Team Name/Nickname

in NYCFC's case, I say stick with FC . . . because it's easy to confuse NYCSC with New York Stock Exchange or even New York Sport Clubs
But why are we using FC? Why "Football" all of the sudden? It's obviously because the parent club is in England and they call it that. I'm not going to say "this is America", but isn't it just universally recognized/acceptable that you use the language and vocabulary of the place you are? We've historically called it soccer here. It's not a value judgment, it's just our history and our culture of the sport. Millions of people grow up playing soccer, not football. It's the United State Soccer Federation. The league our team plays in is named Major League SOCCER.

If it was only the word, I wouldn't mind it. But it's what it stands for. It's this English parent team dictating their terms, and their marketing, and basically telling all of us that... hey, we know you call it soccer, but you're wrong.... It's them disrespecting the history of the sport in our country. And that's B.S. And more so they are just trying to make NYCFC as identical to Man City as possible, which is garbage.

And I love this team. The players are great, the fan family is great. But the organization has thus far disgusted me with the way they are trying to make us clones of Man City. With the "City", with the "Football", with the "Cityzens", with those damn Man City home jerseys. And I want to mention that I do not have anything against Man City or Man City supports or the organization for what they do with that team, so I don't mean this against Man City or supporters, but rather how CFG and ownership is handling NYC so far. I have no vested interest in the EPL or any team there or anywhere else in the world. For me, sports, soccer and fandom are local. ... I just don't want NYC to be treated as a clone, or a little brother, or a B team with which they pull this marketing B.S. and that Frank Lampard B.S., etc. etc.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't be the only one that feels this way. Maybe i'm in a particularly bad mood after the loss tonight in a game we should have won. It's just frustrating... And I hope the organization realizes it before it's too late. Maybe it doesn't matter what fans think.... it's NYC, there are tons of people to buy seats, right? But there've been clone teams in the league before, in major markets, that crashed and burned. It works for a little while, but people can only love a clone for so long. And once the passion is gone amongst once die-hard fans, the atmosphere isn't there, and the casuals stop coming.... So if anyone from NYCFC organization is reading this - wake up.

The players are not clones, and the guys on the team are what I'm a huge fan of right now... but the organization, not winning me over. I just want something that has flavor, something that's unique, something that's ours.

yeah and there's nothing "organic" as saying, "let's all vote for a nickname" . . . or creating a supporters group (complete with name, logo, hats, twitter account and scarves) without having actual supporters yet (where you have to then ask people to join your supporters group).

Hi jerseyhotspur. Good to talk to you. Not sure if the vote for a nickname was meant in relation to this chat, but just wanted to say I didn't mean to try to say we should have an official vote for a nickname or anything.... I just wanted to start a conversation and was just throwing my own feelings/ideas out there. Apologies if it seemed like I was trying to be official... just trying to make the convo organized I guess. I know you mentioned you're fine with NYCFC. Do you have any feelings regarding nickname/mascot, etc? Just curious. Thanks for chatting, and hope you have a good weekend!

http://www.si.com/soccer/2014/02/24/chivas-usa-mls-keegan-pierce
This old article is entitled "Why did the Chivas USA experiment fail? An insider's perspective".

Here's a telling quote:
"...foreign investors must always remember the importance of allowing a new team to grow its own roots and create its own history and identity. This is not just a question of establishing community ties (which Chivas USA certainly tried to do); it also means making sure that a new club doesn't feel it is constantly living under the shadow of a parent or older sibling."

I'm not saying that we're Chivas, or that our owners are making all the same mistakes. There are a lot of differences. But they are making a lot of the same mistakes, which frankly, after the lessons the league should have learned from Chivas USA, is shocking. Things are not nearly Chivas bad (not yet, especially), but there are definitely lessons for NYCFC to learn and courses to correct...

As a female, being identified a "Blue whale" is not very flattering. LOL . Agree it will not go anywhere:oops:
Aren't you really glad this is not our sponsor lol
2znyg75.jpg

But why are we using FC? Why "Football" all of the sudden? It's obviously because the parent club is in England and they call it that. I'm not going to say "this is America", but isn't it just universally recognized/acceptable that you use the language and vocabulary of the place you are? We've historically called it soccer here. It's not a value judgment, it's just our history and our culture of the sport. Millions of people grow up playing soccer, not football. It's the United State Soccer Federation. The league our team plays in is named Major League SOCCER.

If it was only the word, I wouldn't mind it. But it's what it stands for. It's this English parent team dictating their terms, and their marketing, and basically telling all of us that... hey, we know you call it soccer, but you're wrong.... It's them disrespecting the history of the sport in our country. And that's B.S. And more so they are just trying to make NYCFC as identical to Man City as possible, which is garbage.

And I love this team. The players are great, the fan family is great. But the organization has thus far disgusted me with the way they are trying to make us clones of Man City. With the "City", with the "Football", with the "Cityzens", with those damn Man City home jerseys. And I want to mention that I do not have anything against Man City or Man City supports or the organization for what they do with that team, so I don't mean this against Man City or supporters, but rather how CFG and ownership is handling NYC so far. I have no vested interest in the EPL or any team there or anywhere else in the world. For me, sports, soccer and fandom are local. ... I just don't want NYC to be treated as a clone, or a little brother, or a B team with which they pull this marketing B.S. and that Frank Lampard B.S., etc. etc.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't be the only one that feels this way. Maybe i'm in a particularly bad mood after the loss tonight in a game we should have won. It's just frustrating... And I hope the organization realizes it before it's too late. Maybe it doesn't matter what fans think.... it's NYC, there are tons of people to buy seats, right? But there've been clone teams in the league before, in major markets, that crashed and burned. It works for a little while, but people can only love a clone for so long. And once the passion is gone amongst once die-hard fans, the atmosphere isn't there, and the casuals stop coming.... So if anyone from NYCFC organization is reading this - wake up.

The players are not clones, and the guys on the team are what I'm a huge fan of right now... but the organization, not winning me over. I just want something that has flavor, something that's unique, something that's ours.

NYCFC sounds better than NYCSC.

NYCFC sounds better than NYCSC.
I disagree, but it's a matter of opinion, and you're more than entitled to yours. I do think though that at this point maybe you feel its sounds better because it's what you're used to hearing now after the last few years.

I think it because they want the team to be a global team in the same sense as a LA Galaxy or the Cosmos were in that people across the world know the team exist, I can understand the local fans wanting soccer as it known as a soccer in America though

Nicknames, I say the Blues and White Army, Pigeons would be a good one, you could have a Pigeon mascot as well

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
I think it because they want the team to be a global team in the same sense as a LA Galaxy or the Cosmos were in that people across the world know the team exist, I can understand the local fans wanting soccer as it known as a soccer in America though

Nicknames, I say the Blues and White Army, Pigeons would be a good one, you could have a Pigeon mascot as well
Hi Shane. Good point -- I hadn't thought of global branding as another reason CFG would use FC. Geez though... that makes me hate the "FC" even more haha. Unfortunately, I also think it's a bad strategy... I feel like to build a global brand, you need to first focus on its success and popularity locally, and then it spreads from there. I know there are far smarter/more experienced ppl at CFG than me, but is this supposed to be our team, in NYC, or not?

Blues and Pigeons seem to be a theme. White Army is interesting. Where'd you get that from, and what's it mean exactly? I like Samaritans, Shepherds, Guardians, Strikers, perhaps even Swans (to continue the bird theme) ... but definitely not against Blues and Pigeons.

Also, did you all see MLS is running a sort of March Madness bracket for mascots this month? http://www.mlssoccer.com/mascot-mania Some could use a little work, but most of them are pretty awesome, IMO

Hi Shane. Good point -- I hadn't thought of global branding as another reason CFG would use FC. Geez though... that makes me hate the "FC" even more haha. Unfortunately, I also think it's a bad strategy... I feel like to build a global brand, you need to first focus on its success and popularity locally, and then it spreads from there. I know there are far smarter/more experienced ppl at CFG than me, but is this supposed to be our team, in NYC, or not?

Blues and Pigeons seem to be a theme. White Army is interesting. Where'd you get that from, and what's it mean exactly? I like Samaritans, Shepherds, Guardians, Strikers, perhaps even Swans (to continue the bird theme) ... but definitely not against Blues and Pigeons.

Also, did you all see MLS is running a sort of March Madness bracket for mascots this month? http://www.mlssoccer.com/mascot-mania Some could use a little work, but most of them are pretty awesome, IMO

Hi NYCFC JD

First part I agree, I hope they don't forget the fan base that made them in the first place as a few clubs are starting to do these days

So the idea of Blue and White Army came from the a English chant we have, so for example the NYCFC chant would go "Patrick Vieira Blue White Army" if your not keen on Blue and White you can make it just Blue Army, I just said Blue and White Army as their are NYCFC Primary and Secondary colours

Haven't seen that so will check it out

Am I missing something with the pigeon thing, or do I just live in New York's only pigeon-free neighborhood?

I disagree. While the organization has not been perfect, they've done many things right. They've put a soccer/football (whatever you want to call it) club in the middle of NYC. They're building a culture with this city and this club and attempting to put a winning team on the pitch. They offer great incentives like Cityzen point seat upgrades, which I just used at the last match. For their $100 Million + investment, I'm wiling to allow them some global branding and tie in to MCFC. They do listen to fans as evidenced by the call I received from a fan rep asking how my upgrade experience was, emails from City Voice looking for input on merchandise and game experience. Further evidenced by the many visits my section has received last year and this year from Mike Minchella, head of ticket sales, checking in with us. If I was as hung up on the negatives as you, I'd have a hard time enjoying being a fan. Have a beer, watch your local club and chill.

Personally I'm over the name myself.
But it is still annoying when I keep having the same variant on this back and forth when I try to talk about the club to people who are unfamiliar with it. They may not be the target audience, but the club made things needlessly difficult.

- I've got an extra ticket for NYCFC, wanna come? [or I can't meet you ___ because I'm taking my daughter to NYCFC, or whatever to get it started]
- What's that?
- A new major league soccer team in New York; they play at Yankee Stadium.
- What's their name?
- NYCFC
- What''s FC?
- Football Club
- Like the Giants and Jets?
- No, soccer.
- But they say football.
- Yes.
- That's their whole name?
- Yes.
- eyeroll

Before I get to talk about how exciting it is, or the great atmosphere, I've lost them. Again, I realize these people are not the target audience, but sometimes you're forcing things too much when you play to your niche.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYCFC_JD
Personally I'm over the name myself.
But it is still annoying when I keep having the same variant on this back and forth when I try to talk about the club to people who are unfamiliar with it. They may not be the target audience, but the club made things needlessly difficult.

- I've got an extra ticket for NYCFC, wanna come? [or I can't meet you ___ because I'm taking my daughter to NYCFC, or whatever to get it started]
- What's that?
- A new major league soccer team in New York; they play at Yankee Stadium.
- What's their name?
- NYCFC
- What''s FC?
- Football Club
- Like the Giants and Jets?
- No, soccer.
- But they say football.
- Yes.
- That's their whole name?
- Yes.
- eyeroll

Before I get to talk about how exciting it is, or the great atmosphere, I've lost them. Again, I realize these people are not the target audience, but sometimes you're forcing things too much when you play to your niche.
Tell them to bugger off.