Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Only issue with the Jets that hasn't been mentioned is they recently (a few years back) moved their training facilities from Hofstra and built a brand new state of the art facility in Florham Park, NJ. Is it possible to still train there and play in NYC; yes. And do most players & staff now live in NJ instead of LI because of the move; yes. Could the Jets see leaving their training facility in NJ as a way to poach some Gints fans while returning to their core fan base of Queens and LI; yes. It's feasible and would make sense for the Jets because they wouldn't have to carry the full burden of paying for stadium construction. Since the Jets and NYCFC are my 2 favorite teams, I'd be in heaven. Let's do it!
Also someone here - I forget who - was arguing that despite the Jets legal ability to break their lease at certain points, they invested a lot into MetLife. I believe it is owned by a joint venture entity co-owned by the Jets and Giants and they cannot get out of that, unless the Giants agree to buy them out, which I cannot imagine why they would. If the Jets leave MetLife the joint venture loses half its rental income which would be very very bad.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I've been way for a few days and just catching up. Lot of people in this thread stating uninformed opinions as facts. Pretty funny, actually.

Maybe if the Jets were willing to pay for a retractable pitch like is being done with White Hart Lane 2.0

View attachment 5488

View attachment 5487

Interesting. I didn't know that Tottenham was using the sliding pitch. They also have that in Glendale, Arizona as a way to have natural turf under a dome. I've long thought it could have real applicability for a soccer stadium. Maybe have the pitch slide out so you can use the space as a convention center.

This sliding pitch talk reminds me that when I was a kid watching the Knicks and Rangers on TV I didn't realize until I was probably 10 or 12 (maybe even in high school) that they played in the same space. I knew they were both MSG, but I guess I thought there were three big rooms, the Felt Forum, where they had fights (now known as the Theater at MSG and rarely any more fights), and the basketball arena and the hockey rink. When I finally figured out there was ice just below the basketball hardwood, Mind=BLOWN.

Last edited:
Not entirely relevant, but I remember seeing the sliding pitch in Gelsenkirchen, Germany back in 2006. I went by the stadium the day before the US world cup game and saw the pitch outside, it was so cool, I could even walk on a portion of it!

Reactions: Kjbert
How would the pitch survive in the MLS offseason/winter if it's slid under the stands ala Tottenham? Arizona's and Gelsenkirchen's design have the entire pitch sliding outdoors but I doubt you'll find enough space for that trick in NYC with real estate being so valuable.

Last edited:
This sliding pitch talk reminds me that when I was a kid watching the Knicks and Rangers on TV I didn't realize until I was probably 10 or 12 (maybe even in high school) that they played in the same space. I knew they were both MSG, but I guess I thought there were three big rooms, the Felt Forum, where they had fights (now known as the Theater at MSG and rarely any more fights), and the basketball arena and the hockey rink. When I finally figured out there was ice just below the basketball hardwood, Mind=BLOWN.
Blew my mind when I learned the ice/court was 3 or 4 stories above 7th Ave..

Jets aren't going anywhere. Woody Johnson is one of the cheapest men in professional sports (it's all relative) and not close to being one of the brightest either.

Outside of the City of New York footing the cost of a new stadium for him, he's stuck in New Jersey.

Jets aren't going anywhere. Woody Johnson is one of the cheapest men in professional sports (it's all relative) and not close to being one of the brightest either.

Outside of the City of New York footing the cost of a new stadium for him, he's stuck in New Jersey.

I don't think that's a fair assessment. The Jets did have a low cap number a couple years ago, but that was part of the rebuild plan. Now they are actually over the cap with the Fitz signing. And in fact have been at the full cap most of his tenure as owner. They spent a ton of money on the Florham Park facility to train better and attract free agents. He's been willing to fire GMs and Coaches with years left to pay on their contracts to try and bring in the right people. The Jets were willing to build a West Side Stadium (where NYCFC would at least be temporarily at this moment if built) till that was derailed politically. Met Life cost over $1B to build and the Jets footed half that bill.

So why again is Woody Johnson the cheapest owner not just in the NFL, but professional sports?

How would the pitch survive in the MLS offseason/winter if it's slid under the stands ala Tottenham? Arizona's and Gelsenkirchen's design have the entire pitch sliding outdoors but I doubt you'll find enough space for that trick in NYC with real estate being so valuable.
You could sell it as a "public park" but make people "stay off the lawn"!

Tempted to look back and find the last page with some real possible stadium news or even a rumor. I feel like we might be in the longest stretch of blind speculation and banter without any news or even a rumor to discuss since the start of this thread.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Tempted to look back and find the last page with some real possible stadium news or even a rumor. I feel like we might be in the longest stretch of blind speculation and banter without any news or even a rumor to discuss since the start of this thread.
I'm going to update this thread with the information I have when I get home tonight!

Reactions: gbservis
I don't think that's a fair assessment. The Jets did have a low cap number a couple years ago, but that was part of the rebuild plan. Now they are actually over the cap with the Fitz signing. And in fact have been at the full cap most of his tenure as owner. They spent a ton of money on the Florham Park facility to train better and attract free agents. He's been willing to fire GMs and Coaches with years left to pay on their contracts to try and bring in the right people. The Jets were willing to build a West Side Stadium (where NYCFC would at least be temporarily at this moment if built) till that was derailed politically. Met Life cost over $1B to build and the Jets footed half that bill.

So why again is Woody Johnson the cheapest owner not just in the NFL, but professional sports?

You're not entirely correct with all of this. Yes, he has spent on his team's salaries. Every NFL team does that.

The Westside project was going to be covered by the city as part of an Olympic bid. Once that Olympic bid failed, Woody had no interest in footing the ball. MetLife stadium was split between the Giants and Jets. Specifically, it was covered by Personal Seat License costs by season ticket holders.

So it's not fair to say he paid $500 Million for a stadium or that he was willing to build a $1 Billion stadium on his own.

You're not entirely correct with all of this. Yes, he has spent on his team's salaries. Every NFL team does that.

The Westside project was going to be covered by the city as part of an Olympic bid. Once that Olympic bid failed, Woody had no interest in footing the ball. MetLife stadium was split between the Giants and Jets. Specifically, it was covered by Personal Seat License costs by season ticket holders.

So it's not fair to say he paid $500 Million for a stadium or that he was willing to build a $1 Billion stadium on his own.

Never said he'd do $1B on his own. In answer to the PSLs: The Jets actually left the upper bowl PSL free, unlike the Giants. So are the Mara/Tisch famalies even cheaper?

I always figured it would roll out over the parking lot and then back in when it was game day.

Only really important if you have something else to do with the arena or want to have grass under a dome.