The Outfield

That makes a lot of sense. The one biggest contrast to this (and I know it is a couple years back at this point) is spending a DP slot on a CB.
Oh, I think that was very much part of the plan. They'll pay a premium for the right center backs. And they may be onto something, considering how much better we got after Birk Risa joined the squad.

Oh, I think that was very much part of the plan. They'll pay a premium for the right center backs. And they may be onto something, considering how much better we got after Birk Risa joined the squad.
Agree about Risa, but that also kind of makes the point. We have Chanot, Callens and now Risa, all great evidence that you can have star level CBs in MLS for non-DP money.

In the end, we are where we are. Until Martins' contract runs out we won't see if this is an experiment they think worthy of repeating in the future.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Agree about Risa, but that also kind of makes the point. We have Chanot, Callens and now Risa, all great evidence that you can have star level CBs in MLS for non-DP money.

In the end, we are where we are. Until Martins' contract runs out we won't see if this is an experiment they think worthy of repeating in the future.
I think I kind of agree. Sort of. I mean, I don't think I would characterize the Martins contract as an experiment, as much as a strategic decision.

Here's my take: we won't necessarily reserve a DP slot for a center back, but we'll expend it on one for the right guy. Martins happened to be the right guy. He's a foundational player.

What I find encouraging is the willingness of our front office to go their own way. There's probably a bias toward using DPs for glamour players; strikers, dudes with a rep coming over from Big Five leagues, marquee names late in their careers. The fact we'd use one on a pacey center back in his prime and then take our time to find another really talented center back to go with him (and replace our key player in the bargain) tells me we're doing things according to a plan.

Hey everyone, The Outfield is gearing up for the new season. We have a couple of pieces in the works including a mailbag that we will drop next week before the start of Coachella. Feel free to drop any questions in here and we will do our best to answer!

Reactions: FootyLovin
At what point in the season will fans start calling for Cushing’s head, and at what point will CFG finally drop the knife? The line is 12 weeks

On a more serious note, should we take comfort in the finish we had toward the end of the season - after our summer transfers had settled in? Or, should we believe that more help is still needed? 15 points in our last 8 games is solid, but it was not the stiffest competition.

Kevin previews the season for American Soccer Analysis, fantastic stuff

For what Shwafta Shwafta and canchon canchon are referring to:

I couldn't reach the page on my work laptop, so couldn't post it. figured someone else would be able to lol.

Also the best line:
"Buy if you love:
- Chris Campbell"