Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
So I just listened to BlueCityRadio 's last podcast, and I am a bit confused. Can anyone link me to a comment or an article that shows exactly where this land is south of Yankee stadium where we are rumored to be building? Is this the same thing as the GAL lot? Didn't someone say a few pages back that the lot would not be big enough without having to re-route the roads next to the Deegan?

Basically everything in this shot between 157th Street and the ramp over the Metro North tracks, so the bulk of the stadium would take the place of GAL and the parking garage (and 153rd Street would have to be demapped). Looks like you probably could squeeze a stadium in without moving that ramp further south - but it's hard to imagine that trying to get the city to pay to move it a bit south isn't part of the negotiations.

Attachments

• BronxSite.JPG
    BronxSite.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 24
There's a similar diagram in this NYT article http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/n...x-soccer-stadium-in-works-as-clock-ticks.html

For what it's worth, in Aug 2013 the NYT said they were proposing a 25,000 to 30,000 stadium for that site. But the Dec 2013 article specified 28,000. Not sure if that's indicative of them having figured out how to fit a stadium in or not. I also don't know enough about stadium footprints to know whether plopping a scale version of RB Arena (≈ 25,000 seats) down on a map is a good way to figure out whether a stadium can fit into a tight space or not, though it seems a generally useful guidepost

Basically everything in this shot between 157th Street and the ramp over the Metro North tracks, so the bulk of the stadium would take the place of GAL and the parking garage (and 153rd Street would have to be demapped). Looks like you probably could squeeze a stadium in without moving that ramp further south - but it's hard to imagine that trying to get the city to pay to move it a bit south isn't part of the negotiations.
If 153rd street would be taken up by the stadium, looks like the ramp would be removed.

If 153rd street would be taken up by the stadium, looks like the ramp would be removed.
That whole area is under construction now. I work on 167th right off the Deegan so I see it every day. I'm sure the time is now if there needs to be any re-routing of roads.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm doubting the city is willing to bust up their practically brand new Yankees MNR stop that they just pour a bunch of money into. Rerouting the Hudson line would be a disaster and very unlikely to happen. Everything has to be done with no harm to the railroad.

I'm doubting the city is willing to bust up their practically brand new Yankees MNR stop that they just pour a bunch of money into. Rerouting the Hudson line would be a disaster and very unlikely to happen. Everything has to be done with no harm to the railroad.
rail line would not be impacted, off ramp from deegan and 153rd would

Where's Robert Moses when you need him? He'd just ramrod the railroad into a tunnel beneath or build a bridge over the stadium and build it his way.

That whole area is under construction now. I work on 167th right off the Deegan so I see it every day. I'm sure the time is now if there needs to be any re-routing of roads.

I have lived on the Upper West Side for the past 28 years. I can confirm that when it comes to construction in a neighborhood that is going through major development there is absolutely no aforethought or planning. When they re-built columbus circle every time they added a new building they tore up the streets, over and over and over and over and over and over again. I am not kidding. As soon as they seal it up will be the time the city decides to build our stadium there. The sooner the better. City planning has no conception of budgeting.

Where's Robert Moses when you need him? He'd just ramrod the railroad into a tunnel beneath or build a bridge over the stadium and build it his way.
Thankfully in the grave, where he can't mess up this city anymore! That guy really messed up not only NY but LA as well. We should have more waterfront parks and properties, as well as more public transportation, but he had to go and screw it up. Power hungry asshole. Ok, sorry, personal rant over. Hopefully we can hear some rumor soon to power this thread for a few more pages.

fuck yeah he would! Ever read The Power Broker? fascinating

Moses would build that stadium, but he'd actually use the stadium as an excuse to tear up half the Bronx and upper Manhattan to build expressways so that people could get there.

Anyway, to not turn this into a Robert Moses discussion...focusing back on the GAL site. So it's just a money issue to buy out GAL and pay the back taxes on the parking lots. Anybody know what are the "ballpark" figures for both of those? I know its millions, but how many millions? Are we talking a rounding error in the federal budget or more?

Thankfully in the grave, where he can't mess up this city anymore! That guy really messed up not only NY but LA as well. We should have more waterfront parks and properties, as well as more public transportation, but he had to go and screw it up. Power hungry asshole. Ok, sorry, personal rant over. Hopefully we can hear some rumor soon to power this thread for a few more pages.

Not to derail, but of all the things to criticize about Moses (and there are certainly plenty) waterfront parks is kind of a weird thing to pick out. Jones Beach and Riverside Park are usually seen as being among his biggest successes, aren't they?

Moses would build that stadium, but he'd actually use the stadium as an excuse to tear up half the Bronx and upper Manhattan to build expressways so that people could get there.

Anyway, to not turn this into a Robert Moses discussion...focusing back on the GAL site. So it's just a money issue to buy out GAL and pay the back taxes on the parking lots. Anybody know what are the "ballpark" figures for both of those? I know its millions, but how many millions? Are we talking a rounding error in the federal budget or more?
I wouldn't be surprised if the anticipated announcement will coincide with a shift in the price of middle east fossil deposits. A shift of ever a few percent saves CFG so much in the grand scheme of things. I'd like to think that if GAL is the location, then there's already a framework in place for the contract and numbers, and CFG is simply waiting (i.e. making slight changes to delay) to sign off to see if there is a shift in the market. Seriously, a few percent translates to a vast difference in final cost..... hell, if the price was still over $100/barrel, CFG could pay cash for everything and not think twice, whereas now they're getting 1/3 the value while paying 3x more to do the same thing.

$50 million in back rent and taxes, according to this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-offers-free-rent-arab-firm-article-1.1544173.

Don't know about buying out the company.

$50 million in back rent and taxes, according to this: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-offers-free-rent-arab-firm-article-1.1544173.

Don't know about buying out the company.
i don't get why its called paying back taxes and rent. If you pay 50mm for the property and call it payment of back taxes and rent, then the property is bought for zero, yes? i guess in the crazy world of the american tax code it matters, but in reality you pay what the property is worth to own it, nothing more. I am not responsible for paying the previous failed business expenses. If they think the land is really worth 100mm and they are holding out for 150mm then it's never ever going to get sold. No one wants to inherit someone else's losses, they will just move on. And if CFG buy it for 150mm its not a victory for the seller saying they got them to pay the 50mm in back taxes. CFG deemed the property worth 150mm because they think they can get 150mm+ of value from it.

i don't get why its called paying back taxes and rent. If you pay 50mm for the property and call it payment of back taxes and rent, then the property is bought for zero, yes? i guess in the crazy world of the american tax code it matters, but in reality you pay what the property is worth to own it, nothing more. I am not responsible for paying the previous failed business expenses. If they think the land is really worth 100mm and they are holding out for 150mm then it's never ever going to get sold. No one wants to inherit someone else's losses, they will just move on. And if CFG buy it for 150mm its not a victory for the seller saying they got them to pay the 50mm in back taxes. CFG deemed the property worth 150mm because they think they can get 150mm+ of value from it.
The property wasn't being sold in that deal, it would still have been city owned land. But the city needs to get that 50 million off its books.