Soriano At Blazercon; Nycfc: A Year In Review

Will there be a video of this? And nice job of NYCFC to not mention that Soriano's real title is MD of CFG.

I was gutted that these tickets sold out before I even knew it was happening. Some interesting talks, though I'm not into MiB. I hope someone who was lucky enough to find a ticket is able to report back!

Reactions: JayH
Here's all the tweets Tannenwald made at Blazercon. It's just a copy/paste of the twitter stream so you'll have to read from the bottom up if you want it in chronological order.
  1. Jonathan Tannenwald Retweeted
    Arielle Castillo ‏@ariellec 3h3 hours ago
    "The one thing that is different [from other leagues] is the size of the opportunity." - Soriano on #MLS #NYCFC #BlazerCon

7 retweets9 likes

1. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Lots of talk about patience and long term vision at NYCFC. Not one word about why Jason Kreis was dismissed after one season.

5 retweets13 likes

2. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Now Ferran Soriano is talking about Manchester City. So I'll stop tweeting for a bit.

1 retweet10 likes

3. Steve Holroyd ‏@Section107RowA 3h3 hours ago
    @thegoalkeeper I actually had dinner with Ferran at a Union match. My take was he did not care a whit for MLS. This is a CFG cash grab.

View conversation
    6 retweets6 likes

4. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the lack of technical quality in American players: "They need to be helped - but if they are helped they will be better."

3 retweets3 likes

5. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The MLS product is a fantastic product and will win in the end."

6 retweets10 likes

6. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the future of MLS: "I don't know where we will get, but the direction is the right one."

2 retweets4 likes

7. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The competitor, I know from MLS fans, is not the NFL because they want to watch soccer."

3 retweets3 likes

8. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano says MLS needs better players. "The wrong thing to do is to spend more on the same players."

8 retweets8 likes

9. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: NYCFC is losing money. Spent more on players this year than there was revenue.

10 retweets10 likes

10. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "There's a lot of people who think MLS isn't good and aren't watching it."

4 retweets6 likes

11. Arielle Castillo ‏@ariellec 4h4 hours ago
    "I don't buy any more the idea that the MLS is more physical and less technical." - Soriano #NYCFC #BlazerCon

3 retweets6 likes

12. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The teams [in MLS] that are playing well are playing good soccer."

4 retweets4 likes

13. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    .@rogbennett: "What if it's not possible to play beautiful soccer in MLS right now?" Soriano: "I challenge this. I think it is possible."

6 retweets4 likes

14. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "This is a three-to-five year cycle."

3 retweets3 likes

15. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Multiple questions and answers around the need for, as Soriano said, "patience and a long-term view."

0 retweets0 likes

16. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    To those tweeting at me that Soriano is either hypocritical or stating the obvious: I'm just he transcriber.

0 retweets2 likes

17. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the four MLS playoff semifinalists: The "common denominator" is "they all play organized."

4 retweets4 likes

18. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "We need to be more technical in the way we play soccer." Also says defense wasn't good enough.

4 retweets3 likes

19. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on 2015 results: "The result is only part of it because it is extremely difficult for an expansion team to make the playoffs"

4 retweets1 like

20. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on NYCFC's first season off the field: "Better than what we thought" it would be.

4 retweets3 likes

21. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Well, yeah. RT @MarkFishkin: @thegoalkeeper what does he have to gain by speaking to the press?

View conversation
    0 retweets2 likes

22. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "This is a mainstream sport. It's not 'for Hispanics.' It's not 'for Eurosnobs.' It's for everybody."

7 retweets8 likes

23. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Yes, this interrupted my convention-going. Fantastic RT @ThierryHenryNOT: Now, THAT was some great gridiron! Harvard v. @PENNfb

View conversation
    0 retweets3 likes

24. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Of note: whereas most of the BlazerCon speakers have been available after their events to speak with the press, Ferran Soriano will not be.

0 retweets0 likes

25. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on this year: "The first thing to say is we are totally disappointed with the results... We need to play better soccer."

1 retweet1 like

26. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "I think Patrick is going to help teaching and developing some of the American players we have."

4 retweets1 like

27. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on American players: "They are competitive, they work hard and want to learn. So they need good coaching"

2 retweets0 likes

28. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: Txiki Begiristain first recommended that Patrick Vieira go to New York.

11 retweets6 likes

29. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "Someone who knows how to coach good soccer in England or Spain can do it here."

1 retweet1 like

30. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    More NYCFC gear than Man City gear in the room. Slight edge on the day overall.

5 retweets3 likes

31. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on Patrick Vieira at NYCFC: "We have brought maybe our best coach here."

7 retweets12 likes

32. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours ago
    Surprisingly empty room as Ferran Sorriano takes the stage to discuss NYCFC with @rogbennett.

Sounds essentially like another non-event, where he refused to elaborate on any details and just gave generic responses to standard questions - like 99% of sporting interviews, really. Not sure why I expected something different.

nocountry.jpg

https://twitter.com/JasonLeMiere/status/665641073348341760

Here's all the tweets Tannenwald made at Blazercon. It's just a copy/paste of the twitter stream so you'll have to read from the bottom up if you want it in chronological order.
  1. Jonathan Tannenwald Retweeted
    Arielle Castillo ‏@ariellec 3h3 hours ago
    "The one thing that is different [from other leagues] is the size of the opportunity." - Soriano on #MLS #NYCFC #BlazerCon

7 retweets9 likes

1. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Lots of talk about patience and long term vision at NYCFC. Not one word about why Jason Kreis was dismissed after one season.

5 retweets13 likes

2. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Now Ferran Soriano is talking about Manchester City. So I'll stop tweeting for a bit.

1 retweet10 likes

3. Steve Holroyd ‏@Section107RowA 3h3 hours ago
    @thegoalkeeper I actually had dinner with Ferran at a Union match. My take was he did not care a whit for MLS. This is a CFG cash grab.

View conversation
    6 retweets6 likes

4. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 3h3 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the lack of technical quality in American players: "They need to be helped - but if they are helped they will be better."

3 retweets3 likes

5. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The MLS product is a fantastic product and will win in the end."

6 retweets10 likes

6. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the future of MLS: "I don't know where we will get, but the direction is the right one."

2 retweets4 likes

7. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The competitor, I know from MLS fans, is not the NFL because they want to watch soccer."

3 retweets3 likes

8. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano says MLS needs better players. "The wrong thing to do is to spend more on the same players."

8 retweets8 likes

9. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: NYCFC is losing money. Spent more on players this year than there was revenue.

10 retweets10 likes

10. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "There's a lot of people who think MLS isn't good and aren't watching it."

4 retweets6 likes

11. Arielle Castillo ‏@ariellec 4h4 hours ago
    "I don't buy any more the idea that the MLS is more physical and less technical." - Soriano #NYCFC #BlazerCon

3 retweets6 likes

12. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "The teams [in MLS] that are playing well are playing good soccer."

4 retweets4 likes

13. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    .@rogbennett: "What if it's not possible to play beautiful soccer in MLS right now?" Soriano: "I challenge this. I think it is possible."

6 retweets4 likes

14. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "This is a three-to-five year cycle."

3 retweets3 likes

15. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Multiple questions and answers around the need for, as Soriano said, "patience and a long-term view."

0 retweets0 likes

16. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    To those tweeting at me that Soriano is either hypocritical or stating the obvious: I'm just he transcriber.

0 retweets2 likes

17. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on the four MLS playoff semifinalists: The "common denominator" is "they all play organized."

4 retweets4 likes

18. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "We need to be more technical in the way we play soccer." Also says defense wasn't good enough.

4 retweets3 likes

19. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on 2015 results: "The result is only part of it because it is extremely difficult for an expansion team to make the playoffs"

4 retweets1 like

20. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on NYCFC's first season off the field: "Better than what we thought" it would be.

4 retweets3 likes

21. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Well, yeah. RT @MarkFishkin: @thegoalkeeper what does he have to gain by speaking to the press?

View conversation
    0 retweets2 likes

22. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "This is a mainstream sport. It's not 'for Hispanics.' It's not 'for Eurosnobs.' It's for everybody."

7 retweets8 likes

23. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Yes, this interrupted my convention-going. Fantastic RT @ThierryHenryNOT: Now, THAT was some great gridiron! Harvard v. @PENNfb

View conversation
    0 retweets3 likes

24. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Of note: whereas most of the BlazerCon speakers have been available after their events to speak with the press, Ferran Soriano will not be.

0 retweets0 likes

25. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on this year: "The first thing to say is we are totally disappointed with the results... We need to play better soccer."

1 retweet1 like

26. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "I think Patrick is going to help teaching and developing some of the American players we have."

4 retweets1 like

27. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on American players: "They are competitive, they work hard and want to learn. So they need good coaching"

2 retweets0 likes

28. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: Txiki Begiristain first recommended that Patrick Vieira go to New York.

11 retweets6 likes

29. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano: "Someone who knows how to coach good soccer in England or Spain can do it here."

1 retweet1 like

30. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    More NYCFC gear than Man City gear in the room. Slight edge on the day overall.

5 retweets3 likes

31. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours agoGreenpoint, Brooklyn
    Ferran Soriano on Patrick Vieira at NYCFC: "We have brought maybe our best coach here."

7 retweets12 likes

32. Jonathan Tannenwald ‏@thegoalkeeper 4h4 hours ago
    Surprisingly empty room as Ferran Sorriano takes the stage to discuss NYCFC with @rogbennett.
What a ***** Tannenwald can be. He's so up his own ass wanting to be Grant Wahl.

He's the fucking hypocrite. He kisses the ass of anyone giving him a platform or a talking point. He's a union fanboy dweeb in the truest sense.

"Just transcribing" my ass. He's selectively tweeting shit to support the narrative he wants. So he can get his virginal nerd nuts licked by other mls underroo wearing peons. They all sit around stroking their 3 inch MLS erections and congratulating one another on how hard they can get it, without ever wondering why they have no partners. They fucking disgust me.

Well, the big question was: who is going to be the MLS rules guy working with Vieira?

I guess this answers that.
This is the scariest thing to me. Yes I know it was Kreis's fault, but Kreis actually won things in this league, was a coach for a very good team, even if he probably had a great support staff to do it. Reyna hasn't done jack squat ever, he wasn't even that good when he retired with NJRB. I am still not convinced that he knows what he is doing. If we feel the cap wasn't handled right or that the wrong players were here, sure Kreis had a hand in that, but its ultimately Reyna's job. I am not sure he did his job right in 2015, and with no help now from a head coach, I don't see him improving next year.

Well, the big question was: who is going to be the MLS rules guy working with Vieira?

I guess this answers that.
You're not taking that tweet & statement literally, are you ?!?! Sure, Reyna will be in charge of the administrative side, but from a senior position. He's not the one crunching the numbers or running the spreadsheet or even doing the inital scouting - he's going to be the guy deciding if NYCFC pulls the trigger on Player A or moves on to Player B. MLS has some archaic rules, but there is nothing, and let me repeat that, nothing in the capology portion of the rules that cannot be inserted in to a spreadsheet to keep track of on both a micro and macro level. You read enough blogs, and you'll see that there are many people out there that have an understanding of the rules, and these people have other day jobs - they aren't focused on MLS player contracts as their job. CFG isn't stupid - they have people dedicated to the task. Hell, if I didn't have a 7mo old baby that takes up my day, I could write a spreadsheet this afternoon that, while not perfect, would sure let me figure out and keep track of the team's cap and would highlight what's available to play with - granted, I'd have to take some liberties and make assumptions with contract lengths, but it could be done.

You know, folks will be offended that he said it, but I absolutely agree that it is a necessary step. When we are exporting top young talent in conjunction with bringing in European cup squad or better level talent, we will be significantly closer to being a true top N (4, 6, 10, whatever) league.

This is the scariest thing to me. Yes I know it was Kreis's fault, but Kreis actually won things in this league, was a coach for a very good team, even if he probably had a great support staff to do it. Reyna hasn't done jack squat ever, he wasn't even that good when he retired with NJRB. I am still not convinced that he knows what he is doing. If we feel the cap wasn't handled right or that the wrong players were here, sure Kreis had a hand in that, but its ultimately Reyna's job. I am not sure he did his job right in 2015, and with no help now from a head coach, I don't see him improving next year.
You're not wrong. Not at all. I have no belief in Reyna's value on that front. He doesn't strike me as a second-level thinker. I do, however, have confidence that if the organization deems that to be the case, they will remove those duties from him even if he keeps his job. I suspect his moves in the next 15 months will be heavily scrutinized. He gets off this time by shifting all of the busts to Kreis, but now he'll have to "own it" as someone else posted elsewhere.

I have no doubt we'll eventually get it all right, eventually. I just worry about how protracted the learning curve could become. If we take 5 years to be a true top tier club, that's still pretty impressive. If we're still finding our legs in year 5, there will be a lot of questions to be raised and likely a lot of deserved criticisms. Anywhere in the middle is probably just the expected development cycle under present circumstances.

You're not taking that tweet & statement literally, are you ?!?! Sure, Reyna will be in charge of the administrative side, but from a senior position. He's not the one crunching the numbers or running the spreadsheet or even doing the inital scouting - he's going to be the guy deciding if NYCFC pulls the trigger on Player A or moves on to Player B. MLS has some archaic rules, but there is nothing, and let me repeat that, nothing in the capology portion of the rules that cannot be inserted in to a spreadsheet to keep track of on both a micro and macro level. You read enough blogs, and you'll see that there are many people out there that have an understanding of the rules, and these people have other day jobs - they aren't focused on MLS player contracts as their job. CFG isn't stupid - they have people dedicated to the task. Hell, if I didn't have a 7mo old baby that takes up my day, I could write a spreadsheet this afternoon that, while not perfect, would sure let me figure out and keep track of the team's cap and would highlight what's available to play with - granted, I'd have to take some liberties and make assumptions with contract lengths, but it could be done.
I think the worry is not in getting him the data, but his functional use of it. I think there must be some intuitive element when it comes to the practical implementation of using cap money and other mechanisms. The concern is that we have no basis to judge whether Reyna has this ability or even the aptitude to develop it.

I am in the skeptical camp when it comes to him. I'm sure that surprises no one, given that I'm mostly a skeptic about everything.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT