Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Is the "Belmont Park solution" completely outside city limits?
I thought a portion of it was inside NYC?
I'm all-but-certain that Belmont raceway is 100% just outside city limits, albeit very, very close. It might have been the inspiration of the straddling the border hypothetical, although it does not quite straddle. I believe it is right there on the border. I think the Cosmos proposal has the same characteristics.

Probably because they have a hard enough time filling our Shuart Stadium.
I'm laughing because I never considered going to a Cosmos match even though I know where Shuart Stadium is. (I know where MCU Park is, too.)

Don't get me wrong.
I don't care one way or the other if the "Belmont Park" solution is approved or not. I just think that it's ridiculous that a fully-formed proposal hasn't been responded to. If attendance at Shuart is reason to deny the proposal, then the EDC should do so. I just object to the inaction of people who then turn around and complain about cost overruns. What do you imagine is responsible for cost overruns?

Reactions: thesauerchise
I'm sure, at some level, MLS cares about NASL; that's pretty much what the partnership with USL was about.
I can't prove it, but I'm willing to bet that MLS and USL conspire against NASL.
One situation I watch, with interest, is "The Battle for Oklahoma City" (and Tulsa beyond).
It's quite interesting.
It's actually been reported that MLS and NASL were on the very brink of making the same agreement as MLS-USL. At the late stages, the Cosmos came along and convinced the NASL owners against the agreement. MLS then went to USL.
My point is that as far as the whole development system is concerned, MLS was looking for a partner so they could build the system they wanted. NASL balked, USL accepted and now NASL is independent and arguably struggling while USL is thriving. I don't think MLS cares much which league does better, as the long as it's the league that's partnering with them.

Reactions: Kjbert and Paul
its big and clunky. there is a parking lot. theres no post game stuff to do (applebees and chipotle, just no). its in the middle of pretty much no where with no atmosphere. the Long Island demo isnt really working out as seen in Shuart Stadium.

Long Island never supports any teams. I think the nets started there and nobody went to the islanders and no one goes to the Mets. Brooklyn might be the shit but guys with giant beards that sell $40 bottles of pickles are not there for the long run.
Long island does not support their teams while westchester northern jersey and fairfield do. Put the stadium in southern Yonkers at the racetrack

Long Island never supports any teams. I think the nets started there and nobody went to the islanders and no one goes to the Mets. Brooklyn might be the shit but guys with giant beards that sell $40 bottles of pickles are not there for the long run.
Long island does not support their teams while westchester northern jersey and fairfield do. Put the stadium in southern Yonkers at the racetrack
What teams do Westchester and Fairfield have to support?

Reactions: edurban and adam
The Mets are averaging over 31,000 per game and will top 2 1/2 million this year. Doesn't sound like "no one goes there" to me. Also they're not on Long Island, they're in New York City.

Facts are good.

And I can't see Yonkers happening. A) It's not actually in New York City and B) there's no subway or pubic transportation. How are 30,000 people going to get there? Not gonna happen.

What teams do Westchester and Fairfield have to support?

Yankees, Rangers, Giants, Knicks. Long island supports Mets, Jets, Islanders and we know how that worked out.
The # of corporations in Westchester and Fairfield dwarf that of the Island

The Mets are averaging over 31,000 per game and will top 2 1/2 million this year. Doesn't sound like "no one goes there" to me. Also they're not on Long Island, they're in New York City.

Facts are good.

And I can't see Yonkers happening. A) It's not actually in New York City and B) there's no subway or pubic transportation. How are 30,000 people going to get there? Not gonna happen.

Mets are averaging just over 31000 with what can be considered the most exciting team in baseball. The Yankees average just under 40000 with a team that's Meh at best. Both have new stadiums. It has to do with the fan base and where corporations are willing to spend there $. Trains run through Yonkers and the subway stops close to the border.
They should really put the team in Stamford, Ct. There is plenty of space for a stadium and training grounds, 2 major roadways and Metro North. I am not in favor of that but it makes more sense.

Reactions: Kjbert
Which kinda leads me to what I've been wondering for a while.
If NYCFC ends up locating outside the five boroughs, how much fan support do they lose?

I know my entire interest lies with them being INSIDE city boundaries, even if its just a toehold.

As for sharing facilities with another club, my interest there was as a taxpayer as opposed to a fan. If the Sheik wants to build a stadium without using public money, he can build what he wants and not share it with anybody as far as I'm concerned.

As to which team draws what fans, let any team in the NYC area start winning and the fans will come out. As all the rabid comments about Kreis, Grabavoy, Wingert, et al. show, winning cures everything. Nobody really cares what's happening so long as a team wins. New Yorkers will turn out if they even sniff a win.

So different than LA where "there's so many things to do" blah blah blah.

Mets are averaging just over 31000 with what can be considered the most exciting team in baseball. The Yankees average just under 40000 with a team that's Meh at best. Both have new stadiums. It has to do with the fan base and where corporations are willing to spend there $. Trains run through Yonkers and the subway stops close to the border.
They should really put the team in Stamford, Ct. There is plenty of space for a stadium and training grounds, 2 major roadways and Metro North. I am not in favor of that but it makes more sense.
No, none of this makes sense to me.

There are two subways that are "close" to Yonkers Raceway. The 2 train is almost two miles away, and the 1 train is four miles! Nobody is going to do this to get to a match. Even the railroad is a mile and half. Stamford is quicker because it's on Metro North, but that cost $25 round trip. Also, how are you going to fit 20,000 or 30,000 people or so on packed rush hour trains out of Grand Central? How many trains will they need to have going back into the city at night to get everyone back home? No, this is crazy. It was a mess getting everyone to Red Bull Arena and that was only a couple of thousand people. Now imagine 10x that many trying to get to Stamford. There's only four trains going back to the city between 9:56pm and 11:04pm. Can they fit 20,000 in? Also, people are willing to wait for a subway or two because they're only a few minutes apart, but who's going to want to wait for that fourth train at 11:04pm? That's two hours after the match ends.

It's not even worth starting a Mets/Yankees argument. You're talking about attendance *this* year, but season tickets lag a year or two behind team performance. If the Yankees place 4th for five years in a row how many season tickets will they sell in year 5? Or if the Mets win the Series this year yes, there'll be an increase in season tickets next year, sure. But it's going to take maybe five years in a row of good (and winning) teams to get a large increase in ticket sales. So sure, Jeter and Rivera sold a lot of season tickets to people who are still sitting in the stadium but they're both retired now. If the Yankees start losing for a few years in a row they'll still sell tickets but not nearly as many. And the Mets are the same, if they start their own "dynasty." It's going to take a number of years to get that up to speed though. To compare Mets vs. Yankees ticket sales has far too many variables. As another factor in ticket sales, people have been calling for Terry Collins' head as recently as the All Star game but now that they're winning he's a genius. (I may be saying the exact same thing about Kreis in a couple of years, but that's a different argument.)

Anyway, the point is that ticket sales have less to do with the fan base and corporate spending and far more to do with how the ownership is willing to build the team. If the Mets continued their non-spending ways we wouldn't be where we are now this season. But they shocked everyone and got a few good players and now they're in the playoffs. A few more years of this and who knows? But *that's* when we should be discussing season ticket sales and attendance numbers, not now after they've been awful for a number of years.

Anyway, my point here is that Yonkers is not going to work, in the same way that Belmont or Aqueduct won't work. And forget about Stamford as that's just completely unrealistic. Or perhaps Stamford could work, but that certainly won't be a New York team as nobody from the city will go to the games.