SKC Postmatch

RJ had a good game. Yes, he has been pretty bad lately, but with SKC not going after our FBs, he had a lot less stupid fouls and defensive issues, and was able to make some great passes forward and had the assist on the goal
I think he had a good game for him. Far from making him a good or even decent player.

Reactions: Kjbert
Solid win that could have been a blowout with better finishing. Great game from Pirlo as this was just his speed. It was a long methodical game and we got the goal to seal the win that we deserved.

It was interesting watching this game after having watched the data & analytics talk. Where shots were taken from made so much more sense. It still was frustrating to watch so many fantastic breaks sputter out. Okoli was unlucky; hit the post and then the missed open goal walk in. Mac was unlucky to not hit his signature from the left corner of the 18. Maxi was unlucky on the chip and the rebound. Still, we pulled it out.

Feeling good!

Melia's family were sitting in my seats when I got there. He's from East Islip and they all came out to watch him. Thought they were in a section over. They were really nice and I told them not to move. As I then jumped around and checked out all the dry seats in the house. They lasted a half before they went somewhere dry too.
How does this even come up?

Adam: Excuse me, you're in my seats.
TMF: We're sorry. We thought we were one section over.
Adam: Are you Tim Melia's family?
TMF: Yes. We're from East Islip.
Adam: I like you. You're really nice. Feel free to stay. Plus, it's wet.

Last edited:
God that was some tonic after the putrid USA performances this last week

I thought the same thing. Good to see a team that can complete more than 3 passes and doesn't just blindly hoof the ball to the other team and lose every 50/50 ball in midfield.

Or, nice to watch some actual soccer versus that u-12 kickball that the USMNT played this week.

After yelling at the referee at one point during the second half, I was told by who I think was a 16 year old girl that I was "ruining the game for everyone else." I replied "No, I'm not" to which she responded, "Yes, you are are." I finished with 'Thank you."

It was that kind of night.

Reactions: Vaporizer
How does this even come up?

Adam: Excuse me, you're in my seats.
TMF: We're sorry. We thought we were one section over.
Adam: Are you Tim Melia's family?
TMF: Yes. We're from East Islip.
Adam: I like you. You're really nice. Feel free to stay. Plus, it's wet.

More like:

Adam: you're in my seats, but don't get up the whole row is empty I'll just sit 2 seats over. No big deal.

The adult son: but I have seats 5-8. (Looks at his tickets) section 104.

Adam: that's the section there. Don't worry, no one's showing up. Stay put.

(They are all wearing SKC gear and a 9 year old is booing our team during the intros)

Older dad: (feeling the need to explain himself) we're here for the the SKC goalie.

Adam: Melia?

Older dad: yeah Timmy. We're his family from east Islip.

Adam: cool we're from Long Beach, got to respect Long Island. And he helped me win a lot of fantasy games last season. (Older dad laughs)

(After the national anthem rain picks up and I offer some advice of places they may want to sit if it get too wet. Then my friend and I go somewhere dry)

The end.

After yelling at the referee at one point during the second half, I was told by who I think was a 16 year old girl that I was "ruining the game for everyone else." I replied "No, I'm not" to which she responded, "Yes, you are are." I finished with 'Thank you."

I prefer my dialogue between Adam and the Melias, though yours has more tension.

Should have responded "no I'm not" again and seen how many times it went back and forth.

Should have responded "no I'm not" again and seen how many times it went back and forth.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Just got back to Philly. Happy I made the trip. My ratings:

Okoli: 7 - It's a different match when we have a hold up player. He was terrific at holding up the ball. The difference between him and a starring MLS player is his finishing. He distributes well enough off of the hold up to be a serviceable CF in this league. If he could finish consistently, he's a double digit scorer in this league. I think the Club may get some calls on him this winter from around the league. He had a good match. I didn't love his pressing but I can't overstate how important his hold up play was.

Harrison: 6 - Goal aside, I don't think he was great tonight. He put in a terrific shift though defensively as Allen was consistently caught out.

Lewis: 5 - Strong defensively as well I thought. Very good positionally to help widen the field. Had a couple of good one v ones. Was outmuscled but the SKC wide players. Mediocre match.

Maxi: 7 - Good match from Maxi. I still think he needs to stay on his feet more but some of that is his size of course. Very good in distribution and very good link up play.

McNamara: 3 - I'm pretty confident that he gave up around the 60th minute. I'm
Not really kidding. What a pitiful match from. I can remember exactly two contributions he made to the match tonight. He has a cute little Cruyff Turn in the second half and then that shot where he got it on his right foot and it went wide. Atrocious defensive effort. At one point, when we were in possession offensively deep into their end, he was hanging deep with Pirlo. I thought maybe it was by design to protect against the counter attack. Well, the ball is turned over and McNamara just watches it. I was mad.

Pirlo: 8 - This may be a stretch, but I'm giving him my Man of the Match. That may have been his best game in an NYCFC kit. He was just a different player tonight. Is he slow and old? Yes. Is he nothing more than a speed bump against the counter? Sure. But he was terrific tonight. I don't know what the stats will show, but I think he absolutely dominated that match tonight. I think with having Okoli and then Shelton as a long outlet certainly relieved some of the pressure in our build-up, but he was terrific tonight.

Allen: 5 - I want to go lower but he did serve up the winning goal. He was caught out of position A LOT tonight. Harrison and even Pirlo saved his butt a couple of times. He took a smart, professional foul late in the match. That was probably an above average performance from him and we were lucky.

Sweat: 7 - Anither very good match from him. He was strong in possession, and was good positionally for the most part. He tracks inside sometimes which is weird, but he played well tonight. I thought he had a nice thing going with Maxi and Lewis.

Brillant/Callens: 7 - Both were very good. Callens slipped a little in the middle of the season but has come back. Brillant has gotten better in every match.

Johnson: 6 - He wasn't tested a lot tonight. Bumbled one save that Feilhaber should have scored on early in the Second Half. His distribution was fantastic. He pinged balls around the field like he was Manuel Neuer. Want to high press? Great. I'll put the ball on Okoli's forehead. One time he even picked out Maxi 45 yards down the field.

Shelton: 4 - Someone said he was too nice. I commented to one of the guys I sit with that he needs to be nasty. Decent hold up but not great. Was ok defensively.

Stertzer: 6 - I thought he played well for what his role was tonight. He was very active.

There's just something magical about rainy weeknight games. Couldn't help reminising about the 9-1-16 match. Concerned both games were going to end in disappointment, but came away completely satisfied.