its-happening-gif.png

Fast forward to 1 Hour and 48 Minutes:

- Tens of thousands of housing units on 61 acres
- 100% affordable housing
- 61 acre space
- "Hopefully funded by a pro soccer stadium" whatever that means
- Wants to host the 2034 World Cup there

We're never getting a stadium

So... Melinda Katz is giving her State of the Borough address, and she showed a rendering of Willet's Point with a very nice looking stadium to the east* of CitiField. At no point was NYCFC mentioned - but it was a well done, professional rendering. Maybe she commissioned it herself, maybe not... but that's definitely notable.

EDIT:
*EDIT 2: Just to remind those who probably don't want to dig through the black hole of previous stadium posts, the east side is also the side that doesn't require permission from the state legislature.

but isint the area that will take at least an extra 10 years to even get it approved due to all the permits etc and sewage not being in place underground etc

Fast forward to 1 Hour and 48 Minutes:

- Tens of thousands of housing units on 61 acres
- 100% affordable housing
- 61 acre space
- "Hopefully funded by a pro soccer stadium" whatever that means
- Wants to host the 2034 World Cup there

We're never getting a stadium

she always "wanted" one i think there was another interview ( somewhere pages back) where she said same thing

Reactions: Kjbert
A couple of thoughts here. I believe the context of this part of her presentation is her wants and wishes. She does mention the work being done at JFK and LGA and some of the other infrastructure projects already in place. She then talks about improving certain communities, eradicating homelessness, etc. None of these plans are currently in place and this is the same part of the presentation where she talks about Willets Point.

Secondly, she mentions that "hopefully the pro soccer stadium will pay for it" - I have no clue what that means. Will the pro soccer team pay for it in exchange for building 30,000 housing units? Maybe. That's not as crazy at it may seem. Will the pro soccer team subsidize the housing costs? Probably more realistic. Will there be a special soccer stadium tax that is added to all of our tickets that offsets the housing costs? Maybe. But her wording here is vague

Finally, there is no way she thought of this on her own or created her own rendering. The rendering shared in the presentation is different than the other renderings in the presentation. That leads me to believe there is some coordination between her and the Club. Unfortunately, what she is talking about is a MASSIVE undertaking by the city, club and borough. Lots of moving parts.

I feel worse about the situation after watching the presentation than I did beforehand.

but isint the area that will take at least an extra 10 years to even get it approved due to all the permits etc and sewage not being in place underground etc

The permits aren't so bad (relatively speaking), since that's only about a year or so. The environmental remediation and infrastructure may be a little more intensive - but I'd have to imagine that you could probably get away with not doing as extensive a remediation for a facility where most people spend a few hours 17 times a year.

Again, just to reiterate to everyone, the club is admitting that they're coming to her and the city Economic Development Corporation to discuss business, so don't get hung up on the "hopefully"s and the "I wanted so and so". We've gotten so used to bad news that we're finding ways to get depressed about fairly promising tea leaves.

A couple of thoughts here. I believe the context of this part of her presentation is her wants and wishes. She does mention the work being done at JFK and LGA and some of the other infrastructure projects already in place. She then talks about improving certain communities, eradicating homelessness, etc. None of these plans are currently in place and this is the same part of the presentation where she talks about Willets Point.

Secondly, she mentions that "hopefully the pro soccer stadium will pay for it" - I have no clue what that means. Will the pro soccer team pay for it in exchange for building 30,000 housing units? Maybe. That's not as crazy at it may seem. Will the pro soccer team subsidize the housing costs? Probably more realistic. Will there be a special soccer stadium tax that is added to all of our tickets that offsets the housing costs? Maybe. But her wording here is vague

Finally, there is no way she thought of this on her own or created her own rendering. The rendering shared in the presentation is different than the other renderings in the presentation. That leads me to believe there is some coordination between her and the Club. Unfortunately, what she is talking about is a MASSIVE undertaking by the city, club and borough. Lots of moving parts.

I feel worse about the situation after watching the presentation than I did beforehand.

Rewatching it, you're right she did mention the stadium during her "wishes". But I took it a bit differently. She mentions that she is hopeful of having a soccer team pay for the housing units, which sounded to me like it is the deal she has in place for the stadium to be approved on the site.

Why would she specifically mention a soccer team, why not A sports team. We are aware of what team she speaks of, but I believe since it is still in talks, she cannot mention a name. So mentions the sport.

The rendering adds more fuel to it

Willets East - Would be part of a major project that faces all kinds of political and environmental hurdles. The project will happen, but not clear how soon; it could take a long while to put everything together for construction to begin, and that would involve major and time consuming environmental remediation.

Willets West - Basically the Mets parking lot. Would probably require approval of the state legislature. Would definitely require approval of the Mets. Former could be gotten; not sure about the later. Could come together much more quickly.

Still, having Katz on board is huge. The biggest hurdle to getting a stadium is political, and nothing can kill it faster than local opposition.

Willets East - Would be part of a major project that faces all kinds of political and environmental hurdles. The project will happen, but not clear how soon; it could take a long while to put everything together for construction to begin, and that would involve major and time consuming environmental remediation.

Willets West - Basically the Mets parking lot. Would probably require approval of the state legislature. Would definitely require approval of the Mets. Former could be gotten; not sure about the later. Could come together much more quickly.

Still, having Katz on board is huge. The biggest hurdle to getting a stadium is political, and nothing can kill it faster than local opposition.

Katz for Mayor 2021!