Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I’m usually pretty reserved on here and don’t give strong opinions, but I really don’t think Icahn is that big of a deal as a temporary home. I understand that it’s going to suck for people from west Hester or LI, but is it enough reason to just stop following the club? Is it really going to stop anyone from eventually becoming a fan? I don’t think so at all. In 4-5 years if we have our shiny new stadium all will be forgotten and the club will continue to grow and expand. It will be the crown jewel of MLS.

In a temporary home we will have more favorable scheduling since we won’t be tenants anymore. I’m sure the city/club will have more busses or shuttles available to get us to Icahn as well. Is all of this ideal? No, it’s definitely inconvenient, but is it going to derail the clubs future? Absolutely not. Everyone is going to have an opinion on it based on where they live, but to me it will be more positive for the club if it’s done correctly.

Maybe Randall’s island is for the playoffs if the Yanks and Mets both keep doing well.

I’m just lolling at the thought of Twitter and Reddit mls exploding over a potential MLS cup in a makeshift temporary stadium on a high school track site.
And this is why I believe in my conspiracy that MLS/PRO won't let us host home playoff matches...let alone an MLS Cup.

Reactions: Kjbert
The biggest gripe most people will have is being farther from the pitch, but again, it’s temporary. I am ok with that.
Hardly anybody's further from the pitch than I am in the back of 224. A few years ago I did an overlay of where my seat is compared to RBNJ and I'm outside the stadium. Ain't nobody allowed to complain, case closed LOL

Have been going back and forth on this in some other chats, but I've enjoyed the discussion surrounding the Willets Point site and the HRY site. I feel like public transportation will be a thorn for the HRY site, although we are all probably spoiled by the YS/Citi options. On the contrary, HRY feels like it can still be the focal point of that waterfront, and will have views of some NYC landmarks. Even with the hoops CFG has to jump through, I get the sense that their vision of an NYC stadium would be right in the thick of the city, which HRY suffices. Not terribly familiar with the Willets Point surrounding area, but is there really anything (gameday useful) nearby other than parking lots, other stadiums and parkland, assuming the chop shops are all gone?

Everyone keeps talking about the traffic by RFK bridge (which goes over randal island)... but I frequently take that path to yankee stadium (from long island!) and it's never that much more trafficky than the deegan and bruckner.

Other than the parking situation which I have to think they won't have a problem with (it's quite a lot of spaces, and even for RB games we don't use this much space) or they'll think of a way to solve, I think it's not that different from going to Yankee Stadium. It will on the other hand be a much better view than YS.

Attachments

• 1655774637393.png
    1655774637393.png
    871.6 KB · Views: 19
Have been going back and forth on this in some other chats, but I've enjoyed the discussion surrounding the Willets Point site and the HRY site. I feel like public transportation will be a thorn for the HRY site, although we are all probably spoiled by the YS/Citi options. On the contrary, HRY feels like it can still be the focal point of that waterfront, and will have views of some NYC landmarks. Even with the hoops CFG has to jump through, I get the sense that their vision of an NYC stadium would be right in the thick of the city, which HRY suffices. Not terribly familiar with the Willets Point surrounding area, but is there really anything (gameday useful) nearby other than parking lots, other stadiums and parkland, assuming the chop shops are all gone?
The Willets Point plan seems to be part of a larger-scale Willets Point redevelopment which would create a community there as well as what I have to assume would be a lot more gameday benefits such as a park and some shopping areas near.

I remember reading from SKC supporter's years ago talking about their journey to a minor league ballpark for a couple years while their stadium was being built.
They all agreed that it was so important for the culture of their club. After years in cavernous Arrowhead stadium, playing in an intimate little venue for a couple years was a critical refresh that was needed during the transition.

I'm all for a less than ideal temp stadium so long as we have a stadium in progress and scheduling flexibility. My pipe dream has been to get an agreement to build a stadium on the chop shop land by Citi Field, while building a temporary venue in the nearby parking lots during remediation and construction.

Everyone keeps talking about the traffic by RFK bridge (which goes over randal island)... but I frequently take that path to yankee stadium (from long island!) and it's never that much more trafficky than the deegan and bruckner.

Other than the parking situation which I have to think they won't have a problem with (it's quite a lot of spaces, and even for RB games we don't use this much space) or they'll think of a way to solve, I think it's not that different from going to Yankee Stadium. It will on the other hand be a much better view than YS.
There's no subway. That's almost end of story right there.

Realistically, how many cars go to Yankee Stadium for a match? Is it more than hundreds? Each subway train after a match can easily take a thousand people out of the area. That's way too many buses to wait in line for. Unless CFG converts the Triboro Bridge walkways to moving sidewalks to both the 125th and Lex 4/5/6 stop and to Astoria Boulevard on the N/W then there's really not much to discuss here. You just can't get 5 or 10,000 people onto an island using buses in any kind of reasonable timeframe unless you have a hundred of them.

Would be genuinely interested in knowing how many people drive to and park at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis, but unless that's a surprisingly large number any location without a subway is just not really going to work.

(Just for fun I think I'm going to count the cars in the Citi Field lots next time we're there. That's one problem with parking at Yankee Stadium, it's basically invisible. At Citi Field you can see the whole lot from the 3rd base side of the stadium, and from above which is handy for car counting.

<checks schedule>
OK hold that thought as we're not back at Citi until September 7.

There's no subway. That's almost end of story right there.

Realistically, how many cars go to Yankee Stadium for a match? Is it more than hundreds? Each subway train after a match can easily take a thousand people out of the area. That's way too many buses to wait in line for. Unless CFG converts the Triboro Bridge walkways to moving sidewalks to both the 125th and Lex 4/5/6 stop and to Astoria Boulevard on the N/W then there's really not much to discuss here. You just can't get 5 or 10,000 people onto an island using buses in any kind of reasonable timeframe unless you have a hundred of them.

Would be genuinely interested in knowing how many people drive to and park at Yankee Stadium on a regular basis, but unless that's a surprisingly large number any location without a subway is just not really going to work.

(Just for fun I think I'm going to count the cars in the Citi Field lots next time we're there. That's one problem with parking at Yankee Stadium, it's basically invisible. At Citi Field you can see the whole lot from the 3rd base side of the stadium, and from above which is handy for car counting.

<checks schedule>
OK hold that thought as we're not back at Citi until September 7.
There is a ferry dock a stone's throw from the stadium, I'd be interested to see if/how they'll work with that.

I'm sure they have been and are thinking about a solution here. Maybe they will also develop a multifloor parking lot as well as part of the deal?

Hardly anybody's further from the pitch than I am in the back of 224. A few years ago I did an overlay of where my seat is compared to RBNJ and I'm outside the stadium. Ain't nobody allowed to complain, case closed LOL
Found it

myseat-ys-rba.png

Also, found Icahn as well

icahnfieldfit.png

There is a ferry dock a stone's throw from the stadium, I'd be interested to see if/how they'll work with that.

I'm sure they have been and are thinking about a solution here. Maybe they will also develop a multifloor parking lot as well as part of the deal?
Well that's what I'm hoping for as I happen to live near a ferry stop. But same logistics questions: how many people could reasonably get there on ferries? Each ferry has a capacity of 150 or so though, so not all that many.

As to parking, building a garage is fine but you still have to get all those cars from the Bruckner through the neighborhood to the stadium. That's doable but it's also not a small proposition.

Gov ball gets way more than 15k over there every year. Sure it’s gonna be a bit of a journey but it’s better from most of the city than Belson. And way way better than the fackackta QFC location. Even with a walk/bus/Citi bike.

Gov ball gets way more than 15k over there every year. Sure it’s gonna be a bit of a journey but it’s better from most of the city than Belson. And way way better than the fackackta QFC location. Even with a walk/bus/Citi bike.
True, but do you want to wait through Gov Ball-sized lines? And I was at the NYCFC2 match two days ago. Was only 100 people or so. Even full up it's just over 2,000 max for an Open Cup match. Not e even the same order of magnitude. And yeah, it's a subway and a bus, but usually the subway's an express, just a few stops, and the bus isn't far and runs fairly often. So not near as bad as it sounds.

True, but do you want to wait through Gov Ball-sized lines? And I was at the NYCFC2 match two days ago. Was only 100 people or so. Even full up it's just over 2,000 max for an Open Cup match. Not e even the same order of magnitude. And yeah, it's a subway and a bus, but usually the subway's an express, just a few stops, and the bus isn't far and runs fairly often. So not near as bad as it sounds.
Um, Gov Ball draws 40-50k per day and honestly last time I went I got in there there faster than I got into YS or RBA last time I went to a fully attended match at either without Clear.

So, yes. Fine with me. My point is that the travel (even driving) to Randall’s is definitely equal or better than RBA and probably a wash with the other places. Not any harder than Citi field or even YS driving from Park Slope (there are
actually three good car egresses from Randall's vs YS’s Two). Though I’d probably ride my bike from the 4 or 6 train.

And all of this is assuming that CFG doesn’t make special arrangements. A 15-20k built-out temporary Icahn with grass is probably the best temporary option available in the 5 Boros until we get a real stadium in the SB or Willets.

With this option I might even re-up my second ST.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shwafta
Um, Gov Ball draws 40-50k per day and honestly last time I went I got in there there faster than I got into YS or RBA last time I went to a fully attended match at either without Clear.

So, yes. Fine with me. My point is that the travel (even driving) to Randall’s is definitely equal or better than RBA and probably a wash with the other places. Not any harder than Citi field or even YS driving from Park Slope (there are
actually three good car egresses from Randall's vs YS’s Two). Though I’d probably ride my bike from the 4 or 6 train.

And all of this is assuming that CFG doesn’t make special arrangements. A 15-20k built-out temporary Icahn with grass is probably the best temporary option available in the 5 Boros until we get a real stadium in the SB or Willets.

With this option I might even re-up my second ST.
PS from my place to Belson is 1:24 via subway and foot. Icahn is 1:22. RBA Is 1:25.

Reactions: Shwafta
Having to park at Yankee Stadium and take a shuttle to a new stadium would probably double a 20+ minute trip for me.
Then again, starting in Fall 2023 I won’t have anyone to go to games with anyway.
Is there a group of empty nesters that would take me in?