The Cut List

I think people are assuming that the only way Mix is gone next year is if the club thinks he hasn't been cutting it and decides to put him on the open market. For me, the most realistic outcome right now is that Mix decides he wants to leave and requests a transfer. I think the guy is having some regrets about coming to play for the American legend known as Jason Kreis and may have reservations about staying another year in a situation that has not been beneficial to his career. Kreis seems to have it out for Mix on a personal level on top of the fact that he continues to play him out of position. Mix is an ambitious guy who will want to further his career (for both club and country) and staying at NYCFC under Kreis as manager may not be the best option for him. Personally, I hope Mix stays but I've been hoping Kreis will play him centrally all season and that hasn't exactly panned out.

Not to be nitpicky here, but did you mean Alvarez should be gone? The sentence you wrote above mentioned keeping Allen, just wanted to make sure.

Yes I meant Alvarez. Thank you for catching that

I think people are assuming that the only way Mix is gone next year is if the club thinks he hasn't been cutting it and decides to put him on the open market. For me, the most realistic outcome right now is that Mix decides he wants to leave and requests a transfer. I think the guy is having some regrets about coming to play for the American legend known as Jason Kreis and may have reservations about staying another year in a situation that has not been beneficial to his career. Kreis seems to have it out for Mix on a personal level on top of the fact that he continues to play him out of position. Mix is an ambitious guy who will want to further his career (for both club and country) and staying at NYCFC under Kreis as manager may not be the best option for him. Personally, I hope Mix stays but I've been hoping Kreis will play him centrally all season and that hasn't exactly panned out.
Absolutely. I have a tough time coming up with reasons why Mix would want to stay, unless he finds playing wit Pirlo to be so rewarding he is willing to put up with everything else.
Scarier thought: Poku might also have other options.

Reactions: FootyLovin and Paul
nothing evidences delusion on these boards so much as people advocating to cut lampard and saunders.
Seriously. I've said this a trillion times: Saunders gives up goals, sure, but 70% of goals this season have resulted from point-black or 1v1 shots where the offensive player has a huge advantage. Saunders made some great stops yesterday, but expecting him to win every 1v1 or 2v1, which the defense is somehow prone to do, is unrealistic. He's done fine with stopping shots and Kreis has tried to remedy his distribution problems, which is why we've played so short recently.

As an aside, we have enough trouble trying to get the ball from the defense pushed forward that I think we're better off have Saunders kick to midfield, and hope someone can head the ball back to a midfield, then start from there.

Reactions: Seth
The other point people are forgetting about Mix is that he is very important "face" for our team. He sells jerseys, female fans like him, he plays for national team, and like Paul Paul said if anything Mix will choose to leave not the other way around.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Need salary information to figure this out properly.

Lampard 6,000k
Villa 5,600k
Pirlo 2,300k
Diskerud 750k
Nemec 333k
Calle 225k
Wingert 215k
Grabavoy 215k
Iraola 200k
Mena 200k
Hernandez 185k
Jacobson 150k
Brovksy 129k
Facey 120k
Mullins 110k
Saunders 90k
Shelton 88k
Taylor 84k
Ballouchy 83k
Watson-Siriboe 82k
Meara 73k
McNamara 71k
Poku 63k
Alvarez 63k
Allen 60k
Angelino 60k
Velasquez 60k
Brandt 50k
Johansen 50k

Thank you for posting.

Keep:
- Lampard, Villa, Pirlo -- We're not giving these players up, regardless of their contracts or performance
- Mix -- He's only been in the league for a year and hasn't even been with the team the entire year
- Irola, Hernandez, Mena, Jacobson -- Have talent, been to develop more with the team despite age
- Mullins -- Young and talent, needs more playing time
- Saunders -- Cheap and our best option at the time
- Shelton, Taylor, Ballouchy -- Cheap, what we've seen has been good
- McNamara, Poku -- Great value for talent

Questionable:
- Brovsky -- He's the mustache of the club
- Facey -- If we could keep him
- Angelino -- If we could keep him
- Velsaquez -- Kreis sees something in the guy as he's Mix's replacement
- Brandt -- Cheap, no idea what he plays like
- Johansen -- He performed well during the Cosmos game, he's 6'7" and MCFC saw something in him. I'd like to see him on the field for an actual MLS game unfortunately he's our third string.

Cut:
- Nemec -- The NYCFC scout of personnel what wanted this guy should be cut too. 300K+ and an international spot?
- Wingert, Grabavoy -- Wingert's an NYC kid but the RSL experiment is over
- Lord Kwame -- No explanation necessary
- Meara -- I don't want loans from the Red Bulls
- Alvarez -- Not worth the international spot
- Calle -- Injury prone, not with the money or international spot

Last edited:
Reactions: SayWhat44
nothing evidences delusion on these boards so much as people advocating to cut lampard and saunders.

Advocating cutting Lampard isn't delusional and isn't even, necessarily, a shot at him. Currently, NYCFC and other MLS teams have 3 players (DPs) they can pay large wages to impact the team. Lampard's best position is central midfield. We already have Pirlo playing that position deep, and playing Lampard next to him is a defensive disaster, so that's out. That means he will have to play the central attacking midfield spot; most here agree that's best for him.

Oh wait, we have a 23 year old player who doesn't take up an international slot and who is arguably our second best player this year in Poku playing that exact spot. In a limited number of starts, he's provided significant production and he makes approximately 60K per year. Playing Lampard in Poku's place would likely be a downgrade on current production, and Poku hasn't really shown the ability to be productive at other positions, save maybe as a forward.

Basically, what I argue when saying that we should cut or sell Lampard is that he has no place in the starting team as currently constructed that doesn't hurt the team. We need to get significant production out of our DPs, and Lampard simply isn't situated to provide us with a significant bump in production at his position. I believe the team would benefit from using the money and DP spot that Lampard occupies currently on a winger, CDM, CB, or even a second striker much more than it currently benefits from keeping him. So, in sum, no, advocating for NYCFC to cut Lampard is not delusional.

Lampard 6,000k (would love to cut)
Villa 5,600k
Pirlo 2,300k
Diskerud 750k
Nemec 333k (Cut 1000x)
Calle 225k (Cut)
Wingert 215k (Cut)
Grabavoy 215k (Cut)
Iraola 200k
Mena 200k
Hernandez 185k
Jacobson 150k (Cut)
Brovksy 129k (Cut)
Facey 120k
Mullins 110k
Saunders 90k
Shelton 88k
Taylor 84k
Ballouchy 83k (Cut)
Watson-Siriboe 82k (Cut)
Meara 73k (Terminate loan?)
McNamara 71k
Poku 63k
Alvarez 63k (Cut)
Allen 60k
Angelino 60k
Velasquez 60k (Cut)
Brandt 50k (Loan out)
Johansen 50k (Loan Out)

I think we need to sign a Goal Keeper (Would like to see Meara given a shot), a New Striker, and depending if Angelino/Facey stay or go a new CB/FB.

Don't think Alvarez is going unless he wants to.

He was brought in for Villa and that's that I suspect.

Thank you for posting.

Keep:
- Lampard, Villa, Pirlo -- We're not giving these players up, regardless of their contracts or performance
- Mix -- He's only been in the league for a year and hasn't even been with the team the entire year
- Irola, Hernandez, Mena, Jacobson -- Have talent, been to develop more with the team despite age
- Mullins -- Young and talent, needs more playing time
- Saunders -- Cheap and our best option at the time
- Shelton, Taylor, Ballouchy -- Cheap, what we've seen has been good
- McNamara, Poku -- Great value for talent

Questionable:
- Brovsky -- He's the mustache of the club
- Facey -- If we could keep him
- Angelino -- If we could keep him
- Velsaquez -- Kreis sees something in the guy as he's Mix's replacement
- Brandt -- Cheap, no idea what he plays like
- Johansen -- He performed well during the Cosmos game, he's 6'7" and MCFC saw something in him. I'd like to see him on the field for an actual MLS game unfortunately he's our third string.

Cut:
- Nemec -- The NYCFC scout of personnel what wanted this guy should be cut too. 300K+ and an international spot?
- Wingert, Grabavoy -- Wingert's an NYC kid but the RSL experiment is over
- Lord Kwame -- No explanation necessary
- Meara -- I don't want loans from the Red Bulls
- Alvarez -- Not worth the international spot
- Calle -- Injury prone, not with the money or international spot
I agree with you 100%, I think Angelino if he stays will end up being $120k just like Facey and Iraola will be $400k. That being said I still keep them both if we can.

Absolutely. I have a tough time coming up with reasons why Mix would want to stay, unless he finds playing wit Pirlo to be so rewarding he is willing to put up with everything else.
Scarier thought: Poku might also have other options.
MLS players are basically serfs. They can't become free agents until 28 year olds/8 years of experience IIRC. So we got Poku for at least 7 more years if he stays in MLS.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
MLS players are basically serfs. They can't become free agents until 28 year olds/8 years of experience IIRC. So we got Poku for at least 7 more years if he stays in MLS.
I know that. And you know the reason I wrote what I did. it's in the last clause of your post: "if he stays in MLS." Poku has shown enough promise he could get offers from other leagues. He's not going to go start for Chelsea or Barcelona, but he could have options.

Don't think Alvarez is going unless he wants to.

He was brought in for Villa and that's that I suspect.
And you know what, I wouldn't be crazy upset about that. I don't think Alvarez has shown much to keep as a roster spot, but his salary is only at $63k. Now, he does take up an international spot which is a problem, especially considering we traded for an extra one.

Think of it this way hypothetically, we traded our allocation money to LAG so we could keep Pablo Alvarez. (I know it was to sign Mena, but cutting Alvarez would have gotten us there as well.)

Reactions: mgarbowski
I know that. And you know the reason I wrote what I did. it's in the last clause of your post: "if he stays in MLS." Poku has shown enough promise he could get offers from other leagues. He's not going to go start for Chelsea or Barcelona, but he could have options.

This is true, and we should pay him more, but remember also that Poku's wife is an American citizen studying to be a nurse. He's got roots here.

This is true, and we should pay him more, but remember also that Poku's wife is an American citizen studying to be a nurse. He's got roots here.
That's our hope. I think on balance he stays unless there is a truly amazing offer. So to clarify I think he has options, but probably stays.

That's our hope. I think on balance he stays unless there is a truly amazing offer. So to clarify I think he has options, but probably stays.
We're gonna have to pay him though, and that could be an issue. He could easily add another zero to the end of his salary, and in a few years if he just keeps on getting better and better perhaps a *second* zero.

Reactions: mgarbowski