Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Not terribly familiar with the Willets Point surrounding area, but is there really anything (gameday useful) nearby other than parking lots, other stadiums and parkland, assuming the chop shops are all gone?
Maybe this is further than you mean, but a short walk takes you to one of the least appreciated food meccas of the city - Flushing. Just made a trip there last night for noodles, dim sum and ugly donuts. I'd gladly park in Flushing on game day. Grab food there and walk over to the match.

Found some interesting pictures from the Wikipedia page for the stadium. Turns out its predecessor was also the home of the NY Cosmos for two seasons, including Pele's first game in 1975. That stadium seated 22,000.

1920px-Icahn_Stadium_2008_jeh.jpg

Icahnstadium1.JPG

Lol, I see what you did there.

I'm in lower Westchester. I live right next to the Bronx River Parkway so I can take that all the way down to 278 and then go over the bridge to Randall's Island. Without traffic it would be just about 30 minutes. Pretty dang easy for me, but obviously it could be more of a hassle for those not in as convenient of a location. Also, Randall's Island doesn't have much parking as it is though I obviously don't know if it's possible for them to add more if needed. Of course I would prefer to take public transit over driving (I currently take Metro-North to Yankee Stadium), but if it is only temporary for a season or two (or three or four) then it's not too bad.

Sounds like you're not far from me in Bronxville. It's not a bad drive from there, assuming traffic isn't too snarled. I've been to Randall's Island a few times for soccer matches - my son's travel teams have played there. It's a huge space with lots of fields. Besides the highways, there is also an elevated rail line that rumbles along. The roads are windy and a bit confusing, but it should be easy to give people directions on match day. I remember parking being difficult, but that was on a different part of the island from Icahn. There are also pedestrian bridges to Randall's Island from Harlem, although the walk to them from public transit is probably not short.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest, if Icahn is the temporary answer, I really don't think CFG is going to forget that fans have to get to the stadium somehow.

Exactly. If this site is a real thing, then CFG have a plan, and it's obviously been worked out with the City. As people have pointed out, the other large events there suggest it's easier than we think to get people in numbers to the island, and that's before thinking about things like supplemental buses and ferries.

I think we may be discounting the possibility that we would be taking the space to the right of Icahn, where the current field is. There is more room on that side for temporary stands.

ouch, is MLS allowing that? im not sure the grass around the field is evenly flat to build stands around it.

Reactions: Kjbert
ouch, is MLS allowing that? im not sure the grass around the field is evenly flat to build stands around it.

if this is something they are planning to do long term until we have a stadium built (and I'm hoping this announcement will be tacked onto a much bigger announcement of a stadium deal), then they'll spend the money and redo the surface, add new sod, etc. they are gonna put in new temporary stands, they will redo the surface so it's professional quality.

if this is something they are planning to do long term until we have a stadium built (and I'm hoping this announcement will be tacked onto a much bigger announcement of a stadium deal), then they'll spend the money and redo the surface, add new sod, etc. they are gonna put in new temporary stands, they will redo the surface so it's professional quality.

this would be similar to Queensboro. York College has a "stadium" area for their sporting events but the stadium they trying to build is next to it in an empty space. Gotham Gator Gotham Gator may be on to something.

Maybe this is further than you mean, but a short walk takes you to one of the least appreciated food meccas of the city - Flushing. Just made a trip there last night for noodles, dim sum and ugly donuts. I'd gladly park in Flushing on game day. Grab food there and walk over to the match.
One of my favorite places to go. I would say it's a bit far, but would be a must if the stadium ends up in WP during non-scorching months

few thoughts.... imagine how bad it will be for a march night game on the water there...

second can everyone please contact the club and make sure its armark and not legends for the new stadium... Food and service at city was Aplus for the mets game yesterday.

Gonna go ahead and guess there's no decent way for me to get there from Connecticut ?
If you drive, it shouldn't be too awful (similar to a LI commute). If you take public transport, it might be a ride on the metro north and then a walk or shuttle if they have. We'll have to first see what they are offering in terms of transport, of course

If you drive, it shouldn't be too awful (similar to a LI commute). If you take public transport, it might be a ride on the metro north and then a walk or shuttle if they have. We'll have to first see what they are offering in terms of transport, of course

To Yankee Stadium I take metro North and switch at Harlem .

Reactions: Kjbert
few thoughts.... imagine how bad it will be for a march night game on the water there...

second can everyone please contact the club and make sure its armark and not legends for the new stadium... Food and service at city was Aplus for the mets game yesterday.
Interesting. I was there yesterday too. So much better from a food perspective - although lines and service times were equally poor.

What I also like better about Citi Field is that there are open plazas on all the different levels. The food vendors are around the outside of them. With the open space, lack of a roof and storefront appearance, you don't even feel like you're in a ballpark.

I think we may be discounting the possibility that we would be taking the space to the right of Icahn, where the current field is. There is more room on that side for temporary stands.
I've been wondering about that myself. I think there's a stand of trees just off the picture to the right separating Field No. 10 from the Golf Center, so I don't know if there's enough room for a full grandstand like on Icahn itself. But maybe.

There's a little room off the end of the pitch, too. It might be possible to build some kind of L-shaped seating.