SKC Postmatch

Referees...I'm just going to assume he sucks because he's not Alan Kelly.

Montreal Impact vs. New York City

Saputo Stadium (5pm ET; ESPN in US, TSN2 in Canada)
REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
AR1: Joe Fletcher
AR2: Matthew Nelson
4TH: Mathieu Bourdeau

Referees...I'm just going to assume he sucks because he's not Alan Kelly.

Montreal Impact vs. New York City

Saputo Stadium (5pm ET; ESPN in US, TSN2 in Canada)
REF: ARMANDO VILLARREAL
AR1: Joe Fletcher
AR2: Matthew Nelson
4TH: Mathieu Bourdeau
He did our opening match v the fire. I don't remember any problems, other than the shelton handball in the box. Questionable but not egregious

He also didn't call Hernandez dragging down a player in the box, so maybe Jason gets the start on Sunday....
Everybody gets one mulligan, although Midas Mulligan gets them every day, so Hernandez has already burned his and won't be as fortunate next time - remember that the ref was derided a bit after the game for letting that play go.

Thoughts after watching the condensed game this morning:

• I think it is time to end the Jason Hernandez at RB experiment. An overwhelming majority of the SKC crosses, at least in the condensed game, came down that right side. The first goal would not have happened if Hernandez was in the proper position. He was playing like a CB not a RB.
  • The second KC goal was one of the worse I have seen us give up this year. Medranda had time to take a terrible first touch, back up, and then run forward to take a shot without anyone closing out on him. Even with the lack of defense, this is one of the softest goals Saunders has ever given up. FS1 had a great angle on the replay that shows Saunders had clear vision on the player and was in proper position. The shot wasn't even hard enough to make it to the goal without bouncing.
  • I was a little more pissed at the third offsides goal on Sunday, but watching the replay it was super close. Tough call for the ref.
  • Viera has been subbing Mata very early the last couple of matches. I thought the best sub was to put T-Mac on for Hernandez and drop Mata back to LB. Makes me wonder if he is 100% fit.
  • We had bad Villa this match constantly going offsides instead of dropping back into that false 9 role that he has done so well.

• I think it is time to end the Jason Hernandez at RB experiment. An overwhelming majority of the SKC crosses, at least in the condensed game, came down that right side. The first goal would not have happened if Hernandez was in the proper position. He was playing like a CB not a RB.
  • The second KC goal was one of the worse I have seen us give up this year. Medranda had time to take a terrible first touch, back up, and then run forward to take a shot without anyone closing out on him. Even with the lack of defense, this is one of the softest goals Saunders has ever given up. FS1 had a great angle on the replay that shows Saunders had clear vision on the player and was in proper position. The shot wasn't even hard enough to make it to the goal without bouncing.
  • I was a little more pissed at the third offsides goal on Sunday, but watching the replay it was super close. Tough call for the ref.
  • Viera has been subbing Mata very early the last couple of matches. I thought the best sub was to put T-Mac on for Hernandez and drop Mata back to LB. Makes me wonder if he is 100% fit.
  • We had bad Villa this match constantly going offsides instead of dropping back into that false 9 role that he has done so well.
The sideline reporter even said Vermes was getting pissed and yelling at his players to stop playing the ball on the opposite side of the field - he wanted them attacking our right side/Hernadez every single time.

I commend your devotion. Couldn't bear watching that one again. A few thoughts on the above:

- Couldn't agree more on Hernandez. It was frustrating when PV was playing White there earlier this year, but that was borne of necessity. Now that RJ is healthy, I really can't see it. As was discussed yesterday on another thread, if he wants to push Matarrita up (and I'm interested in that possibility), I wish he'd give Martinez a run at LB and let Allen stay at RB.

- As for Matarrita, he took a knock right before halftime and I saw him limping around a bit (though not very severely) after the match. Clearly the whole thing wasn't working, but I don't think he would have come off quite so quickly otherwise.

- I find I can never get too worked up about the refs. Ref decisions are so important to so many games everywhere (not just MLS) that I think I've achieved some zen state where I really don't care and am a true believer in the "it all balances out" line of thinking. I'm not sure I could watch this sport as much as I do if it actually upset me! It is probably some sort of coping mechanism.

- I find I can never get too worked up about the refs. Ref decisions are so important to so many games everywhere (not just MLS) that I think I've achieved some zen state where I really don't care and am a true believer in the "it all balances out" line of thinking. I'm not sure I could watch this sport as much as I do if it actually upset me! It is probably some sort of coping mechanism.
You Chanot that denial is not a river in Egypt.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'm with everyone else here -- we really need to settle on this back line and let them keep working together. We saw Hern at RB vs NJ for a little extra help on set pieces, since he has to cover much less ground at YS than on the road. Plus, RJ is just a much better RB than Hernandez, who has done pretty well paired with Brillant. I really don't like Mena out there. Sure, he's athletic, tall, shields well, but he's a big liability in the current gameplan of playing out of the back -- almost as much so as Saunders is. Mata, too, should just be kept at LB and given his freedom. He can and should be making the same run that set up Frank's goal from the LB spot. Sure, he'll be gassed towards the end of the game, but we've got subs to cover in that situation, ESPECIALLY playing at home. He was made for a smaller field.

Really, this feels like a throwaway game. No result would've surprised me, but the team just looked tired and you can't help that after what'd been asked of them. The only way we could've had this go in our favor is sitting on the ball and slowing the game down a ton, but SKC really forced us into some bad spots. And simply put, the passing from the back line was atrocious. Hopefully the week off will bring us back.

I'm with everyone else here -- we really need to settle on this back line and let them keep working together. We saw Hern at RB vs NJ for a little extra help on set pieces, since he has to cover much less ground at YS than on the road. Plus, RJ is just a much better RB than Hernandez, who has done pretty well paired with Brillant. I really don't like Mena out there. Sure, he's athletic, tall, shields well, but he's a big liability in the current gameplan of playing out of the back -- almost as much so as Saunders is. Mata, too, should just be kept at LB and given his freedom. He can and should be making the same run that set up Frank's goal from the LB spot. Sure, he'll be gassed towards the end of the game, but we've got subs to cover in that situation, ESPECIALLY playing at home. He was made for a smaller field.

Really, this feels like a throwaway game. No result would've surprised me, but the team just looked tired and you can't help that after what'd been asked of them. The only way we could've had this go in our favor is sitting on the ball and slowing the game down a ton, but SKC really forced us into some bad spots. And simply put, the passing from the back line was atrocious. Hopefully the week off will bring us back.
But is the passing from Hernandez that much better than Mena? I'm not certain it is, and I feel as though if Mena has a bit more playing time with Pirlo, Iraola, and Brillant, his will improve, as I think his passing mistakes were moreso not anticipating where our other guys were gonna be.

I do think Hernandez definitely needs to stop playing RB, for some of the reasons already mentioned, but also because we want to play out of the back. Whoever is playing RB needs to be a decent distributor, and Hernandez definitely isn't that.

I personally would like to see a backline (with our current roster) of Mata-Mena-Brillant-Allen, but I wouldn't be too upset if Hernandez was in for Mena.

The team just looked tired and you can't help that after what'd been asked of them.

Anybody walking around NYC today? The wet bulb is 83. Same as the start of the KC game. Now go try to run for 90 minutes after you have played 2 games already in the last 7 days, plus spent 10 hours at the airport the day before trying to get a flight. Brutal.

Anybody walking around NYC today? The wet bulb is 83. Same as the start of the KC game. Now go try to run for 90 minutes after you have played 2 games already in the last 7 days, plus spent 10 hours at the airport the day before trying to get a flight. Brutal.
I'd rather run on a treadmill in a sauna where it's dry heat than be outside today doing it.

Agree about the Hernandez at RB experiment. We were getting abused down that side.

Important to remember that when Hernandez started there against New Jersey, it was because Mata had a slight knock (he ended up coming in for some time off the bench). Let's see how everyone is feeling Sunday.

In fairness to the oft maligned Lalas, he made the point during the telecast, and it could be a good one, that PV might have a thing or two to learn about that heat. PV had us on the field for warmups ahead of SKC and kept them on the field after SKC had already gone to the locker room. I remember a similar situation last year (can't remember opponent) when it was a brutally hot day and Kreis had our team out on the field as normal during halftime and the other team didn't come out until the whistle was in the refs mouth. We wilted and they ran over us in the second half.

In fairness to the oft maligned Lalas, he made the point during the telecast, and it could be a good one, that PV might have a thing or two to learn about that heat. PV had us on the field for warmups ahead of SKC and kept them on the field after SKC had already gone to the locker room. I remember a similar situation last year (can't remember opponent) when it was a brutally hot day and Kreis had our team out on the field as normal during halftime and the other team didn't come out until the whistle was in the refs mouth. We wilted and they ran over us in the second half.
To be fair we wilted a lot last year under Kries