Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
look at the ULURP timeline. I'm guessing its not set in stone, but I do assume its probably accurate for modest proposals (we are anything but).

guess that means an announcement by the end of this year (2019) is pretty unlikely. We'll be lucky to have an announcement mid-season next year.

Reactions: Kjbert
Reminder on the ULURP process:

Still possibly half a year away from the pending application submission. I think you're right in that the team has probably been focusing much of its efforts on getting this through community boards and the like as quickly as possible.
I would like to say, that I think the Community Board wants this to happen.

And I want to be clear here, that this is my opinion of interpreting what the CB4 district manager, Paul Philps, said at the May 2019 CB4 meeting.

At that meeting, he noted that it was critical that this move along quickly, because there were still a couple of things that need to happen. First, he mentioned that there would need to be an environmental impact statement done. This is also known as a DEIS (Draft Environmental Impact Statement) and ultimately a FEIS (final). For reference on timeline, for the Bronx Special Natural Area Districts Update, a public hearing on the DEIS was held on 8/14/19, and a FEIS was issued on 9/13/19.

Then the ULURP process starts, Philps threw out there that that is a "7 month process".

Circling back to his Philps' comment on that this moves along quickly, he noted that there are still a couple of longish (what is considered "long" anymore regarding stadium search?) lead time events that need to happen. His concern is that if this takes too long and bleeds into 2021, there will be a new administration established at all levels, that would ultimately be voting throughout the various steps of the ULURP process (Borough President, City Planning Commission, City Council, and then the Mayor).

From the way he was talking about this, I got the sense that he wants this to happen, and I don't think he'd be speaking in that manner if he didn't have at least a majority of the board on his side. Again, this is my opinion.

He also noted that even though some of the parking garages/lots are owned by NYC Parks, that they wouldn't have to be replaced with parkland, since those properties are not zoned as parkland. So that is a hurdle that won't need to be crossed.

guess that means an announcement by the end of this year (2019) is pretty unlikely. We'll be lucky to have an announcement mid-season next year.
I think an announcement could still be made once they enter into the process. At that point, everything will be public.

Sure, it won't mean that everything is a done deal, but I would have to imagine that the club would make an announcement and provide further details, since a lot of details will be out there. They'll want to try to control the info on that instead of just allowing it to leak out.

What I heard from a senior person with the Club a few months ago was 1 year for permits, 2-3 years for construction and an announcement "soon" - meaning by the end of the year (hopefully sooner). Nothing I've heard or read since is any different than that.

I would guess that before the Club announces anything, that it has everything as tightly buttoned up as it can. That would mean obtaining any permits or approvals that don't go through a public process. It would also mean getting key politicians and officials to agree to support the project - up to and including the mayor. That said, the one year to get permits allows plenty of opportunity for parties to mount an opposition and for greedy pols to threaten to obstruct the project if they don't get trade offs. And that is by design.

An announcement is only going to be the starting gun for a process that may be a roller coaster ride for the Club and its supporters.

I think an announcement could still be made once they enter into the process. At that point, everything will be public.

Sure, it won't mean that everything is a done deal, but I would have to imagine that the club would make an announcement and provide further details, since a lot of details will be out there. They'll want to try to control the info on that instead of just allowing it to leak out.

Yeah, even if we assume it goes to the Community
Oh, and when we hear completion in 2024, remember that could be any time during the year. Let's hope it means by the 2024 season opener, which would have it within the 4 year time frame mentioned above.

I think taking 50% onto the conservative estimate is probably the better way to go, i.e., 2026.

Reactions: Kjbert
FWIW... just posted on the supporters page.
View attachment 10434

giphy.gif

FWIW... just posted on the supporters page.
View attachment 10434
Sadly this completely explains how we could have (1) the MADD Equities project discussed in the media summer 2018, and (2) NYC FO people hinting at an announcement by year end at the same time and through early fall, plus (3) huge customer research sessions that focus on time sensitive pricing issues, yet no public progress since then. They hit a roadblock and politics seem a likely possibility.

Thankfully, City Council can override the Mayor.
But if the report is correct it is more than just the mayor.

i dunno why this project wouldn't be 100% privately funded. there's no reason to take tax payer money since CFG is loaded. if they want to get it done and money is the issue, that is stupid.

politics on the other hand, is an entirely different story. maybe if we propose to build a bronx borough prison underneath the stadium and employ the convicts to man the concessions and grounds, DeBLOWsio will get on board.

CFG is still asking for public money? i thought the narrative was they are willing to use own money for the stadium.
I'm not sure where CFG asking for public money is coming from. I'm not saying I know that it's not the case, because I don't, but I don't see where that piece of information is originating.

The sense I get, is the one part of this where CFG could be "receiving public money" is if they were to not be liable for the bonds on the bankrupt garages. I put that in quotes as it's not currently CFG's responsibility, and there is plenty of reason to suspect that if someone else does not take over that property, then the city won't recoup those funds anyway. But I also understand how that can be perceived as a gov't handout.

CFG and/or NYCFC staff are showing their naivety and don't appear to have learned much of anything in almost 10 years, or they don't care to. It's easy to blame politics, because its hard to navigate, but what is the strategy and where is the will to try? It certainly feels like they just sit on their hands or make token attempts and are just waiting for the political pieces to fall into place naturally.

For those looking for potential stadium news in Queens....I don't really have anything good, haven't really attempted to look into that after seeing that NYCFC's focus turned back to the Bronx.

But, one interesting note is that some group named Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York did some lobbying on their own behalf in Periods 2 and 3 of this year (March through June).

One of the subject lines (among many) that they were querying was in regards to "Determination regarding real property - Queens soccer Stadium Development" where they targeted EDC president James Patchett and Councilmember Francisco Moya.