Seattle - Postmatch

Not sure why we weren’t starting guys more familiar with the playing surface like Lewis and Sands. It was obvious a lot of guys were constantly misjudging their passes. Sands was the real baffling one - he would have had fresh legs and some height - and what’s the point of having HG players if they never see the field???
This to me, is the biggest thing. Especially considering the scheduling impact that so many people have already noted. Here was an opportunity to see more out of guys that we don't usually, and those that are more familiar playing on this surface. You could tell several times the ball just didn't bounce or roll like it usually does and it threw our players off on a few occasions.

I love Lewis, I'm still in the camp if we're all healthy, I like him off the bench, but he needed to start this one. Would have liked to see Sands here too.

One more thing to add....

Wallace losing the throw in from Lewis and then telling him to settle down/slow down was laughable. Wallace is the worst forward on the team (I’m not counting TMac or Mata) and hasn’t scored in over a year despite tons of playing time, and he’s telling our spark plug what to do is pathetic and indicative that he can’t play at the same speed (which he can’t).

Once Valentin gets his visa, I’ll be surprised if Wallace sees the field. He shouldn’t.
Ehhh, I get your point in that Lewis has proven himself a lot more here than Wallace has, but I'm glad Wallace told Lewis to settle down a little bit there. Lewis played an aggressive through ball where there wasn't anything there; I have no issue that Wallace made that gesture towards him.

Lewis is a fantastic spark plug off of the bench, but he can sometimes be a bit jittery on offense. I'll take that with what we get from him offensively, but I think it is an area for him to grow.

Kwame didn't look out of place. Ofori's getting more confident in his passing. Berget is healthy and showed some versatility. Medina got better looks at goal than ever. Mata and Isi are back in the rotation and Lewis is earning regular minutes. Maxi is immune to age and fatigue. Sweat can apparently fill in at right back. Ring won't be suspended again for a while, and pretty soon we'll have Villa and the summer reinforcements.

The schedule is trash but we've got two weeks off in October to get healthy for the playoffs. We're in the thick of the Shield race. The next game is an easy one at home. And we've still got the best coach in the league.
On Medina, I know he had many goofs last night, but you bring up a good point, he got better looks at goal than ever.

Yeah, especially as a DP, Medina needs to do better. He had many great opportunities yesterday that he wasted. But he is doing better and better at getting the ball in dangerous spots. He'll start doing better in those situations the more he plays.

Reactions: dummyrun
He had many great opportunities yesterday that he wasted. But he is doing better and better at getting the ball in dangerous spots. He'll start doing better in those situations the more he plays.
He still seems to be lacking confidence. I want him to play like he thinks he's the best player on the field. And not to go totally English at breakfast, but I wish he would get stuck in a bit more. A few times he had great chances to win the ball back and sort of half-stepped to the player like he didn't want to give away a foul. Just have a go, son! No one cares if we give away free kicks 70 yards from goal. And you get like 8 of those before a ref even thinks about giving a yellow.

The way we were setup, this looked like a match we weren't too optimistic about winning and that we used as an opportunity to give minutes to young players and those returning from injury.

Berget and Mata both looked rusty, hesitant on turf and a little slow on the ball. Medina still hasn't learned the basics of ball protection. The lack of quality in the final third put a lot of pressure on a very green midfield. Awuah is clearly green but did OK. It's a credit to our overall defensive shape that when Seattle were able to find their way through the center, it was often because Awuah was a couple of feet out of position on either closing down passing lanes or being tight on his guy. Ofori is looking better and better but still not the authority needed to make sure Awuah was in check. Hence our midfield was a bit of a sieve.

Sweat slow to close down out wide, but apart from that our backline was immense.

Given the way we set up, I'm not too disappointed in the result, happy about the effort and discipline and glad to see some of our players get much needed minutes. With the lack of rest, first team players and the size and surface of the pitch, I would have liked to see a more conservative game plan though. I'm not a total Lewis hype train rider, but this was an ideal match for him to start so that we could stay compact, conserve energy and play him over the top. I think we saw why he doesn't generally start on the 3rd goal, but his lack of defensive awareness is a great reason to throw him up top to stretch the field and / or get behind the defensive line.

In the end, I think we opted to give players minutes in our established set up vs. rolling the dice on an experimental set up. It was a totally reasonable trade off, so I'm not upset. Just curious.

He still seems to be lacking confidence. I want him to play like he thinks he's the best player on the field. And not to go totally English at breakfast, but I wish he would get stuck in a bit more. A few times he had great chances to win the ball back and sort of half-stepped to the player like he didn't want to give away a foul. Just have a go, son! No one cares if we give away free kicks 70 yards from goal. And you get like 8 of those before a ref even thinks about giving a yellow.
It could be confidence. I just think his instincts are more tailored to the ball, the whereabouts of his team mates and space. In other words, what he's gonna do once he has the ball, vs. actually securing it. Priority zero to me is always getting one's body between the ball and the opposing player. Maxi is tiny and a total genius at just getting his shoulder in front of the other player. He doesn't give away a lot of fouls either. I think it's just an awareness thing.

Ehhh, I get your point in that Lewis has proven himself a lot more here than Wallace has, but I'm glad Wallace told Lewis to settle down a little bit there. Lewis played an aggressive through ball where there wasn't anything there; I have no issue that Wallace made that gesture towards him.

Lewis is a fantastic spark plug off of the bench, but he can sometimes be a bit jittery on offense. I'll take that with what we get from him offensively, but I think it is an area for him to grow.
He won’t learn without getting starts. He completely changed the game as soon as he came on.

This to me, is the biggest thing. Especially considering the scheduling impact that so many people have already noted. Here was an opportunity to see more out of guys that we don't usually, and those that are more familiar playing on this surface. You could tell several times the ball just didn't bounce or roll like it usually does and it threw our players off on a few occasions.

I love Lewis, I'm still in the camp if we're all healthy, I like him off the bench, but he needed to start this one. Would have liked to see Sands here too.
I disagree i think a lot of players have lost a little form and Lewis has been in form he has 1 goal and 3 assist in how many games now. It’s time to start the kid before we count him out as a starter. What if he produces more as a starter then as a super sub. Last year he started 4 games and had 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 starts

I disagree i think a lot of players have lost a little form and Lewis has been in form he has 1 goal and 3 assist in how many games now. It’s time to start the kid before we count him out as a starter. What if he produces more as a starter then as a super sub. Last year he started 4 games and had 2 goals and 1 assist in 4 starts
I think you missed the part in my post where I said I wanted him to start this match.

Reactions: mgarbowski
The way we were setup, this looked like a match we weren't too optimistic about winning and that we used as an opportunity to give minutes to young players and those returning from injury.

Berget and Mata both looked rusty, hesitant on turf and a little slow on the ball. Medina still hasn't learned the basics of ball protection. The lack of quality in the final third put a lot of pressure on a very green midfield. Awuah is clearly green but did OK. It's a credit to our overall defensive shape that when Seattle were able to find their way through the center, it was often because Awuah was a couple of feet out of position on either closing down passing lanes or being tight on his guy. Ofori is looking better and better but still not the authority needed to make sure Awuah was in check. Hence our midfield was a bit of a sieve.

Sweat slow to close down out wide, but apart from that our backline was immense.

Given the way we set up, I'm not too disappointed in the result, happy about the effort and discipline and glad to see some of our players get much needed minutes. With the lack of rest, first team players and the size and surface of the pitch, I would have liked to see a more conservative game plan though. I'm not a total Lewis hype train rider, but this was an ideal match for him to start so that we could stay compact, conserve energy and play him over the top. I think we saw why he doesn't generally start on the 3rd goal, but his lack of defensive awareness is a great reason to throw him up top to stretch the field and / or get behind the defensive line.

In the end, I think we opted to give players minutes in our established set up vs. rolling the dice on an experimental set up. It was a totally reasonable trade off, so I'm not upset. Just curious.
I actually thought Berget looked pretty good except he wasn't able to get the best of service to him in dangerous spots. He did a great job at holdup play and getting the ball out back wide or to Maxi coming forward.

Can we stop the Mata at LW or whatever spot he was at on the pitch today? He's fine coming on in the 85th as a LW, but starting as one he is lost. I don't want to give up 100% on him at LW, but he needs to be taught how to be an actual LW, beyond occasionally running up the pitch. Now that ITS is back, Mata should sit or be LB. Part of me is worrying that the time of getting a good rate of exchange on Mata has passed.
Berget was fine up top, and due to Mata's incompetence and Medina's inability to get much going, both CBs just swarmed Berget once we got the ball in the final 3rd.
Johnson had a meh game, with both shots essentially going through his hands. May be tough with difficult shots, but I felt he could've done better. I'll give him a break since he's saved our asses numerous times, may have just been off with the jetlag.
Awuah looked okay, but I hate having two of three midfielders under 5'0" tall. Ofori isn't small, but he isn't a tank either. Agree with others on the lack of integration between Awuah and Ofori. Tough ask for him to stand in. Would've rather seen Sands get some time. I think Awuah needs to be loaned out to a USL side, get some time there and then come back to potentially be any use for us.
The final third of the season is essentially upon us. Lets go ham.

Starters have to play offense and defense, the 3rd goal was scored by the runner that was Lewis' responsibility to mark. He'll be a sub until he stops doing stuff like this no matter how many goals or assists he gets. Graphic is a cross post from another thread but I should have put it here. Lewis completely misses Shipp's run because he stands flat footed and ball watches. For those that continue to be perplexed as to why he doesn't start this is why. When we are pressing for a point on the road and your a young guy with some of the freshest legs on the pitch coaches aren't going to tolerate this and it's going to cause him to be stuck as an impact sub.

Starts at 3:22 in the highlights if you want to see it in video: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...s-fc-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/165212

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 9.09.54 AM.png

With MLS now becoming less of a parity league, it's difficult to know what a reasonable expectation would be for a game like this. I rate Seattle ahead of the real bottom feeders like SJ or Colorado, but it doesn't seem out of place to expect to win a game like this, and I guess if we had had Ring, Villa and ITS in the starting XI we would have gone out aggressively looking for a victory. They weren't good: slow, not much creativity outside of Lodeiro, unimpressive wingers, etc. My eye test told me we dominated the first half and had clearer chances, whereas Seattle scored first against the run of play. The Gx for the game should be even or in our favor. My impression is that MLS is trending towards a stratification somewhat similar to EPL, where 6 or 8 teams spend more/better, and tend to win home and away and open a gap vis-a-vis everybody else. ATL is right now winning away quite consistently.

With MLS now becoming less of a parity league, it's difficult to know what a reasonable expectation would be for a game like this. I rate Seattle ahead of the real bottom feeders like SJ or Colorado, but it doesn't seem out of place to expect to win a game like this, and I guess if we had had Ring, Villa and ITS in the starting XI we would have gone out aggressively looking for a victory. They weren't good: slow, not much creativity outside of Lodeiro, unimpressive wingers, etc. My eye test told me we dominated the first half and had clearer chances, whereas Seattle scored first against the run of play. The Gx for the game should be even or in our favor. My impression is that MLS is trending towards a stratification somewhat similar to EPL, where 6 or 8 teams spend more/better, and tend to win home and away and open a gap vis-a-vis everybody else. ATL is right now winning away quite consistently.
someone posted that the Gx was 2.2 - 0.6 in our favor, so you are correct there

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Starters have to play offense and defense, the 3rd goal was scored by the runner that was Lewis' responsibility to mark. He'll be a sub until he stops doing stuff like this no matter how many goals or assists he gets. Graphic is a cross post from another thread but I should have put it here. Lewis completely misses Shipp's run because he stands flat footed and ball watches. For those that continue to be perplexed as to why he doesn't start this is why. When we are pressing for a point on the road and your a young guy with some of the freshest legs on the pitch coaches aren't going to tolerate this and it's going to cause him to be stuck as an impact sub.

Starts at 3:22 in the highlights if you want to see it in video: https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...s-fc-vs-new-york-city-fc/details/video/165212

View attachment 8970
I’m not denying anything you wrote about the responsibility of a starter. Take a look at these photo clips that take place immediately after the photo you posted. Notice where Medina is located in your photo and watch where he drifts to while marking nobody. Shipp fills the space where Medina is in your photo (not posting it again since it’s in yours) and that’s where he receives he ball - it’s the exact spot where Medina’s original mark (Lodiero) is standing.

Lewis definitely was caught flat footed by Shipp and can be seen chasing the play, but Shipp cannot receive the ball in that spot if Medina hasn’t already vacated it to collapse into no-man’s land in the box. Further, Maxi isn’t marking anybody in the middle while watching everything unfold in front of him, and he is slow to move to close down the shot.

upload_2018-7-30_11-46-9.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-46-32.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-46-58.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-47-17.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-47-37.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-47-55.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-48-14.jpeg
upload_2018-7-30_11-48-40.jpeg

I’m not denying anything you wrote about the responsibility of a starter. Take a look at these photo clips that take place immediately after the photo you posted. Notice where Medina is located in your photo and watch where he drifts to while marking nobody. Shipp fills the space where Medina is in your photo (not posting it again since it’s in yours) and that’s where he receives he ball - it’s the exact spot where Medina’s original mark (Lodiero) is standing.

Lewis definitely was caught flat footed by Shipp and can be seen chasing the play, but Shipp cannot receive the ball in that spot if Medina hasn’t already vacated it to collapse into no-man’s land in the box. Further, Maxi isn’t marking anybody in the middle while watching everything unfold in front of him, and he is slow to move to close down the shot.

View attachment 8971
View attachment 8972
View attachment 8973
View attachment 8974
View attachment 8975
View attachment 8976
View attachment 8977
View attachment 8978

I don't disagree that Medina messed up as well and likely had a better chance at preventing the goal. I only point it out because so many people continue to express that they are completely perplexed as to why Lewis doesn't start. There's no question that he has the offensive skills to be a quality starter in this league. I'd also like to assume he has no off-field baggage with Dome as it was speculated he possibly had with PV. So there has to be another explanation and rather than grand coaching conspiracy I think repeated lapses in awareness and effort on defense like missing that run are the reason. He just came off the bench in back to back games in favor of TMac in one and Mata in the other. We all agree on offense he's way better than either of those guys so he's below them on the depth chart for a reason and to me that reason is pretty clear.

I'd also argue that while Medina clearly messed up and Maxi possibly could have closed both had just played both of the back to backs while Lewis who we both seem to agree missed the runner was on much fresher legs. It's moments like that where Lewis has to prove he can be a starter by being aware and putting in the effort and he didn't do it. It wasn't tactical misunderstanding based on limited game time he missed the runner because he was standing around on defense ball watching waiting for one of this teammates to win him the ball so he could go play offense.

This game was such a perfect storm of unfortunate circumstances. Dome was so upset after the Orlando game. Yet, as he implied/said several times in passing after the Orlando game, he wouldn't even have the opportunity to train the team on his disappointments/concerns. He basically said, we sucked, but we will have to wait until we get back home before I can show the team why and how they sucked.