• THE City

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Gotham Blues

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • The 5 Boroughs

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am glad I am not alone... that's exactly what I started thinking. Think of the slogans - "We Are All New Yorkers" or "New Yorkers for Life"... its too natural. Way more fitting than other teams like the Galaxy or Red Bulls.

Remember, there are many Cities, but only one New York.
There's only one city that matters.

We're New York. They're the Red Bulls.

The NFL doesn't have this problem because there are no teams in the 5 boroughs of New York compared with New Jersey. So the New York Jets and the New York Giants can be New York. MLB, NBA, or NHL doesn't have this problem either. The Devils are smart enough to go by New Jersey Devils. We're the only league with this problem.

We're New York. They're the Red Bulls.

The NFL doesn't have this problem because there are no teams in the 5 boroughs of New York compared with New Jersey. So the New York Jets and the New York Giants can be New York. MLB, NBA, or NHL doesn't have this problem either. The Devils are smart enough to go by New Jersey Devils. We're the only league with this problem.
I know a lot of NFL fans that say the same thing and are Buffalo fans because they're the only Ny team.

I'm just curious - I'm not trying to sway the vote at all - but do those of you who voted for NYC or New York City not think that it might get confusing in certain scenarios? I mean, if someone were to post the comment "I just wish NYC would get announce something about a SSS" it could be read as meaning either that the team should release some information or that the city authorities should. I'm sure if you spent a little while thinking about it, you could come up with a number more of such potential confusions. Would it not be better to use a nickname that does not make it sound like you might actually be referring to the location rather than the team?

I'm just curious - I'm not trying to sway the vote at all - but do those of you who voted for NYC or New York City not think that it might get confusing in certain scenarios? I mean, if someone were to post the comment "I just wish NYC would get announce something about a SSS" it could be read as meaning either that the team should release some information or that the city authorities should. I'm sure if you spent a little while thinking about it, you could come up with a number more of such potential confusions. Would it not be better to use a nickname that does not make it sound like you might actually be referring to the location rather than the team?
This has been why I don't like calling the team New York CIty or NYC or New York. We've got 9-10 teams , maybe more, in the area that use New York as part of their name (justified or not). It seems confusing, plus a weird presumption of presumptuous and lame. Presumptuous because nearly all of those other teams are more popular, more established, and more known than this one. Lame because, can't we come up with a name?

Let's just give it time. At least until they've played a few.

This has been why I don't like calling the team New York CIty or NYC or New York. We've got 9-10 teams , maybe more, in the area that use New York as part of their name (justified or not). It seems confusing, plus a weird presumption of presumptuous and lame. Presumptuous because nearly all of those other teams are more popular, more established, and more known than this one. Lame because, can't we come up with a name?

Let's just give it time. At least until they've played a few.
It's part of the reason I have been using the blues as well and also no other team in the league uses the Blues nickname.

NYCFC solves that problem.

Reactions: Paul and einwindir
NYCFC solves that problem.
NYCFC doesn't flow, has no rhythm for natural speech (oddly, it works well in chants), and is about the least euphonious sound combo anybody could have invented.*

There's got to be something better.

* But no, it's not a marketing trick or a branding play.

New York City is THE City. Call us "City" or "the Blues. I'm not a MCFC supporter in any way. I just think if we try to hard it's gonna sound like an arena football team. Just my two cents

NYCFC gets around the problem, but it's a mouthful, and especially for those of us who hear ourselves saying in our heads the stuff we are typing it means many people are likely to avoid it because even if it's not hard to type it feels like a lot of effort.

I suspect that after a year or two, or perhaps only a couple of months, a more natural and easy nickname will come into common usage as people start to actually have to use a nickname for the team more than just once every few weeks, and it'll only take one decent name circulating to subconsciously win over a number of the post base here. A few of the names on here would work, a few I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I'm not trying to detract from the poll, just thought I'd create some friendly debate.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
if speaking to someone who watches soccer, say New York City. if speaking to someone who doesnt, say nycfc

Buffalo is basically Canada.
Buffalo is a good two and a half hours from the nearest large Canadian City. Much closer to larger Ny cities like Rochester and even Syracuse.

New York City used to be called New Amsterdam and was later renamed for the Duke of York.

New Amsterdam is a mouthful and using Duke will be confusing.

Seems like a dead end, but posting this in case someone more creative can do something with it.