Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Is it possible that the Islanders would make MSG their home? Think Metlife Stadium. It's perfect for the LIRR. BTW, who is the genius who thought the hockey would do well in Brooklyn? The first thing I thought when I heard that the Islanders were moving to the Barclays Center was "STUPID."

Problem is Tisch/Maras are a classy bunch and can share. Dolans want all other NY teams to fail.

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis
Problem is Tisch/Maras are a classy bunch and can share. Dolans want all other NY teams to fail.
I imagine they like to share
Rooney-Kate-Mara.jpg

Is it possible that the Islanders would make MSG their home? Think Metlife Stadium. It's perfect for the LIRR. BTW, who is the genius who thought the hockey would do well in Brooklyn? The first thing I thought when I heard that the Islanders were moving to the Barclays Center was "STUPID."
Doubt it, between Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, concerts and everything else that happens there I don't see how they manage to fit another team into the lineup there. Besides, the city had been in discussion to end MSG's lease and improve Penn Station dramatically.

But I digress... no stadium updates.

The Islanders need to go back to the Island. I still don't get why they left in the first place. THEY can take the land by Aqueduct since all their fans travel by car. Though if they want to team up with us perhaps the might of their combined forces may actually help in securing that Willets Point deal which would make me happy. Though I'm still not 100% clear on why we can't just eminent domain one of those tennis stadiums since they've got like THREE and that's not fair. We'd make more money than the tennis does. But I like adam adam's idea for a mega complex over there.

A while ago when we were discussing Sunnyside Yards I said I'd take a photo of the sign. Here it is.
ieiVcQa.jpg

it's not expected to be completed until 2022, which translates to somewhere around 2030. So for as cool as it would be to walk a couple blocks down to the stadium for me, I'm going to have to say I hope for all our sake's that this is NOT going to be a potential site.

The Islanders need to go back to the Island. I still don't get why they left in the first place. THEY can take the land by Aqueduct since all their fans travel by car. Though if they want to team up with us perhaps the might of their combined forces may actually help in securing that Willets Point deal which would make me happy. Though I'm still not 100% clear on why we can't just eminent domain one of those tennis stadiums since they've got like THREE and that's not fair. We'd make more money than the tennis does. But I like adam adam's idea for a mega complex over there.

A while ago when we were discussing Sunnyside Yards I said I'd take a photo of the sign. Here it is.
ieiVcQa.jpg

it's not expected to be completed until 2022, which translates to somewhere around 2030. So for as cool as it would be to walk a couple blocks down to the stadium for me, I'm going to have to say I hope for all our sake's that this is NOT going to be a potential site.

Eminent domain to take down a USTA stadium? You might not remember back that far, since it was pre-forum & even pre-stadium thread (I forget which one came first anymore), but our original bid to win this franchise was contingent on us getting our stadium in the park by the tennis center. It was blocked in a NIMBY move led by the USTA and I might be off, but I think it ended with a statement that the land was better served as a new tennis stadium then a soccer stadium.

Reactions: Kjbert
Eminent domain to take down a USTA stadium? You might not remember back that far, since it was pre-forum & even pre-stadium thread (I forget which one came first anymore), but our original bid to win this franchise was contingent on us getting our stadium in the park by the tennis center. It was blocked in a NIMBY move led by the USTA and I might be off, but I think it ended with a statement that the land was better served as a new tennis stadium then a soccer stadium.
I remember that the stadium was supposed to be built over there. That shit had me excited. I don't remember them getting NIMBY-ed but I knew something happened.
To be clear (and i cant believe i have to say this lol), I was not being serious about eminent domaining a tennis stadium. I was just saying that to be funny, because it's a ludicrous thing that could never happen. But I do think it's BS that they've got this whole tennis complex that only gets used for the US Open and nothing else, when a SSS could be used for concerts and shit too. And also because who gives a shit about tennis.

I have a vague memory about the "parkland" argument and Julissa Ferrera just basically gave the USTA control over the park (probably so that this wont happen again) BUT I also remember Bloomie kicked out nearly all of the mechanicos for a shopping center hotel thing that never got off the ground either.

Totally spitballing here, but if it was a park land issue at the Fountain of Industry site, what if CFG foot the bill to clean up Willet's Point and turn it into a park? That would offset the lost park land.

I know nothing about the issues with the Fountain of Industry site though, nor how well a park land trade would work, nor if Willet's Point has potential to be a park either. Just throwing stuff at the wall here.

The NIMBY move was not led by USTA, but by local park advocates, who didn't want local residents to lose parkland because it was converted to a stadium. This argument was total BS (see below). The plan was also strongly opposed by the Wilpons, who wanted to charge obnoxious sums for soccer fans to use the Citi Field parking lots (which raises the question of why the city got such a lousy deal in its negotiations with the Mets when that stadium was built).

Totally spitballing here, but if it was a park land issue at the Fountain of Industry site, what if CFG foot the bill to clean up Willet's Point and turn it into a park? That would offset the lost park land.

I know nothing about the issues with the Fountain of Industry site though, nor how well a park land trade would work, nor if Willet's Point has potential to be a park either. Just throwing stuff at the wall here.

This is where the stadium was planned to be built. Almost all the footprint was over this fetid pond and didn't take away any playing fields, trees or other benefits enjoyed by locals.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...planets-may-be-replaced-by-mls-stadium-queens

I don't think trading Willets Point land would make since given that hundreds of millions have been and will be spent getting it ready for development.

Reactions: adam

That was the plan. "Community opposition" was cited.

Reactions: Kjbert
The NIMBY move was not led by USTA, but by local park advocates, who didn't want local residents to lose parkland because it was converted to a stadium. This argument was total BS (see below).

THIS 100%. We were asking for 17 acres I think. According to wikipedia, the park is 897 acres. I'm sure all seven people walking around the park on this cold, rainy Tuesday in February were saying to themselves, "I'm glad we have this 897 acres to enjoy because it'd sure be cramped if we only had 880 acres."

The NIMBY move was not led by USTA, but by local park advocates, who didn't want local residents to lose parkland because it was converted to a stadium. This argument was total BS (see below). The plan was also strongly opposed by the Wilpons, who wanted to charge obnoxious sums for soccer fans to use the Citi Field parking lots (which raises the question of why the city got such a lousy deal in its negotiations with the Mets when that

The deal was apposed by local residents. They were the only ones who could appose it. But you're correct, parks groups and walking groups (what the hell are those???) filled the room to give the impression that a larger local group was really opposed to it. But yes, USTA was right there too, complaining about the possible noise. http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/cit...eadows-corona-park-an-unlikely-ally/?referer=

It's amazing that this has dragged on so long, we're rehashing the history of the subject. Maybe one day my children will grow up and continue to contribute to this thread.