also lost his composure at RBA in 2016 and got ejected before the half in another game where NYC was completely non-competitive. Doesn't matter what those glory hounds did. NYCFC is 1-5-1 at RBA counting USOC. It's a bad look when the team consistently falls flat over there, and the coach shows more passion in inappropriate ways than the team almost ever does.

So two things still bug me about the game:

1. Anyone who has watched RBNJ know that they are a team that thrives on momentum - when they are pressing and it is working, they feed on that and it becomes a reinforcing loop. NYCFC seemed completely unaware that they had to match this level - RBNJ will run at you like chickens with their heads cut off at the beginning of the game to force those turnovers, get up early and force the game. It was as if NYCFC had never seen this before.

2. What most irks me is that it was obvious that it was not working, Ring and Herrera were getting overrun, RBNJ was compressing the field - yet nothing was done until the game was 3-0 and effectively over. Pinch your wingers in, have Villa drop into midfield, something to stop getting overrun. Yes, they did a halftime switch but there needs to be a plan B if they get pressed. Or at least have the confidence on the ball to break the press a few times and break that reinforcing loop in #1.

Your rationale rings hollow. Sweat didn’t cause any of those goal - guys more talented than him failed in their roles and they’re the ones that are supposed to carry the load - and these guys are the ones that were direct causes of the goals by blowing offside trap and giving the ball directly to the opposition or not marking in the 6yard box.

To blame Sweat for the loss is similar to blaming a salesman that can’t sell a product that is inherently flawed - it’s on the developers, not the sales force.

Yeah but Sweat still sucks. Maybe the product was flawed today but the guy couldn’t sell the best of anything and that was obvious.