• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Don't dilute the specificity of “couple.”
Thank you. Ever since I moved to the States, I get asked to clarify 2 or 3 when I say "couple". I usually say that if I meant 3 I would have said "threesome". Depending on context.
After that, things get fluid and overlapping.
I guess that's one way to say threesome...

Thank you. Ever since I moved to the States, I get asked to clarify 2 or 3 when I say "couple". I usually say that if I meant 3 I would have said "threesome". Depending on context.

I guess that's one way to say threesome...

You can say, "I went to the game with a couple of guys" and mean two or three people. Threesome and foursome are exclusively for golfing.

Every day we get closer to the point where it will take less time to build the actual stadium than to do the background reading on this godforsaken thread. Not close, but closer.
One day historians will look back at this insanity of a thread and truly understand the pain and anguish involved in getting any construction project done in NYC.

You can say, "I went to the game with a couple of guys" and mean two or three people.
So you could mean that you went with two people, or that three people went in total (because you are now including yourself in that particular count).

Or maybe I should try and convince my girlfriend that I understand we're a couple and all, so there could maybe be a possible third.......

One day historians will look back at this insanity of a thread and truly understand the pain and anguish involved in getting any construction project done in NYC.
"Yes, we were thinking of expanding Major League Hoverball™ into the New York Metroplex but after doing some historical research on early 21st century stadium projects we decided to build in the Atlantaplex instead."

A couple is two. I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
What about when someone says they'll be "out in a couple minutes?" Is is expected that they are only going to exit their house/room in exactly two minutes? Is it any time rounded up or down to two minutes (if so, what is the gauge of rounding around 2 minutes, +/- 15 seconds. Or any time over 1 min. 30 sec. but less than 2 min. 29 sec.)? If they don't exit in exactly 120 seconds do you lose all faith in them as a friend or an acquaintance?
giphy.gif

What about when someone says they'll be "out in a couple minutes?" Is is expected that they are only going to exit their house/room in exactly two minutes? Is it any time rounded up or down to two minutes (if so, what is the gauge of rounding around 2 minutes, +/- 15 seconds. Or any time over 1 min. 30 sec. but less than 2 min. 29 sec.)? If they don't exit in exactly 120 seconds do you lose all faith in them as a friend or an acquaintance?
giphy.gif
2 minutes for me is mulitplied by 15 because I run on Greek time.

Reactions: Schwallacus