The Kyle Beckerman Trade Featuring Jk, Ballouchy, Wingert And Surprisingly Dave Checketts

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...as-another-mountain-climb-real-salt-lake-word

• JK didn't want the Beckerman for Ballouchy trade. Checketts forces the trade anyway.
  • JK changes Beckerman's position from box-to-box midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 to strictly a CDM in JK's 4-1-2-1-2. Beckerman becomes a stud.
Very interesting article. Makes a lot of sense too. A coach like JK - cold, critical - needs a strong glue player. That coaching style doesn't unite a team. But that style combined with a strong player presence can do so. I don't think our locker room had the player to complement JK in that way.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...as-another-mountain-climb-real-salt-lake-word

• JK didn't want the Beckerman for Ballouchy trade. Checketts forces the trade anyway.
  • JK changes Beckerman's position from box-to-box midfielder in the 4-2-3-1 to strictly a CDM in JK's 4-1-2-1-2. Beckerman becomes a stud.
Actually the article says pretty much all RSL FO was hesitant because of Beckerman's mouth but when Checketts called the league office they convinced him that it was a no-brainer. RSL then pulled the trigger:
RSL were frozen. Ellinger and Kreis were considering leaving the trade on the table. Checketts, who had made his share of deals during previous stints at the helm of the NBA’s Utah Jazz and New York Knicks and NHL’s New York Rangers, was initially bullish on the proposal – he jokes that he “offered to drive Mehdi to the airport” after first receiving the offer – but had his doubts as well.

For a time, it looked like RSL would decline Clavijo’s offer, leaving a man who would eventually take the club to great heights on the other side of the Rockies. Then Checketts rang a league employee working in player development, and asked him what he thought of the proposed trade. The source, whom Checketts declined to name, told him that the deal for Beckerman was a “no-brainer.”

On Checketts’ orders, RSL pulled the trigger.

For those new to MLS this year, I think you forget that in 2007, Ballouchy was a highly sought after SuperDraft pick. He was actually a highlight for RSL when they pretty much sucked in 2006. It didn't surprise me that they were hesitant to trade him. He was one of the only bright spots they had. But time tells us this was one of the best trades ever. I hope NYC has a magic trade like that this off-season.

Very interesting article. Makes a lot of sense too. A coach like JK - cold, critical - needs a strong glue player. That coaching style doesn't unite a team. But that style combined with a strong player presence can do so. I don't think our locker room had the player to complement JK in that way.
Honestly, if you think Kreis is "cold" and "doesn't unite his team" then you know nothing about the guy.

Which isn't surprising from a person watching one season of MLS.