Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I'm still baffled that there's no direct train line to either JFK or LaGuardia.
This is why.

robert-moses-a-1280.jpg

This i did not know. I meant LIRR actually but subway too would make sense lol
Well kinda. You still need to change to a bus and even the MTA doesn’t call it an option. I don’t really consider that a direct link. From most parts of the city it’s way faster to take LIRR or E Train to Jamaica and hop the air train. The upside of the air train tk willets would have been minimal neighborhood disruption and a shorter route for the air train than, say, going to Jackson Heights or Astoria.

The entire situation is ridiculous, though.

Reactions: Shwafta
You can take the A train to jfk. But it’s a shlep.
I took the A train to the AirTrain for the Nashville match. During rush hour, it's probably the most convenient (economically responsible) way of getting to JFK (depending where you're starting from).

Reactions: Kjbert
I took the A train to the AirTrain for the Nashville match. During rush hour, it's probably the most convenient (economically responsible) way of getting to JFK (depending where you're starting from).
I've done both the A and the E to JFK and the 7 to the bus to LGA, both are super easy. The LGA trip took me like 30 minutes from grand central, it was crazy efficient during rush hour.

Well kinda. You still need to change to a bus and even the MTA doesn’t call it an option. I don’t really consider that a direct link. From most parts of the city it’s way faster to take LIRR or E Train to Jamaica and hop the air train. The upside of the air train tk willets would have been minimal neighborhood disruption and a shorter route for the air train than, say, going to Jackson Heights or Astoria.

The entire situation is ridiculous, though.
I haven't been to many place tbh but the places I HAVE been:

- Tel Aviv: Train directly in the airport, you can get most places via a few transfers at least...
- London: underground OR train both take you. Especially the new Elizabeth line
- Amsterdam: lots of train
- Japan (haven't been yet but planning): trains straight to the airport
- New York: F* you, you car-less pleb (fine, I'll give the air train a pass)
Hey, at least Newark is kinda sorta manageable if you do the transfers correctly

This is why.

robert-moses-a-1280.jpg
The man died 40 years ago and it's been roughly 50 years since he held real power. It's fair to still blame him for the bad things he did like unnecessary destruction of neighborhoods, but it's rather past the time to blame him for things that have not been built.
Yes, there's some path dependency in transportation projects and systems, but at this point if we think we need to build something we should just build it.
But we don't, and blaming him is a copout by all of us.
The fact is it's been more than a century since New York could efficiently manage large public works projects. Moses was given power precisely because the people in charge (1) couldn't get things done, and/or (2) wanted things done without accountability. So Moses did almost anything he wanted from the 1920s to early 1960s, when he finally started getting meaningful pushback. After that, local, state, and federal rules were imposed that made it even harder and more expensive to build and effectively ensured there would never be anyone else like him who could push things to completion, for better and worse.

Blaming him for the lack of rail access to our airports is an admission that there was exactly one person in the last century who got things done, and he didn't do that, and it's unreasonable to expect anyone else ever would do it.

Last edited:
The man died 40 years ago and it's been roughly 50 years since he held real power. It's fair to still blame him for the bad things he did like unnecessary destruction of neighborhoods, but it's rather past the time to blame him for things that have not been built.
Yes, there's some path dependency in transportation projects and systems, but at this point if we think we need to build something we should just build it.
But we don't, and blaming him is a copout.
The fact is it's been more than a century since New York could efficiently manage large public works projects. Moses was given power precisely because the people in charge (1) couldn't get things done, and/or (2) wanted things done without accountability. So Moses did almost anything he wanted from the 1920s to early 1960s, when he finally started getting meaningful pushback. After that, local, state, and federal rules were imposed that made it even harder and more expensive to build and effectively ensured there would never be anyone else like him who could push things to completion, for better and worse.

Blaming him for the lack of rail access to our airports is an admission that there was exactly one person in the last century who got things done, and he didn't do that, and it's unreasonable to expect anyone else ever would do it.
agreed!

and fun fact: There's a Statue of Robert Moses in Babylon, Long Island - Untapped New York

But we don't, and blaming him is a copout by all of us.

I agree with much of this. Certainly the cost and time to build anything new in the City - and certainly anything of substance - is absurd, as are the vetoes that nearly every minor politician seems to hold over every project.

However, Moses not only refused to run train lines to JFK while he built the Van Wyck, he also refused to include a right of way that could be used for a train line in the future. The engineers were all well aware of the fact that the Van Wyck could not hope to carry enough traffic to support Idyewild (as it was then called), and that was with a c.1950 understanding of air travel. One engineer on the team pushed hard for that right of way, and Moses nearly fired him.

As a result, there isn't any easy place to put the train. The Air Train was built over a part of the Van Wyck, but I think running those towers all the way to Manhattan was considered far too expensive. I don't know about tunneling, but I assume that's either more expensive or not possible as one gets close to the Rockaways.

So, that's why I think Moses is still to blame. His ego not only prevented a train at the time; it prevented any attempt from being easy.

giphy.gif

HRB's interview with Brad Sims:

NYCFC will build a Cathedral of Soccer, will be the undisputed flagship team of MLS - Hudson River Blue

On building a stadium that will be a Cathedral of Soccer:

I think the stadium we build in New York City, within the Five Boroughs of New York City in Queens, is going to be a destination spot for the biggest clubs in over the world. When they come to the US they want to play in New York, and they want to play in a proper stadium. They can play in an NFL stadium, or in a baseball stadium, but if they want to play in a proper stadium, if you’re Barcelona, you’re Madrid, you’re Juventus, you’re Bayern, you’re Man City, and you want to play in a real soccer stadium in New York City, you’re going to want to play in our stadium. US Men’s National Team, US Women’s National Team, friendlies, competitive games, World Cup Qualifying, all of those kinds of games, we think we’re going to be the biggest and most attractive market.

That helps build New York City into one of the soccer capitals of the world by having a Cathedral of Soccer in the Five Boroughs.

Also they want to build a new bigger training campus

On building a new training campus for NYCFC, a stadium for NYCFC II, and launching a women’s team:

But that’s not the only building we want to do, the only growing we want to do as a club. We talk about how we haven’t had a home for our first team, but we also have a second team that started to play last year in MLS NEXT Pro and we feel like we have a temporary home at St John’s – we have great partners at St John’s, we love the relationship we have there. There’s also the current home of our Academy.

We endeavor to have a campus where you can have a First Team, a Second Team, and an Academy all under the same roof. I won’t put a timeline on it because first and foremost is the stadium approval and moving forward with that, but something I think we need to elevate the club to the next level is having the right facilities from a player development standpoint.

We have a great facility in Orangeburg now for our Academy that was built in 2018, but it was built for one team. There’s one locker room, there are one-and-one-half pitches, everything there’s one of because it’s built for one team. We really need a space to be built for our First Team, Second Team, and all of our Academy teams together.

We also need to figure out what the long-term plan is for NYCFC II to play. I want them to be a commercially viable, stand-alone, marketable entity with a name that’s not NYCFC II, that is its own brand, which means playing somewhere in a facility that is appropriate for that level of play, 2,500 to 7,000 seats depending on that market, somewhere nearby but probably not in Queens if we have our First Team in Queens.

I would think that new campus would go in yonkers or something like that

HRB's interview with Brad Sims:

NYCFC will build a Cathedral of Soccer, will be the undisputed flagship team of MLS - Hudson River Blue

On building a stadium that will be a Cathedral of Soccer:

I think the stadium we build in New York City, within the Five Boroughs of New York City in Queens, is going to be a destination spot for the biggest clubs in over the world. When they come to the US they want to play in New York, and they want to play in a proper stadium. They can play in an NFL stadium, or in a baseball stadium, but if they want to play in a proper stadium, if you’re Barcelona, you’re Madrid, you’re Juventus, you’re Bayern, you’re Man City, and you want to play in a real soccer stadium in New York City, you’re going to want to play in our stadium. US Men’s National Team, US Women’s National Team, friendlies, competitive games, World Cup Qualifying, all of those kinds of games, we think we’re going to be the biggest and most attractive market.

That helps build New York City into one of the soccer capitals of the world by having a Cathedral of Soccer in the Five Boroughs.

Also they want to build a new bigger training campus

On building a new training campus for NYCFC, a stadium for NYCFC II, and launching a women’s team:

But that’s not the only building we want to do, the only growing we want to do as a club. We talk about how we haven’t had a home for our first team, but we also have a second team that started to play last year in MLS NEXT Pro and we feel like we have a temporary home at St John’s – we have great partners at St John’s, we love the relationship we have there. There’s also the current home of our Academy.

We endeavor to have a campus where you can have a First Team, a Second Team, and an Academy all under the same roof. I won’t put a timeline on it because first and foremost is the stadium approval and moving forward with that, but something I think we need to elevate the club to the next level is having the right facilities from a player development standpoint.

We have a great facility in Orangeburg now for our Academy that was built in 2018, but it was built for one team. There’s one locker room, there are one-and-one-half pitches, everything there’s one of because it’s built for one team. We really need a space to be built for our First Team, Second Team, and all of our Academy teams together.

We also need to figure out what the long-term plan is for NYCFC II to play. I want them to be a commercially viable, stand-alone, marketable entity with a name that’s not NYCFC II, that is its own brand, which means playing somewhere in a facility that is appropriate for that level of play, 2,500 to 7,000 seats depending on that market, somewhere nearby but probably not in Queens if we have our First Team in Queens.

I would think that new campus would go in yonkers or something like that
I have a feeling it would be somewhere on Long Island maybe at the queens Nassau border would make more sense instead of making the team go north of the city

I don't know why, but I read this and thought "they're gonna buy the Cosmos from Rocco".

I know it's not happening, but it's cool they have aspirations to make the II more than a single A affiliate.

Reactions: Kjbert and 413Blue
I don't know why, but I read this and thought "they're gonna buy the Cosmos from Rocco".

I know it's not happening, but it's cool they have aspirations to make the II more than a single A affiliate.
what conftuses me about this is- doesn't MLS mandate that the 2 teams have to have the same name as the first team? Or did i mis-hear that?