Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
https://soccerinnyc.com/2018/10/02/...occer-investor/amp/?__twitter_impression=true.

I really think the USL stadium comment was cherry picked from the office statement.
I had no clue there were discussions for a USL team in Queens. I think that is great for soccer and the community. Maybe not great for us

According to the Borough President’s office, the three discussed the future of soccer, including a “proposal to build a 10,000- to 25,000-seat soccer stadium in the Willets Point redevelopment area that would serve as home for the Queensboro Football Club, a proposed new team that would play in the United Soccer League, a second division professional league.”

NYCFC2? The academy team plays at St. Johns, so keeping the second team in Queens would make sense. 10,000 seats would definitely be the right size for that kind of market/team.

EDIT: But who is the guy writing the article and why haven't there been any other media outlets writing about this huge soccer news for the city? (Because nobody cares about soccer.)

Last edited:
I had no clue there were discussions for a USL team in Queens. I think that is great for soccer and the community. Maybe not great for us
I think it would be great for us if we had a stadium locked down in the Bronx and could use that as our USL affiliate. A lot easier to short-term loan guys there than Louisville or elsewhere.

But yeah, without any kind of stadium at the moment, would not be great for us in our search for a location.

Reactions: Kjbert
https://soccerinnyc.com/2018/10/02/...occer-investor/amp/?__twitter_impression=true.

I really think the USL stadium comment was cherry picked from the office statement.

Edit. I only found this article as the Willets Point Task force was supposed to make their recommendation at the end of September according to Crains NY.

This seems like MAJOR news that Villa either has his own effort or is the face of someone's effort to bring USL to NYC and to compete with NYCFC for stadium sites. Potential future?

Bronx - New York City FC
Queens - Queensboro FC
Brooklyn - New York Cosmos
New Jersey - New York Red Bulls

According to the Borough President’s office, the three discussed the future of soccer, including a “proposal to build a 10,000- to 25,000-seat soccer stadium in the Willets Point redevelopment area that would serve as home for the Queensboro Football Club, a proposed new team that would play in the United Soccer League, a second division professional league.”

NYCFC2? The academy team plays at St. Johns, so keeping the second team in Queens would make sense. 10,000 seats would definitely be the right size for that kind of market/team.

EDIT: But who is the guy writing the article and why haven't there been any other media outlets writing about this huge soccer news for the city? (Because nobody cares about soccer.)

It certainly doesn't seem like this is an NYCFC2 effort. Maybe a potential affiliate, but why would CFG be pushing an NYCFC2 through David Villa, and why would it be named Queensboro FC? Villa already has an academy in Queens, I think this is 100% his own thing, maybe with additional backers.

This seems like MAJOR news that Villa either has his own effort or is the face of someone's effort to bring USL to NYC and to compete with NYCFC for stadium sites. Potential future?

Bronx - New York City FC
Queens - Queensboro FC
Brooklyn - New York Cosmos
New Jersey - New York Red Bulls

Cosmos are dead.

It certainly doesn't seem like this is an NYCFC2 effort. Maybe a potential affiliate, but why would CFG be pushing an NYCFC2 through David Villa, and why would it be named Queensboro FC? Villa already has an academy in Queens, I think this is 100% his own thing, maybe with additional backers.

Those additional backers are definitely CFG. I think CFG feels have having a separate brand for the USL team may be more beneficial as it may attract more fans beyond what NYCFC brings in. Villa doesn't have the capital to support this endeavor himself. And there's probably some agreement between CFG and Villa when he was brought over about his future investment with the group in the US.

Cosmos are dead.

Those additional backers are definitely CFG. I think CFG feels have having a separate brand for the USL team may be more beneficial as it may attract more fans beyond what NYCFC brings in. Villa doesn't have the capital to support this endeavor himself. And there's probably some agreement between CFG and Villa when he was brought over about his future investment with the group in the US.
It totally makes sense that as the first player on the team and being the face of the club at kickoff, that Villa and CFG would have a post-player career path set. We always thought he’d be an ambassador for the club, but that’s small potatoes compared to what Beckham got. Getting his own USL team in NYC is a pretty solid piece of compensation and I very much think it could be the club’s affiliate team going forward- that would explain why NYCFC has waited to start their own because Villa needs to retire first to devote himself to being an owner.

Cosmos are dead.

They're not dead until they're dead. NPSL is a real league, and even if they just stay there, the Cosmos are still worth mentioning when talking New York City soccer landscape. And NPSL Pro stands some non-zero chance of working out as a real league. And as long as they stick around in some capacity and keep carving out a small Brooklyn fanbase, they're ripe for a buyer who would have a better relationship with and actual intentions of taking them to USL.

That's slightly disappointing to me. Would rather see a completely independent USL team in my own market for rivalry sake. It's almost too close - why go to Queensboro FC games if I have equal access to NYCFC games? The sweet spot for an NYCFC2 team is outside the boroughs (Long Island, Hudson Valley, Connecticut) to bring the game to those fringe fans who maybe take the Metro North or LIRR into the city 1-3 times a year to watch the team.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Bummer, I probably would have dropped NYCFC in a heartbeat if an independent queens team popped up even if only USL. I really don't like being owned by CFG. I'm ok with mega-rich foreign national ownership, but I just don't enjoy being a cog in a corporate mega-wheel. If they are going to be the backers I'm not interested. Also would want to drop the team if something closer came up. I really don't want to travel to bronx anymore; although i am sure there are people who don't want to travel to queens. But I am just speaking for myself.

To me this is more smoke pointing to progress at a Bronx site (most likely GAL I would guess). As folks already noted, NYCFC cannot, CANNOT let the Queens site go forward for a USL team and not have an announcement of its own. This is true whether or not they are involved in the Queens team.

Jon Patricof in a black turtleneck announces an NYCFC stadium site in the Bronx. Then..."One more thing..."

Bummer, I probably would have dropped NYCFC in a heartbeat if an independent queens team popped up even if only USL. I really don't like being owned by CFG. I'm ok with mega-rich foreign national ownership, but I just don't enjoy being a cog in a corporate mega-wheel. If they are going to be the backers I'm not interested. Also would want to drop the team if something closer came up. I really don't want to travel to bronx anymore; although i am sure there are people who don't want to travel to queens. But I am just speaking for myself.
Do you support any other sporting clubs?

I have to admit, my fandom would be challenged as well for essentially the same reasons. I would likely support both, but H2H would be an open question.

Do you support any other sporting clubs?
I give the NY Giants my eyeballs on occasion; never dream of going to dirty jerz for a game though. I "support" arsenal vicariously by keeping some friends from jumping off a ledge come season end. But never bought either teams merch or game tix like I have NYCFC.

Reactions: Victors87
So, I'm talking with the writer of the article on r/MLS and he posted what Katz's office sent out. It was just a PR packet with photos and the following text:

Superstar soccer player David Villa (c.), the captain of Major League Soccer’s New York City Football Club and a standout on Spain’s national soccer team, joined Councilmember Francisco Moya (l.) at a September 24th meeting with Queens Borough President Melinda Katz held to discuss the future of “The Beautiful Game” in “The World’s Borough.” One option that was discussed is a proposal to build a 10,000 to 25,000-seat soccer stadium in the Willets Point redevelopment area that would serve as home for the Queensboro Football Club, a proposed new team that would play in the United Soccer League, a second division professional league.

WHAT WERE THE OTHER OPTIONS DISCUSSED?!?!

If the USL manage to get a stadium agreement in NYC before we do, all hell is going to break loose from the fan-base here.

this is the biggest problem here, it looks really fucking bad if this happens. especially with Villa involved ( even in just name only and nothing behind the scenes). add to that you for sure lose perhaps a good amount of fans not just on these boards.

Reactions: Fabio and Kjbert
They're not dead until they're dead. NPSL is a real league, and even if they just stay there, the Cosmos are still worth mentioning when talking New York City soccer landscape. And NPSL Pro stands some non-zero chance of working out as a real league. And as long as they stick around in some capacity and keep carving out a small Brooklyn fanbase, they're ripe for a buyer who would have a better relationship with and actual intentions of taking them to USL.

NPSL "Pro" is still going to allegedly work under the US amateur association not even USSF. so not sure how "pro" it will be. last year they were not even playing in brooklyn, they were playing columbia's soccer field in Inwood. Big part of NYC soccer history, but at present they have to figure something out or just be a historic team just surviving in the amateur ranks.