Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Also-- as a lifelong New Yorker, and parent who shepherded two kids through youth soccer in the City, I always regarded the Willets site as by far the best possible site for our stadium. The other sports stadiums (and museums, park, etc), the transportation, the international character of the neighborhoods all around, and most of all, as anyone who has wandered through Flushing Meadows-Corona Park on a weekend afternoon and seen about a million youth and pickup soccer games playing out can tell you-- it's the epicenter of soccer culture in the city.

LFG
When I went to that promotional meeting with Soriano a few years back, he talked about a trip to NY when he was still with Barcelona. He walked around that park and met the local guys out kicking the ball around. He asked them about MLS pointing out that they could go to Red Bulls games. They all answered that it was too hard for them to get out to New Jersey. The Red Bulls had even gone to that park and given out free tickets, but even then, nobody went because it was too long a trip.

Soriano said that's when he knew a club in NYC could be great, but only if it was in the city. Now he's got one basically in the park itself.

Sorry I mean of the plots near citi field. I believe some people on the forum was measuring the plot below this one.
You or someone would have to do a fair bit of digging through the stadium thread to figure out if this exact plot was considered before the last few months. Like I said, the entire area was considered: the parking lots, the auto shop area, and even Corona Park way back. But I'm not sure if this specific plot within the auto shop neighborhood was considered.
Maybe someone else knows, but absent that, it could be tough to check.

Reactions: Kjbert
When I went to that promotional meeting with Soriano a few years back, he talked about a trip to NY when he was still with Barcelona. He walked around that park and met the local guys out kicking the ball around. He asked them about MLS pointing out that they could go to Red Bulls games. They all answered that it was too hard for them to get out to New Jersey. The Red Bulls had even gone to that park and given out free tickets, but even then, nobody went because it was too long a trip.

Soriano said that's when he knew a club in NYC could be great, but only if it was in the city. Now he's got one basically in the park itself.
I love how from this and some of the speeches today it's clear that Ferran really cares about the NYCFC project, for whatever people like to say about our team/ambition (here and elsewhere)

You or someone would have to do a fair bit of digging through the stadium thread to figure out if this exact plot was considered before the last few months. Like I said, the entire area was considered: the parking lots, the auto shop area, and even Corona Park way back. But I'm not sure if this specific plot within the auto shop neighborhood was considered.
I did this one a billion years ago:

CitiFieldStadiumComplex.png

I love how from this and some of the speeches today it's clear that Ferran really cares about the NYCFC project, for whatever people like to say about our team/ambition (here and elsewhere)
Exactly.

What Soriano said is that what he's running now at CFG is what he envisioned when he was at Barcelona. It was his passion project, and it tied into that visit to NYC. Barcelona didn't want to invest in growing a network of Clubs. That club is owned by the fans, and they just wanted more spending on player acquisitions. That's why Ferran Soriano left for CFG and Man City.

I remember talking up the parking lot post-Avella v. City of NY on here if that's what they're thinking, but I'm sure the club probably felt (and not without reason, tbh) that potentially needing state legislative approval for the project was far more of a hassle than just waiting for the city to remediate the other side of CitiField.

So Carton and Roberts spent a ton of time talking about the stadium today on WFAN (you can listen on the audacy site/app). Interesting take, they were really happy for NYCFC and soccer in the city in general but then went on this long rant about how the Jets are still in NJ. And that they can get out of their lease in 2025. Just putting this out there. There a A LOT more Jets fans then there are NYCFC fans, and with $750mm already pledged & the project approve could the Johnsons offer $1B more to make it an 80k seat stadium with retractable roof and field like Tottenham? Kenny Kenny are you violating your NDA with a quick Yes or No answer to this possibility?

Personally I don’t think the Jets go anywhere, especially after building that training facility in NJ when they left Hofstra. But it makes a lot of sense to hitch their wagon to an approved project and add extra cash.

So Carton and Roberts spent a ton of time talking about the stadium today on WFAN (you can listen on the audacy site/app). Interesting take, they were really happy for NYCFC and soccer in the city in general but then went on this long rant about how the Jets are still in NJ. And that they can get out of their lease in 2025. Just putting this out there. There a A LOT more Jets fans then there are NYCFC fans, and with $750mm already pledged & the project approve could the Johnsons offer $1B more to make it an 80k seat stadium with retractable roof and field like Tottenham? Kenny Kenny are you violating your NDA with a quick Yes or No answer to this possibility?

Personally I don’t think the Jets go anywhere, especially after building that training facility in NJ when they left Hofstra. But it makes a lot of sense to hitch their wagon to an approved project and add extra cash.
As a Jets fan since childhood, nothing would make me happier, but while I guess one can never say never, I have never heard anything that would make me think a role for the Jets is a possibility.

P.S. you're my doppleganger who is also a NYCFC, Jets, and Spurs fan aren't you :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
As a Jets fan since childhood, nothing would make me happier, but while I guess one can never say never, I have never heard anything that would make me think a role for the Jets is a possibility.

P.S. you're my doppleganger who is also a NYCFC, Jets, and Spurs fan aren't you :cool:
I am! Islanders too?

Never been a big hockey fan, but-- for your sake, I'm in! LFG Isles!

(and actually the last hockey game I went to was Isles at Barclays Center a few years ago, went with a couple work friends)
My sports brother from another mother

• Haha
Reactions: Kenny

I feel like the Jets could have done this but that would involve them spending their own money.

They’re probably angling for another $900 million from Hochul

Anyone know what a normal timeframe would be for the actual renderings to be released?
Now that he's let his pigeon fly the coop, I'd imagine Kenny Kenny would probably best be able to answer this one. My only experience with the process from beginning to end is the GloFo project. In that case, the drawings at the big Town Board meeting to give the final yay or nay were the ultimate design.

There were a few little tweaks after that during the permitting process (they changed the windows a little, that kind of thing) and one huge kerfuffle over a big outdoors chemical tank next to the plant when someone realized it was within range of a hunting rifle shot from the security fence. If a hunter accidentally plugged it -- or worse yet, a sniper with a high-powered rifle nailed it on purpose -- the explosion would have taken out half of Malta, including the Luther Forest development where I used to live, and all of the Village of Round Lake.

So, yeah. They had to tweak that too.

But the plant you see there now is the one approved by the Town Board at the final meeting. The ultimate renderings were released before that at a press conference, though. And a press packet was distributed as well. All that happened a few weeks before the Board meeting, and additional votes happened after that at the Planning Board as the project progressed.

Reactions: Kjbert and DeGrozz
Kenny Kenny

Can you divulge some other sites they mocked up and if anything else really got close?
The GAL site was very close. The amazing SoupInNYC SoupInNYC pretty much nailed everything that went on with that one. There was even an early design/renderings of the stadium. Way back at the start, the Fountain site in Flushing Meadows Corona Park was also very real. I believe it was engineering issues that stalled that out more than the vocal opposition, although the latter was going to be a problem as well.

The GAL site was very close. The amazing SoupInNYC SoupInNYC pretty much nailed everything that went on with that one. There was even an early design/renderings of the stadium. Way back at the start, the Fountain site in Flushing Meadows Corona Park was also very real. I believe it was engineering issues that stalled that out more than the vocal opposition, although the latter was going to be a problem as well.

Did Levine really kill GAL?

really seems like yankee ownership stake in the club is ending ... such a huge announcement for the club and zero yankee representation and zero yankee recognition from any of their social media channels.

good riddens.

but i'm curious how the next 4 years will go while we are still technically homeless.