Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Couldn’t you have a beautiful view on the Manhattan skyline from Willets? I feel like we discussed that 700 pages ago

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Couldn’t you have a beautiful view on the Manhattan skyline from Willets? I feel like we discussed that 700 pages ago

You can see the skyline from the top of Citi Field, so presumably yes depending on the orientation of the stadium there.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm imagining a tower attached to the far side of the stadium from Manhattan. Each level has views of the pitch and the skyline. Luxury box level. Fine dining level. General dining level. Cardio club level. Etc.

If you’ve ever seen Home Alone 2, there is a (fake) view of Manhattan from LGA. But anything like that above the supporters section would be special.

And I would imagine this will be a mini Etihad. They have a fantastic luxury club set up

Reactions: JayH
The idea is to use the build up to the 2026 World Cup to drive interest in the club and get people more aware of NYCFC and a new SSS.
Ok that's kind of what I figured but wasn't sure I was missing something. Hopefully the tail winds of winning the cup help push us forward to get shovels in ground! Can totally be done by 2026 if we get going next year.

Reactions: Kjbert
What's with the need to have the stadium by '26 WC, I thought the stadiums for WC games had to be massive, not 25ish thousand seats. Or maybe I'm missing something?
The idea is to use the build up to the 2026 World Cup to drive interest in the club and get people more aware of NYCFC and a new SSS.
Yeah any WC game is going to be at MetLife

Have to assume if Manhattan was on the table, even if it takes longer than other options, the team would try to push for it. Would be incredible, and arguably the best-placed stadium in the world. Security nightmare, though.
I think when the Jets stadium deal fell apart that was the death knell for anything in Manhattan. If that couldn't get done ahead of an Olympics bid, nothing was going to get done. Other than taking a shot at Wien Stadium on Columbia University's campus we weren't too hopeful about anything there.

Brooklyn is tough. There's a potential spot in Red Hook but it's a squeeze. Other than that I don't see too much potential.

So realistically, it's got to be either the South Bronx or Willets Point. It looks like the team would still prefer the area around Yankee Stadium but they're fed up with all the delays, especially since they thought the deal was done last summer. And who can blame them.

What's with the need to have the stadium by '26 WC, I thought the stadiums for WC games had to be massive, not 25ish thousand seats. Or maybe I'm missing something?
Yeah any WC game is going to be at MetLife
Right. The minimum requirements are 40,000 seats. It goes up to 60,000 for the quarterfinals and 80,000 for the finals.

Reactions: Higgs1 and Kjbert
Y’all going to hate this. But if it’s WP, it makes most sense to be a shared stadium with the Jets.

1. They just announced they are the UK ambassadors for the NFL already sharing a stadium with my beloved Spurs.

2. They can get out of their MetLife deal in 2025. So the timing is kind of perfect. https://medium.com/@Ihernowitz/there-is-no-franchise-in-sports-like-the-new-york-jets-6bbf999529c0

3. They used to play at Shea, so it would be a return to their original fanbase.

I know you lose some atmosphere with a large NFL stadium, but it would play for large events like the WC. And if you can get that rolling pitch like at TH stadium, it would allow matches Sat/sun no problem.

Y’all going to hate this. But if it’s WP, it makes most sense to be a shared stadium with the Jets.

1. They just announced they are the UK ambassadors for the NFL already sharing a stadium with my beloved Spurs.

2. They can get out of their MetLife deal in 2025. So the timing is kind of perfect. https://medium.com/@Ihernowitz/there-is-no-franchise-in-sports-like-the-new-york-jets-6bbf999529c0

3. They used to play at Shea, so it would be a return to their original fanbase.

I know you lose some atmosphere with a large NFL stadium, but it would play for large events like the WC. And if you can get that rolling pitch like at TH stadium, it would allow matches Sat/sun no problem.
I would be OK with this, but I don't want football lines and I do want actual grass. Otherwise I'm fine with the concept.

I've posited this idea before....got ridiculed lol. This was before Atlanta kind of changed the thinking behind playing in a large stadium.
I'm all for it. I've always wanted MLS to aspire to be a top tier league. We can't sign big name in-prime players while playing in a 27k stadium. We also probably could not solely justify the outlandish cost of building an NFL sized stadium in the city without sharing the costs and driving up naming rights revenues.