Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Little to young for this but I believe a big player in the USTA receiving that land was Mayor Dinkins and his love for the sport. Can't see DeBlasio doing the same for us.

The tennis center is also considered public and open to the public 11 months out of the year. They pay the city something like 2+ million a year depending on US Open attendence.
The USTA got the land in 1977, because the Singer Bowl (stadium on the site since the 1964 World Fair) was not being used. They signed expansion contract with the city as Dinkins was on his way out of office in 1993.

Totally correct on the public use and money part as well.

I read somewhere that the US Open takes in more money in 3 weeks than the Knicks do all season

The USTA got the land in 1977, because the Singer Bowl (stadium on the site since the 1964 World Fair) was not being used. They signed expansion contract with the city as Dinkins was on his way out of office in 1993.

Totally correct on the public use and money part as well.

So this got me down a wikipedia rabbit hole. Singer Bowl became Armstrong Stadium which was the main venue of the US Open until Arthur Ashe opened in 1997. By 2018, Armstrong Stadium will also have a retractable roof and 15k seating. FML.

Little to young for this but I believe a big player in the USTA receiving that land was Mayor Dinkins and his love for the sport. Can't see DeBlasio doing the same for us.

The tennis center is also considered public and open to the public 11 months out of the year. They pay the city something like 2+ million a year depending on US Open attendence.
So anybody can just walk up each day and play on the courts? Surely not in the main arenas???

The same could be said for a future soccer stadium - the public can't use the stadium, but a majority of practice fields could be set aside for parks permit play.

Reactions: Kjbert
So anybody can just walk up each day and play on the courts? Surely not in the main arenas???

The same could be said for a future soccer stadium - the public can't use the stadium, but a majority of practice fields could be set aside for parks permit play.
You need a tennis permit to play on city courts. It's actually crazy expensive. Like $200 a year. But I actually use the Pitch and Putt all the time and people are playing on those courts all the time. IDK about the main area. Probably not.

There are sooooooooooooo many terrible soccer fields that are not maintained in Flushing Meadow. So many open spaces that you could put a turf field into for the community. Terrible waste of an opportunity IMHO especially if we find enough land elsewhere in the city to offset the stadium site. Even if we could get the Stadium next to CitiField, we could totally still renovate Flushing Meadow for a training site.

You need a tennis permit to play on city courts. It's actually crazy expensive. Like $200 a year. But I actually use the Pitch and Putt all the time and people are playing on those courts all the time. IDK about the main area. Probably not.

There are sooooooooooooo many terrible soccer fields that are not maintained in Flushing Meadow. So many open spaces that you could put a turf field into for the community. Terrible waste of an opportunity IMHO especially if we find enough land elsewhere in the city to offset the stadium site. Even if we could get the Stadium next to CitiField, we could totally still renovate Flushing Meadow for a training site.
Agree, huge wasted opportunity. But after going to the US Open Saturday and the Mets game Sunday, the amount of time to get to the area from Brooklyn is really prohibitive. About 20+ minutes longer to Willets Point than YS.

Wasn't Dinkins arrested for hitting a pedestrian while driving recently?

Also Dante, de Blasio's son loves NYCFC, so that should be a damn good motivator to get us a stadium.

Red Bulls no longer own their stadium- the city of Harrison does. Naming rights were being shopped even before the city took over.
Harrison owns it in name only. It's becoming more and more common for sports teams to build the stadium and "gift" it to the City with a favorable lease agreement. This allows them to greatly lower their tax burden without forcing politicians to actually give them traditional tax breaks!

My wife's office looks down on Hudson Yards. If we could just knock down that part of the high line and build over the tracks like MSG/Barclays, that would be great.

w8Bxiye.jpg

I read somewhere that the US Open takes in more money in 3 weeks than the Knicks do all season
US Open pays $46mm in prize money, the Knicks payroll is over $100mm, so right off the bat they have a $54mm advantage. US Open generates about $300mm in revenue, including sponsorship, each year, which is just about exactly as much as Forbes estimates the Knicks generate.

And guess how much the USTA pays the City per year for the right to hold the tournament and for usage of the stadium? A cool $1.5 million. A bargain.

Also, technically, the entire facility is open for public use for 10 months out of the year, although I have no idea how much use it gets. I would assume probably operating at full capacity from early Spring through late Fall.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I was talking about the revenue figure. In 3 weeks, the US Open generates $300 million.

I'm not a tennis person, but you can't discount just how much money the even brings into the city each year

My wife's office looks down on Hudson Yards. If we could just knock down that part of the high line and build over the tracks like MSG/Barclays, that would be great.

w8Bxiye.jpg

Maybe we built some land in the Hudson adjacent to Hudson Yards. It wouldn't exactly be Etihad Island, but I'll still support it.

Seriously, what is the political/legal entities stopping us from building another pier? If we have the money to build it, why not?

Maybe we built some land in the Hudson adjacent to Hudson Yards. It wouldn't exactly be Etihad Island, but I'll still support it.

Seriously, what is the political/legal entities stopping us from building another pier? If we have the money to build it, why not?
About a dozen give or take, not just city but federal. The worst place in the country to build is on a waterway. All kinds of analysis required to confirm that ecosystems aren't ruined and the construction will have a zero net-effect on the environment. Not impossible, just costly and you'll add a shit-ton of time to the schedule for the extra evaluations and approvals.

About a dozen give or take, not just city but federal. The worst place in the country to build is on a waterway. All kinds of analysis required to confirm that ecosystems aren't ruined and the construction will have a zero net-effect on the environment. Not impossible, just costly and you'll add a shit-ton of time to the schedule for the extra evaluations and approvals.

There's an ecosystem in the Hudson?

Maybe that's why there isn't any news on the stadium. We've been looked into local agencies. We need to look at the federal level. Etihad Pier!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Red Bulls no longer own their stadium- the city of Harrison does. Naming rights were being shopped even before the city took over.
Ok they no longer own it? And that matters how when their stadium is still called RedBull Arena. It doesn't matter who owns it now, all it matters is who fronted the money to build it and who fronts the money for the naming rights. This is why RedBull did what they did. MARKETING.

So the next time some RedBull fan wants to talk about NYCFC being a marketing ploy for Man City blah blah, just tell them to watch that HBO Real Sports piece.

Ok they no longer own it? And that matters how when their stadium is still called RedBull Arena. It doesn't matter who owns it now, all it matters is who fronted the money to build it and who fronts the money for the naming rights. This is why RedBull did what they did. MARKETING.

So the next time some RedBull fan wants to talk about NYCFC being a marketing ploy for Man City blah blah, just tell them to watch that HBO Real Sports piece.
Link to the Real Sports segment?

Your response was about a future decision concerning the Red Bulls who would no longer play in an arena named Red Bull Arena so the marketing point would be moot. I don't think they would ever share a stadium with us but its not going to be because of marketing.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert