Suit Night Friday Night September 23rd v Chicago Fire

And once you know the rules, you can break em a little bit. Wore a suit jacket and pants with a t-shirt and espadrilles to the office and was the best dressed chap in the place. Well, I'm the only fellow in the place, but you get my drift.
How very Miami Vice.
Was gonna say that we have Don Johnson on the forums but u beat me too it!! I loved that look too!! Rocked it in the 80's if I don't say so myself....
:sunglasses::sunglasses:

Last edited:
And once you know the rules, you can break em a little bit. Wore a suit jacket and pants with a t-shirt and espadrilles to the office and was the best dressed chap in the place. Well, I'm the only fellow in the place, but you get my drift.
This is true. But I submit 90% of the people who think that applies to them are dead wrong. They are the sort who mistake fashion for style.

Reactions: Danton
Grey suit. Black shoes.

Blue suit. Brown shoes.

This is how I had learned it.

Back when I had more disposable income, I made a couple of trips to a personal shopper at Saks. He made it clear that brown is perfectly acceptable for grey or black, though not required; the same is not true in reverse - black does not work with blue or brown. Now, this was 15 years ago or so, but I don't think things have changed that much. I personally prefer black shoes with lighter greys, and brown shoes with blacks.

On the Allen-Edmonds tip, I have to give a shout-out to my Alden shell cordovan wingtip boots, which are my favorite shoes that I own.
I'm impressed.

This is how I had learned it.

Back when I had more disposable income, I made a couple of trips to a personal shopper at Saks. He made it clear that brown is perfectly acceptable for grey or black, though not required; the same is not true in reverse - black does not work with blue or brown. Now, this was 15 years ago or so, but I don't think things have changed that much. I personally prefer black shoes with lighter greys, and brown shoes with blacks.
So maybe there's an argument to just go burgundy/cordovan and brown? See, the NO BLACK SHOES rule is both stylish and pragmatic.

I actually used to wear black shoes with gray suits a fair amount, until I got into consulting. If I were going to be somewhere 4 days, I didn't want to take 3 pairs of shoes. Ergo, I resurrected the burgundy shoe. One pair burgundy, one pair brown covers everything for the week.

And yes, 2 pairs are necessary. Back to back all-day wears of good shoes is a no-no if you want to keep them in good nick.

Reactions: Schwallacus
I have a strange feeling that we're going to be wearing the Hypokits for this one...