Toronto (Home, Playoffs) - Postmatch

I'm interested in the divide we have between blaming poor shape/tactics and poor effort/execution. I lean to the latter, but admittedly I'm not the best at diagnosing the former. I would be interested in reading more expanded explanations of how people think Toronto tactically bested us and what we should have done to counter it.

I do know the team seemed to forget the basics -- stuff that sort of falls on both sides. I lost track of the number of times somebody played a ball forward into open space and nobody went after it, and the closest player to it seemed to look at the guy who made the pass and ask "why did you think I would go there?" In contrast, I can't remember a single clear time Maxi or anyone tried our bread and butter play of flipping the field with a long pass towards the far side deep corner from midfield. It was like the team had no idea how to play as the team they had become.

It was like the team had no idea how to play as the team they had become.
I think this is the down side of having so much time off before your first game of the playoffs if you're the top seed in your conference; lack of match sharpness. I don't think one friendly against a shitty Chicago Fire B team or whatever was enough.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm interested in the divide we have between blaming poor shape/tactics and poor effort/execution. I lean to the latter, but admittedly I'm not the best at diagnosing the former. I would be interested in reading more expanded explanations of how people think Toronto tactically bested us and what we should have done to counter it.

I do know the team seemed to forget the basics -- stuff that sort of falls on both sides. I lost track of the number of times somebody played a ball forward into open space and nobody went after it, and the closest player to it seemed to look at the guy who made the pass and ask "why did you think I would go there?" In contrast, I can't remember a single clear time Maxi or anyone tried our bread and butter play of flipping the field with a long pass towards the far side deep corner from midfield. It was like the team had no idea how to play as the team they had become.
There’s plenty of blame to go around for the players. We’ve already discussed Mata. How about Mitrita, our DP, who didn’t seems to be on the same page with teammates and absolutely blew 2 breakaway opportunities failing to routinely control the ball. I’ll give him that the ref screwed him over on that phantom tackle at the top of the box, but short of 2-3 matches this year where he looked like a DP, he’s been a serious disappointment.

And I made myself a pastrami sandwich today, because it’s better, more successful, and more useful than that other DP that’s now on a milk carton.

Reactions: Jock
There’s plenty of blame to go around for the players. We’ve already discussed Mata. How about Mitrita, our DP, who didn’t seems to be on the same page with teammates and absolutely blew 2 breakaway opportunities failing to routinely control the ball. I’ll give him that the ref screwed him over on that phantom tackle at the top of the box, but short of 2-3 matches this year where he looked like a DP, he’s been a serious disappointment.

And I made myself a pastrami sandwich today, because it’s better, more successful, and more useful than that other DP that’s now on a milk carton.

Medina's contract has to be done after this season, right? or was it 3 years?

You're right that Mitri did not show up last night. 2 failed breakaways that should have at least resulted in a shot on target. What baffled me the most was the free kick from distance, where he attempted a shot on goal and hit the ONE man wall. How on earth do you hit the ONE man for a free kick? Moreover, I get he has a nice right foot and all, but he wasn't gonna score from that distance. The better play would have been to let Isi take a left footed curling direct ball that dropped into the box between the back line and the keeper. more dangerous and higher probability of goal or corner.

as you said, plenty of blame to go around. No one, aside from Sean had a stellar game, in my view.

Medina's contract has to be done after this season, right? or was it 3 years?

You're right that Mitri did not show up last night. 2 failed breakaways that should have at least resulted in a shot on target. What baffled me the most was the free kick from distance, where he attempted a shot on goal and hit the ONE man wall. How on earth do you hit the ONE man for a free kick? Moreover, I get he has a nice right foot and all, but he wasn't gonna score from that distance. The better play would have been to let Isi take a left footed curling direct ball that dropped into the box between the back line and the keeper. more dangerous and higher probability of goal or corner.

as you said, plenty of blame to go around. No one, aside from Sean had a stellar game, in my view.
Ring played well. Cleaned up tons of messes created by stupidity and bad touches.

Reactions: Kjbert
That was a pain in the ass to watch. Why did we lose the game? There are many factors, of which we can mention playing an away game at home, and the silly prize of three weeks' break that came with winning the conference. I don't think any other major league is decided on this play off system, and for a good reason. It is stupid and belongs to cup footy.

The rustiness of players was painfully visible from the kick off. Here's my take about the players. Yes, it's subjective like everyone's is.

Sean Johnson kept us in the game during the first half. He was outstanding throughout the match. Maybe he should have guessed that Pozuelo is again doing the panenka, but it's hard to blame him. MotM by a country mile.

Matarrita cost us this tie. He just isn't good enough, and is due his obligatory brain fart every other game. Sadly it came in the worst possible moment. For the good three years that I've closely followed this team, they haven't had a good left back, and I haven't seen an effort to fix this glaring problem. Sweat is no better than Mata, and this flaw should have been addressed a long time ago. Mata's contract is up after this season and shouldn't be re-negotiated.

Callens was as immobile in the first half as everybody else, but his defending didn't let anyone down. He was one of the better players last night.

Chanot's miss was just another costly error, and didn't come out of plain stupidity like Mata's, and without the latter it wouldn't have proved so crucial. His opening of play was non-existent, though, and the club should clearly try to upgrade here. Chanot has a big heart, but isn't a brilliant player.

Tinnerholm was unexpectedly quiet. He didn't have the chance to roam on the right flank, and this was mostly because no one could play a pass to him there. He defended pretty well, but can do so much more, given the opportunity to link up with the attack.

The reason for Tinnerholm's quietness going forward was that his usual supplier, Ring, couldn't give opening passes, because he had to sweep after the clumsy and rusty Parks time after time. Ring made several vital interceptions and tackles, but after winning the ball there was no one to pass the ball to, because Parks was such shambles running around like a headless chicken. For the same reason Ring couldn't feed the left flank or Maxi either.

Maxi was invisible until Toronto's goal, and even after that he couldn't find his normal gear. Maxi was a big disappointment, because normally he is the actual leader of the attack, but couldn't get the ball in the first half because of the Parks-Ring problem, and couldn't do much with it when the team started playing better.

The problem with Mitrita is that his running with the ball is, however dangerous, quite one-dimensional, and Toronto knew this and could shut him out. Only once did he manage his usual dribble-shot, but miscued his kick and the result was a throw-in for Toronto. Also, there weren't free-kicks close enough of the goal which he could have buried. When he was played through, he couldn't control the ball and a great scoring opportunity was missed. In one word, Mitrita was ineffective.

Tajouri-Shradi did run a lot but had only one flash of brilliance. Normally his brilliance results in a scored goal, also this time. He was out-muscled by the Toronto defense far too easily.

Castellanos was also a big disappointment. He made wrong runs, and looked very, very rusty throughout the game. His turn and shot in the second half was one that a month ago he would have buried.

Heber sparked up the attack. He immediately made his presence known, and had the other forwards and Maxi been more mobile, we could have won this game with a goal or two, either scored or assisted by Heber.

Also, Toronto's team is much bigger and physically stronger than ours, and in three out of four air duels they just out-muscled our players. The ref also allowed a lot of pushing, which a few NYC players were uncomfortable with. And finally, Toronto played very well. They used their strengths, even with some important players missing, knew what to do, and how to do it. IMO they totally deserved their victory.

What could have been done? I'm also in the three at the back camp. Replacing Parks with Sands would have changed the form of defending, and subbing him with Rocha could have given Ring the opportunity to move higher up to support Maxi. Ring's frustration was there for everyone to see because he couldn't teleport. It looked to me that Torrent was ready to make substitutions for the extra-time, but Mata's darkest moment robbed him of that chance.

What comes next? I have no idea, but I have a feeling that now was this side's make or break moment, and we'll see a few new faces next season, not necessarily of better quality than those that are already there. This belongs to other topic, but IMHO the club should be looking for more European than South American players, because those Europeans who come to New York and MLS don't so much look at it as a transfer station for European leagues as certainly do many young and raw South American players. If there's also a new face(s) in the dugout remains to be seen. I wouldn't be surprised to see Dome move on now. And who could blame him, if he's unhappy with how the team is built? Lot's of work to do for the front office.

How many times has Chanot made boneheaded mistakes now that have been shrugged off at this point? I feel like I’m seeing the same shit too often.
This. And I know his mistake last night was egregious and is one of the factors that now leads to us ending our postseason short. And while I acknowledge that, I don't intend to roast him, or let that mistake overshadow the great year he has had.

But, this mistake and several others throughout the year is why he wasn't voted defensive player of the year. There has been so much outrage over him not being voted as such, but I think a lot of that is through blue and white glasses.

Had to switch to mobile to post pics of my views last night at Citi Field.

I typically have seats in 237 at Yankee Stadium. My conversion was to section 102. Work kept me a bit longer than I would have liked, so we got to our section just at kickoff.

I will say, that the overhang there really does reverberate the sound and that is fucking awesome. BUT.

Getting there at that time (part of the problem and that’s on my end) led to not being able to find 2 seats. (Also, I do realize that this is a GA issue, and won’t apply to many here). Everyone is standing in the rows and it’s nearly impossible to find available spots without weaving down every aisle.

So I made the decision to just say fuck it, and go to 302 up above. Similar situation there, but there were some available seats near the back. Here is the view from there.

Attachments

• 54E43267-2DBD-4CF8-89AD-D8F72755422A.jpeg
    54E43267-2DBD-4CF8-89AD-D8F72755422A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Had to switch to mobile to post pics of my views last night at Citi Field.

I typically have seats in 237 at Yankee Stadium. My conversion was to section 102. Work kept me a bit longer than I would have liked, so we got to our section just at kickoff.

I will say, that the overhang there really does reverberate the sound and that is fucking awesome. BUT.

Getting there at that time (part of the problem and that’s on my end) led to not being able to find 2 seats. (Also, I do realize that this is a GA issue, and won’t apply to many here). Everyone is standing in the rows and it’s nearly impossible to find available spots without weaving down every aisle.

So I made the decision to just say fuck it, and go to 302 up above. Similar situation there, but there were some available seats near the back. Here is the view from there.
As you can see in the pic, you can barely see the top of the 18. That wasn't going to cut it for me. I immediately purchased tickets on the opposite end through the Gametime app where we had actual seats. Even still there, the corner spot to the left couldn't be seen at all, and when everyone was standing, you couldn't see the bottom of the goal (only knew Isi scored due to everyone's reaction).

I understand my experiences were just that, mine. And that there are probably great sight lines elsewhere. And there are probably shitty ones at Yankee Stadium I haven't experienced yet. But consider me in the crowd that would not like to play again at Citi Field.

This. And I know his mistake last night was egregious and is one of the factors that now leads to us ending our postseason short. And while I acknowledge that, I don't intend to roast him, or let that mistake overshadow the great year he has had.

But, this mistake and several others throughout the year is why he wasn't voted defensive player of the year. There has been so much outrage over him not being voted as such, but I think a lot of that is through blue and white glasses.

Well, defensive player of the year got knocked out first round, so can't really put much cred to that title this year.

Weird thing is that during the international break, Chanot was responsible for a mistake that resulted in a goal. ONce again, what should have been a routine pass back to the keeper or a simple and safe clearance, was instead a goal conceded. I need to watch the play last night again after I've fully processed through the stages of grief, but just based on my recollection, I can't understand why neither chanot, callens, or johnson made a play to fight for the ball as it dropped. maybe the pop up wasn't as high as I remember. or maybe it was simply a "wtf' moment where our guys froze. all i know is it was all slow motion for me.

Rabona. Thought it came off pretty well tho.

it looks nice when it works.. but i never understood the reason for it other than flare. it doesn't create any special spin, curl, etc on the ball that you couldn't do with your left foot. Personally, i think it takes more effort and technique to pull off than simply using his left foot. luckily it worked out, but if it had dribbled out of bounds we'd have all been pissed.

he also went down way too easily.. which he always does.. but in a playoff match where ref wasn't calling much, he needed to read the game and know that his flops weren't gonna fly

Reactions: Kjbert and gbservis