Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Assuming all three votes pass, are we ready to actually start yet or there's more after that? Forgive my forgetting the full complicated-AF process lol
There's more.

The mayor then has 5 days to approve, which should not be an issue.

Then there's a period where the decision could be appealed. I've read some stuff that says its a 120 day period, but honestly, the literature out there on the appeal period is very not good and I don't know enough on it. I've also heard that it could be sooner than the 120 day period for some other reasons, which I'm not going to get into because I just don't know enough on it.

There are also two other items that still need to occur outside of ULURP. The more important one is the Queens Borough Board voting on the business terms of the deal (rent amount, etc.) and the less important one is the NYC Design Commission approving the designs of the developments. I am unsure on timing of those, but I imagine they would occur within the appeal period.

There's more.

The mayor then has 5 days to approve, which should not be an issue.

Then there's a period where the decision could be appealed. I've read some stuff that says its a 120 day period, but honestly, the literature out there on the appeal period is very not good and I don't know enough on it. I've also heard that it could be sooner than the 120 day period for some other reasons, which I'm not going to get into because I just don't know enough on it.

There are also two other items that still need to occur outside of ULURP. The more important one is the Queens Borough Board voting on the business terms of the deal (rent amount, etc.) and the less important one is the NYC Design Commission approving the designs of the developments. I am unsure on timing of those, but I imagine they would occur within the appeal period.
I really hope they'll be able to actually build this stadium in 2.5 years. seems unlikely?

As a veteran of the NYC environmental/ULURP process, the lack of any meaningful opposition to this project is almost unprecedented. Like, if you could have designed a site and a project for the absolute minimum friction from both the City and the community, this would pretty much be it: 100% affordable housing with a 100% privately financed stadium nestled within, on a contaminated site where nobody lives and a ramshackle little collection of borderline illegal businesses. And in the flight path of a major airport, which precludes tall buildings.

Just *chef's kiss*

As a veteran of the NYC environmental/ULURP process, the lack of any meaningful opposition to this project is almost unprecedented. Like, if you could have designed a site and a project for the absolute minimum friction from both the City and the community, this would pretty much be it: 100% affordable housing with a 100% privately financed stadium nestled within, on a contaminated site where nobody lives and a ramshackle little collection of borderline illegal businesses. And in the flight path of a major airport, which precludes tall buildings.

Just *chef's kiss*

Also speaks to how much groundwork the team was doing behind the scenes on this to engender support in the community and among politicians.

I really hope they'll be able to actually build this stadium in 2.5 years. seems unlikely?
I was told by someone who works closely with the folks who do the environmental impact studies that the likelihood of something not coming up, with the amount of remediation that occurred, is very remote. They would bet against a 2027 opening.

Who knows though.

Good point, having Moya as not only a supporter but as an active cheerleader was helpful.
Dad always said, "Kid, it ain't what you know, it's who you know." Had it not been for Moya, and (arguably) a change in the city administration, we'd still be banging around in the South Bronx and no closer today than we were two years ago.
I was told by someone who works closely with the folks who do the environmental impact studies that the likelihood of something not coming up, with the amount of remediation that occurred, is very remote. They would bet against a 2027 opening.

Who knows though.
A big fear. I'll still be gnawing on things until the first shovel hits the ground.