Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
As BxLio91 said, and this has been pointed out somewhere earlier in the 111 pages of this thread, parkland was swapped for parkland so that the new Yankee Stadium could be built.

The city gave the Yankees more than 20 acres of prime parkland on which to build the team’s $1.3 billion new home. As part of the deal, the city built eight new parks and redeveloped several city-owned parking lots to make up for the lost parkland.
(Contaminated parkland it turns out)
I know this as I am a Yankees fan and followed the construction of NYS fairly closely. I'm just saying that parkland hasn't really been utilized as many thought it would. They should just build on it there's more parks around the area. The soccer field/running track on top of the parking lot gets better use than the baseball fields where Yankee Stadium once stood.

I know this as I am a Yankees fan and followed the construction of NYS fairly closely. I'm just saying that parkland hasn't really been utilized as many thought it would. They should just build on it there's more parks around the area. The soccer field/running track on top of the parking lot gets better use than the baseball fields where Yankee Stadium once stood.
I agree with you. There is so much underutilized park space in NYC that could be used for many things that the city needs, not just NYCFC's stadium. Unfortunately there is a perception that park space is sacred and untouchable.

I agree with you. There is so much underutilized park space in NYC that could be used for many things that the city needs, not just NYCFC's stadium. Unfortunately there is a perception that park space is sacred and untouchable.

Where is this underutilized parkland? I've been trying to find good fields for pickup soccer for the past few weeks and everywhere seems crowded to me. (To be fair, I've generally be checking Manhattan and dt Brooklyn parks.)

Reactions: Kjbert
Where is this underutilized parkland? I've been trying to find good fields for pickup soccer for the past few weeks and everywhere seems crowded to me. (To be fair, I've generally be checking Manhattan and dt Brooklyn parks.)
Right across Yankee Stadium. And good luck, cause there are a few teams which hold permits to "play" baseball during the summer. Which is why I think it's stupid to keep those fields. How does it benefit the community as a whole when there are people that have permits and once they come on field the community has to get off the field.

I live by the Parade Ground in Brooklyn. Most of the time there's nobody at those fields. Very easy to get a pickup game going aside from weekends in the summer when youth leagues have everything reserved via permit.

Right across Yankee Stadium. And good luck, cause there are a few teams which hold permits to "play" baseball during the summer. Which is why I think it's stupid to keep those fields. How does it benefit the community as a whole when there are people that have permits and once they come on field the community has to get off the field.

How is it underutilized then? Sounds like it has tenants.

Reactions: Kjbert
I live by the Parade Ground in Brooklyn. Most of the time there's nobody at those fields. Very easy to get a pickup game going aside from weekends in the summer when youth leagues have everything reserved via permit.

Well, yeah, I'm also looking to use it during the summer, and I don't typically take off work to start a pickup soccer game.

Idk, maybe it's because I didn't grow up in NYC, but it sounds like I have a different definition of "underutilized."

Reactions: thepriceiswrongbob
Well, yeah, I'm also looking to use it during the summer, and I don't typically take off work to start a pickup soccer game.

Idk, maybe it's because I didn't grow up in NYC, but it sounds like I have a different definition of "underutilized."
Well, put it this way. NYCFC has 17 home games a year. That's probably the same number of days with the right conditions (weekend or holiday with good weather) where parks in NYC come anywhere close to fully utilized.

How is it underutilized then? Sounds like it has tenants.
It's supposed to be for the community but it's not. You can't just go in there and play a game of baseball with friends. People don't like going cause they know if a team with a permit from the city goes they have to get off the field. It was supposed to be for everyone in the community and supposed to bring more people to the fields to play baseball but instead it drives people away. Making it underutilized. I would much rather have a soccer stadium in that area.

It's supposed to be for the community but it's not. You can't just go in there and play a game of baseball with friends. People don't like going cause they know if a team with a permit from the city goes they have to get off the field. It was supposed to be for everyone in the community and supposed to bring more people to the fields to play baseball but instead it drives people away. Making it underutilized. I would much rather have a soccer stadium in that area.

You sound like Yogi Berra. "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded."

You sound like Yogi Berra. "Nobody goes there, it's too crowded."
Most of the people in the community that live there which the park was supposed to be for is kids. No kid can go to apply for a permit so whats the point of the park if its barely used. Just build a soccer specific stadium which will create temporary construction jobs which are needed and then some permanent jobs when it opens. Hell who knows we might even host some friendly's here in the inner city and create a bigger soccer buzz in NYC. Thus generating more money in NYC, at the end of the day isn't that what it's all about anyway.

Most of the people in the community that live there which the park was supposed to be for is kids. No kid can go to apply for a permit so whats the point of the park if its barely used.

You keep saying "barely used" and "it's always reserved by permit." It can't be both.

I think what you are trying to say is it's barely used by local residents, because there's always league play going on. But can't the local residents just sign up for league play? The point of having organized leagues and permits is to efficiently allocate park availability.

You keep saying "barely used" and "it's always reserved by permit." It can't be both.

I think what you are trying to say is it's barely used by local residents, because there's always league play going on. But can't the local residents just sign up for league play? The point of having organized leagues and permits is to efficiently allocate park availability.
This a Bronx community we're talking about where a lot of families live in low income apartments and are on welfare. They can barely afford to feed themselves and make rent. What makes you think they can afford the sign up/league fees?

This a Bronx community we're talking about where a lot of families live in low income apartments and are on welfare. They can barely afford to feed themselves and make rent. What makes you think they can afford the sign up/league fees?
So might as well take away the parks and put up a stadium they can't afford to go to.

Reactions: sbrylski
It's a crazy idea but the lease for MSG ends in a couple of years. One of the possible new sites is next door, US Post Office. The new MSG would be there so there is a plot of land that would be empty. So would a NYC FC stadium on top of a new Penn Station make any sense?

It's a crazy idea but the lease for MSG ends in a couple of years. One of the possible new sites is next door, US Post Office. The new MSG would be there so there is a plot of land that would be empty. So would a NYC FC stadium on top of a new Penn Station make any sense?

Imagine a stadium in midtown manhattan above Penn? That would be insane. It would have to be multi-use. But an open air stadium and closed arena with around 30k capacity each...it would be hard to find a negative.

i thought they were moving because "massive renovations" were going to occur in Penn station. and i thought the lease would end for a few more years not two.

Still, sounds like what you would want is more parks, not less, if you want the local community to have more access.

Regardless, those parks aren't going anywhere, they're locked in. It's a non-starter.

Reactions: FootyLovin