Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
OK I mean listen ... these people have basically no track record. We can choose to believe it because it's news we want to hear, but I'd tread carefully on buying what these people say with full confidence. Maybe they're right, but ... especially Sanchez, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

when did RBNY inform the league that we couldn' tplay there anymore? kinda surprising they would do that. are they sad we win more there than they do?

Reactions: Kjbert
OK I mean listen ... these people have basically no track record. We can choose to believe it because it's news we want to hear, but I'd tread carefully on buying what these people say with full confidence. Maybe they're right, but ... especially Sanchez, I'm taking it with a grain of salt.
100%

when did RBNY inform the league that we couldn' tplay there anymore? kinda surprising they would do that. are they sad we win more there than they do?

Here's my guess: RBA was a favor during the pandemic due to all the scheduling issues it created, a favor they didn't feel like extending any longer and a favor that maybe the league has taken too much advantage of. NYCFC doesn't want to play there, Red Bulls don't want them there, no one likes the situation. So maybe the Red Bulls finally put their feet down and said no more? Maybe NYCFC even asked the Red Bulls to stop this arrangement considering the damage it's doing to the fanbase.

Here's my guess: RBA was a favor during the pandemic due to all the scheduling issues it created, a favor they didn't feel like extending any longer and a favor that maybe the league has taken too much advantage of. NYCFC doesn't want to play there, Red Bulls don't want them there, no one likes the situation. So maybe the Red Bulls finally put their feet down and said no more? Maybe NYCFC even asked the Red Bulls to stop this arrangement considering the damage it's doing to the fanbase.

but RBA isn't owned by RBNJ. it's owned by the city of harrison i thought?

i can see NYCFC wanting to not play at RBA anymore because they lose a lot of money every time there's a game there. that would be more plausible. but RBNJ saying we can't play there doesn't make sense to me if I am correct in recalling they are merely renting the stadium from the city.

So if you live NOT in the City, it looks near impossible to get to Icahn or HRY?

As I wrote yesterday about Sanchez, there's a track record and it's mixed, and that goes for Griffith as well. They both have been making these sporadic predictions based on insider knowledge going back to 2015 or so, and sometimes they have been right. That both Sanchez and Griffith have the same Icahn leak tells me there is probably something to it. But for for all we know the club is deliberately leaking to see how twitter, reddit, here and elsewhere react to a potential switch from RBA to Icahn, because despite being a literal stone's throw away from Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens, that island is a PITA to get to from anywhere. It's not really much more convenient than RBA. It's just not NJ and it has no RB stench.

Like M moogoo I'm skeptical of the idea that the Red Bulls are refusing to let NYCFC keep using RBA, both because as he points out they don't own it and I also suspect the Red Bulls have to do what the league demands on such matters.

Now, Griffith's prediction of a real stadium announcement by year end is a completely different matter. He's not claiming he has a source predicting that. He's just making a smoke means fire prediction, and there have been a lot of those over the last 7 years. Given SoupInNYC SoupInNYC's recent report I absolutely would not be surprised to get a HRY announcement by year end, but I'm also not expecting it.

Last edited:
This all seems really unlikely to me.

First off, Icahn is too small. I did an overlay some years ago and don't think you can fit a soccer field inside the track.

Second, it only seats 5,000. Yes, I suppose it's technically possible to double or triple that number but how much would that cost, and how many times would we actually use it?

Third, you have to drive there. Oh, and there's hardly any parking. There's no subway, and only the single somewhat infrequent bus from 125th and Lex. I've walked there from the Queens side a few times but that's a long ways from the Astoria Boulevard subway. 2.0 miles, 43 minutes. Actually slightly closer to 125th now that I've looked it up on the map, "only" 1.5 miles and 33 minutes. Haven't walked from that side though so can't personally testify to it. And even if the club runs shuttle buses, if you can fit, say, 50 people on a bus at a time that's gonna be a long-ass line on 125th Street to get 10,000 people over the bridge as they're waiting for those buses.

Lastly, none of this makes any sense anyways. RBNJ does not own the stadium. I can see the town not wanting to open it up for 1,000 people as they might end up losing money on a low-attendance match, but I can't see how RBNJ would have any say in the matter with the league, who in fact runs the teams and the players. Just doesn't hold water.

Hey, anything's possible, but this just doesn't sound likely. If you're going to propose something outlandish why not have it be us sharing the QFC stadium in Jamaica? Heck, we could pay to build it as a way of paying the rent. Supposed to be open next year and holds I think 9,500 maybe. That would make much more sense then expanding Icahn, which doesn't even sound likely regardless. And even if you could, it's a terrible location.

As I wrote yesterday about Sanchez, there's a track record and it's mixed, and that goes for Griffith as well. They both have been making these sporadic predictions based on insider knowledge going back to 2015 or so, and sometimes they have been right. That both Sanchez and Griffith have the same Icahn leak tells me there is probably something to it. But for for all we know the club is deliberately leaking to see how twitter, reddit, here and elsewhere react to a potential switch from RBA to Icahn, because despite being a literal stone's throw away from Manhattan, the Bronx and Queens, that island is a PITA to get to from anywhere. It's not really much more convenient than RBA. It's just not NJ and it has no RB stench.

Like M moogoo I'm skeptical of the idea that the Red Bulls are refusing to let NYCFC keep using RBA, both because as he points out they don't own it and I also suspect the Red Bulls have to do what the league demands on such matters.

On this, FWIW, I do believe in Griffith’s info on this one. He actually told me prior to Sanchez’s tweet and then his own tweet that Red Bulls told MLS that NYCFC couldn’t play any more games there and NYCFC was ok with it. He made no mention of a temp stadium or anything, just thought it was interesting context regarding perhaps an announcement could be made soon.

Regarding Red Bulls not owning the stadium, I hear what you guys are saying, but could they have some kind of exclusivity rights deal with the stadium owners that would allow them to “kick NYCFC” out? I really dont know if that’s even a thing, but something I just thought of being a possibility

On this, FWIW, I do believe in Griffith’s info on this one. He actually told me prior to Sanchez’s tweet and then his own tweet that Red Bulls told MLS that NYCFC couldn’t play any more games there and NYCFC was ok with it. He made no mention of a temp stadium or anything, just thought it was interesting context regarding perhaps an announcement could be made soon.

Regarding Red Bulls not owning the stadium, I hear what you guys are saying, but could they have some kind of exclusivity rights deal with the stadium owners that would allow them to “kick NYCFC” out? I really dont know if that’s even a thing, but something I just thought of being a possibility
Interesting. I'm not shocked, and I was skeptical but wouldn't have ruled it out. The motivations on the RB side seem odd, but people have their reasons that sometimes make sense to them but not outsiders.

As for your twitter thread, this was my favorite part:

1) I've now had stadium-related articles come out in March, June, July, October, and December and each time there's a group of folks that think it's season ticket renewal time so info is being leaked to encourage sales. Please pick a month.
I think I'm pretty cynical, but I also don't respect thoughtless and reflexive cynicism, so this amused me.

Last edited:
As for your twitter thread, this was my favorite part:

1) I've now had stadium-related articles come out in March, June, July, October, and December and each time there's a group of folks that think it's season ticket renewal time so info is being leaked to encourage sales. Please pick a month.
I think I'm pretty cynical, but I also don't respect thoughtless and reflexive cynicism, so this amused me.
Yeah, I meant to include in that that I do expect skepticism and I completely understand that many people would read the article and a) not get excited or even b) not believe it, but to chalk it up to season ticket renewal efforts is just getting old, haha.

ask the community that actually owns their stadium, not the Red Bulls. Red Bulls don’t have 100% priority on their stadium *cough graduation cough*

Reactions: SoupInNYC