Timbers Postmatch

Really glad Saunders wasn't forced to play the short ball of the restarts today. The goal kicks and punts worked out sooooo much better than that play out of the back crap.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Just when I was about to give up, this 3 win streak saved my severely bruised soccer soul. Well done NY. We are the more winning team at the Yankee Stadium currently :)

Reactions: Jock and RockShrimp
Sure we gave up a lot of the ball but our shape was incredible. Every time we got beaten by a pass or a dribble, the next man was ready to step in. That was some clinical, dead ass game management on the road in the belly of the beast.

It's really crazy how simple the game is when the entire team moves like a unit. MoTM PV.

This just in.... Matarrita has major closing speed....... :D

LOL. We already knew that but man he really showed it tonight!!!
I didn't know it. Don't think I'd ever seen him sprint before.

He better get into an MC, RM type set up. He ain't much for grinding and getting back to just be in position.

And I still like him a lot. But he's very much an Alves/Marcelo type. He will give up a lot of goals in a top league, but he'll be 80+ on FIFA.

The Good

I wonder how much of Hernandez's performance was due to finally having some chemistry along the back line. He obviously played great individually, but it's not easy to see how trust in your partner can allow for more confident individual efforts. All I know is that the Hernandez-Brillant partnership has looked better each game after the rough Chicago opener.

Matarrita still looks a class above everyone else on the field. Adi and Melano are among the most physically gifted forwards in the league, and he was all over them tonight in addition to playing an offensive role. He led the team in touches with 70 and tackles with seven. He was running on fumes by the final whistle. And his take down of Adi in the box was just good physical play, not an obvious foul.

If there was any doubt that McNamara is our best midfielder after Pirlo, it should be gone by this point. He hustles, he's consistent, and he produces. Three key passes tonight, and a 90% passing rate.

Speaking of Pirlo, he seems better when he's not the only player on our team that touches the ball. His touches are slightly down from early in the year when he dominated the stat sheet, but he quality of his touches are even better with him higher up the pitch. Four key passes and his assist to McNamara, plus five tackles - the hustle is contagious.

Finally, speaking of the hustle, I think Lopez played an underappreciated game and his best of the year so far. Comparing him with Mix out there, I see why Vieira has been playing him. He darts all over the field constantly, regardless of whether he's in the attacking half or defending. He netted four tackles and seven interceptions today. He was shutout from the offensive side of the box score, but that's not his job. His job is to make our three-man midfield feel like four.

The Bad

Very little to complain about here. I'm definitely holding Mix to a higher standard when I say this, but he finally got 90 minutes to try to prove his benching was a mistake and didn't really show it. He jogged while Lopez sprinted, and generally played good but not great in all areas. He plays like a super sub that can hold down a number of spots, but doesn't consistently have an impact.

Seems petty because he had some great saves, but even when Saunders plays well, he mixes in enough scary plays that reminds us he could easily lose us a game any given week. A few pretty ugly plays that are forgettable because Portland didn't capitalize. With the way Hernandez and Brillant have been playing, I think a keeper upgrade would be the easiest place to improve the team.

I didn't know it. Don't think I'd ever seen him sprint before.

He better get into an MC, RM type set up. He ain't much for grinding and getting back to just be in position.

And I still like him a lot. But he's very much an Alves/Marcelo type. He will give up a lot of goals in a top league, but he'll be 80+ on FIFA.

Agreed. His best position is probably LWB or LM. That said, he's still an amazing LB at the MLS level.

Playing disciplined is paying off. The formation, shape and positioning was top notch. It is making everyone better, especially the back line. Patrick is saying - to hell with everyone that says you have to play MLS style soccer here, I'm gonna play European football.

Things are coming together guys...Let's end next week in 1st place.

I watch the replay of RJ's pass to Villa.
Then I look at the standings.
Then I watch Tommy's wonder goal.
Then I look at the standings.
Repeat.
I might not sleep tonight.
LOL, literally minutes ago a friend of mine on Facebook put up a meme regarding insomnia and I just let her know I'm so pumped up from the game, I'll probably be up all night myself.

Hope Coast to Coast has something interesting on the radio tonight!

The Good

I wonder how much of Hernandez's performance was due to finally having some chemistry along the back line. He obviously played great individually, but it's not easy to see how trust in your partner can allow for more confident individual efforts. All I know is that the Hernandez-Brillant partnership has looked better each game after the rough Chicago opener.

Matarrita still looks a class above everyone else on the field. Adi and Melano are among the most physically gifted forwards in the league, and he was all over them tonight in addition to playing an offensive role. He led the team in touches with 70 and tackles with seven. He was running on fumes by the final whistle. And his take down of Adi in the box was just good physical play, not an obvious foul.

If there was any doubt that McNamara is our best midfielder after Pirlo, it should be gone by this point. He hustles, he's consistent, and he produces. Three key passes tonight, and a 90% passing rate.

Speaking of Pirlo, he seems better when he's not the only player on our team that touches the ball. His touches are slightly down from early in the year when he dominated the stat sheet, but he quality of his touches are even better with him higher up the pitch. Four key passes and his assist to McNamara, plus five tackles - the hustle is contagious.

Finally, speaking of the hustle, I think Lopez played an underappreciated game and his best of the year so far. Comparing him with Mix out there, I see why Vieira has been playing him. He darts all over the field constantly, regardless of whether he's in the attacking half or defending. He netted four tackles and seven interceptions today. He was shutout from the offensive side of the box score, but that's not his job. His job is to make our three-man midfield feel like four.

The Bad

Very little to complain about here. I'm definitely holding Mix to a higher standard when I say this, but he finally got 90 minutes to try to prove his benching was a mistake and didn't really show it. He jogged while Lopez sprinted, and generally played good but not great in all areas. He plays like a super sub that can hold down a number of spots, but doesn't consistently have an impact.

Seems petty because he had some great saves, but even when Saunders plays well, he mixes in enough scary plays that reminds us he could easily lose us a game any given week. A few pretty ugly plays that are forgettable because Portland didn't capitalize. With the way Hernandez and Brillant have been playing, I think a keeper upgrade would be the easiest place to improve the team.
Thought Khiry was bad tonight. On the plus side, he tends to lose the ball early, before we have time to overcommit going forward.

Thought Khiry was bad tonight. On the plus side, he tends to lose the ball early, before we have time to overcommit going forward.
His one plus was that late in the game when he got the ball he had the sense to head to the corner to kill time. Unfortunately, he didn't even do that well.