The 2016 MLS East/West InterConference Play Thread

Plus, of our 5 games against the West, 3 are against the top 3 teams (all at home): COL, LAG, DAL; and 2 are against #8 and #10, SNJ and HOU, both away.
Especially since COL, LAG, and DAL have not lost once at home.

PS: Neither has RSL and we played them in NYC too and blew it so let's not screw these up, okay?

Round 21 - Week 21
No interconference games last week.

This week two games, both at home for the East.
East Record 1-1-0

Season To Date
East Record 21-31-23
At Home 15-7-15 (37 games)
On Road 6-24-8 (38 games)
Goal Differential -13
East Points 86
West Points 116

NYCFC provided the win this week. The Union lost at home to RSL after taking the early lead. Of course, we managed that as well. But our record against the West is 4-2-0 which does stand out.

Last edited:
Round 22 - Week 22
This week six games, three at home and three away.
East Record 2-2-2

Season To Date
East Record 23-33-25
At Home 17-8-15 (40 games)
On Road 6-25-10 (41 games)
Goal Differential -15
East Points 94
West Points 124

Last year the West finished ahead by 33 points in Interconference Play. Right now they are up 30 with 19 games to go. Unless there is a sudden change of form, the East seems likely to do worse this year than last year.

Last edited:
Round 23 - Week 23
This week two games, home and away.
East Record 1-0-1

Season To Date
East Record 24-33-26
At Home 18-8-15 (41 games)
On Road 6-25-11 (42 games)
Goal Differential -13
East Points 98
West Points 125

DCU grabbed a Home win in a game where I felt comfortable rooting for the East. Toronto tied on the road.

Both the East and West are getting fewer PPG than they did last year, because there have been more ties.

Round 24 - Week 24
This week two games, home and away.
East Record 1-0-1
Just like last week.

Season To Date
East Record 25-33-27
At Home 19-8-15 (42 games)
On Road 6-25-12 (43 games)
Goal Differential -12
East Points 102
West Points 126

The East record excluding NYC is 1.20 PPG and with NYC it is 1.28 PPG. The Goal Differential without NYC is -18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gotham Gator
84 games, and the West is +18 on goal differential. That's a solid difference, but hardly overwhelming.

There are two mistakes here: one mine and one yours.
Mine is I listed 42 home games each for East and West but there are 43 West home games to date and that's fixed.
Yours is you misread my post. The GD is 12 overall not 18. 18 is the GD excluding NYCFC games. We're +6.

Last edited:
There are two mistakes here: one mine and one yours.
Mine is I listed 42 home games each for East and West but there are 43 to date and that's fixed.
Yours is you misread my post. The GD is 12 overall not 18. 18 is the GD excluding NYCFC games. We're +6.

Got it. So, there is are 43 games total and a 12 goal deficit. That's more significant.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Was thinking of this today, and glad I found this thread, and MGarbs website. Glad you kept up the tally all year. In the beginning of the year, the moron soccer writers were all hyperventilating about how bad the East was vs the West. Looking back, the stats have normalized toward the mean, as they are wont to do, and I think if you take the playoff teams in the East vs the playoff teams in the West, the East looks much better. NJ, NYC and TO vs Dallas, Colorado and LA?

I just chuckle at how bad and homogenous most of the media that covers US Soccer is.

Was thinking of this today, and glad I found this thread, and MGarbs website. Glad you kept up the tally all year. In the beginning of the year, the moron soccer writers were all hyperventilating about how bad the East was vs the West. Looking back, the stats have normalized toward the mean, as they are wont to do, and I think if you take the playoff teams in the East vs the playoff teams in the West, the East looks much better. NJ, NYC and TO vs Dallas, Colorado and LA?

I just chuckle at how bad and homogenous most of the media that covers US Soccer is.
Thanks Tom. I should probably cross post that year end post here. I also did some research on another theory I have seen offered, which is that the worst teams in the East are so much worse than the bottom of the West, this inflates the records of the top teams in the East. I compiled a bunch of data and life intervened and I never wrote it up. If I can find the research I will put it together.

Thanks Tom. I should probably cross post that year end post here. I also did some research on another theory I have seen offered, which is that the worst teams in the East are so much worse than the bottom of the West, this inflates the records of the top teams in the East. I compiled a bunch of data and life intervened and I never wrote it up. If I can find the research I will put it together.
I hope it confirms my thoughts which is that is not true. Chicago is the worst, but are they THAT much worse than Houston?