Toronto - Postmatch

1) Welcome back, Villa.
2) Welcome back, Isi’s scoring touch
3) Maxi MVP-ness on display at 89:56
4) Ofori is a poor substitute for Yangel
5) Mata can’t defend (see second goal and 78’ where Stuver bails him out). I think he’s a tossup with Sweat.
6) Bradley and Jozy in saner times would be our greatest national Shame. Bradley is such a whiny bitch and Jozy, well... Wish the USMNT had figured out a way to game Concacaf and loaned them to Canada in ‘17
7) Isi almost gave the game back at 37’ but redeemed himself.
8) Medina seems to play better when Villa is not on the pitch.
9) I don’t understand the logic as to how Dome chooses between Chanot and Ibeagha
10) As ugly as it was, this is the kind of game that good teams figure out how to win. This is a good team.

Two things I pointed out in the shoutbox:
  • Isi's second goal has been chalked up to a poor play by Bono. And while I still think that was less than what he's capable of, I think part of the reason Isi was able to beat him is because it was a no-look shot. When they showed the replay from the other angle, you can see Isi look right at Mata as if he's going to pass there while he takes the shot. It caused Bono to be a bit slower in his reaction.
  • The first goal by David, Tinny gets a Sweat-assist (and I don't intend this to be disparaging to Sweat, even though I'm not a fan). This reminds me of the goal JLew had last year (against the Revs???) where Sweat attempted a shot that missed horribly, but found JLew's feet.

Stuyver is god awful. Poor positioning.

Everybody that’s slammed Sweat while touting Mata should all eat a ton of crow. He’s an absolutely pathetic defender - that second goal was all on him and he had a bunch of lazy passes and lax defending. Callens and Ibeagha were also poor today, but anybody saying Sweat can’t be bothered to defend should take a look at Mata when we’re up a man.

Medina is also awful - considering how many opportunities he gets because of beautiful passes from teammates, if he buried a decent number he’d be second in the league in scoring, but he blows them every match. And I swear he’s got only one move, and the league has figured it out. He’s no DP.

Tinny looked awesome and nearly earned a goal off a poorest of poor angles.

Ring faded badly.

Tajori didn’t look great except for his two goals - at least he brought his shooting boots (except for that sure chip).

Maxi was again everywhere and was one of the few raising his game to try and claw it back.

Ofori was up/down. Still not convinced he’s a starter but would be happy with him as a bench sub for energy.

Taty is class and a shame he wasn’t out there when the team had energy and Villa on the field. He should be starting instead of Medina.

Berget made that third goal bodying the defender into a poor clearance. It’s the little things in his game that work.

Our third keeper looked awesome warming up and I pray if SJ can’t go next match he’s our guy.

Michael Bradley and Jozy are my most hated MNT players. I can’t stand either. Jozy is classless and Bradley is a complainer. Neither better ever be called up again.

I’ll take that shitty win in Toronto. It’s our first.

Had to watch the game on tape. (Camp run for my kids.)

Still need to digest it but Villa should have come off at the half and we could have seen what Medina did without him. On the other hand, Taty is looking good but needs more ball.

Two stupid giveaways by Callens, one by Maxi and Ibeagha got lost on Gios goal but after that rode him like an ungelded bronco. Didn’t think that Matta was that great today either. But most of all I do miss my Big Johnson.

Thank fuck Altiodore lost it because between him and Bradley, they normally bully us off the ball and get us chasing. When we meet them next, Ring needs to take a lump out of Bradley and Callens draw Jozie.

Bring on the cows.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
No way should Toronto have been getting to so many open balls in the second half when they were playing down a man, had been since the 8th minute, and were also on short rest after a west coast trip. We need to play with more of an edge if we want a trophy this season.

Anyone else think Tinny may have intended the volly to Villa that set up the goal? It wouldn’t have been a crazy okay to turn down a shot in traffic to get it to our superstar, who was standing unmarked 15 yards away.

Defense has been a shambles for last 2-3 games. Mata repeated Sweat’s back post error, but like last time, the blame goes wider. Where were the center backs? Why was Mata by himself and having to choose between players to mark?

Crap game by both guys back there, and not that strong from Ring either.

Last edited:
Everybody that’s slammed Sweat while touting Mata should all eat a ton of crow. He’s an absolutely pathetic defender - that second goal was all on him and he had a bunch of lazy passes and lax defending.

You're talking about this goal, right? Mata does nothing wrong in this sequence. He marks Vázquez and looks to cut out a low cross, then covers the near post against the first header. Meanwhile Tinnerholm gets beat twice and Callens has some strange malfunction when the cross is played that keeps him from getting to Vázquez in time.

You're talking about this goal, right? Mata does nothing wrong in this sequence. He marks Vázquez and looks to cut out a low cross, then covers the near post against the first header. Meanwhile Tinnerholm gets beat twice and Callens has some strange malfunction when the cross is played that keeps him from getting to Vázquez in time.

Oh, you mean “nothing wrong” as in he lets the ball drop to the open guy on the back post because he’s between him and the goal scorer but defending neither.

Mmm-K. Sorry bud, but Mata is 100% accountable on that goal.

Never criticize a win, but whoo boy was that a horribly average performance.

First of all, Callens made the initial turnover on Giovinco's goal, and it was terrible. Just a careless turnover under little pressure, should never have happened. And the second goal, Matarrita was just sleeping at the back post. If we're being honest, I'm not sure how many more times you can start Matarrita as fullback if he's going to play such little defense. The guy has aspirations of playing in Europe, but he's never going to get here playing like this.

Maxi continues to have an MVP-caliber season, and he might have won it this year had Josef not gone completely insane. What a year he's having.

Thank goodness for Isi. Six of his 10 goals have come on the road, including two braces. And the dude has 4 game-winning goals. What a player he is.

Listen, in a salary-capped league it's probably unwise to have a good back-up goalie because you'd rather spend the money on a guy who's going to play, but Stuver is such a downgrade from Johnson. He is not a good shot-stopper. Four career MLS starts, he's now allowed 11 goals in those four games.

Also, Michael Bradley does a whole lot of complaining. Dude is in the referee's face the entire game. When he was whining in the 93rd minute, the ref should have pointed to his watch. "Listen, Michael: You guys are down 1, and I'm not giving you these 20 seconds back." He is miserable. There was even one time when NYCFC got called for a foul, and he was still complaining. Dude deserves every bit of crap he gets from USMNT fans.

I disagree with this -- he needs to mark someone. Listen, no one was marking anyone, and it was eerily similar to Vancouver's tying goal last week, but he needs to mark someone. And since the goal was scored by the guy he was ostensibly covering, it's on him. He's a woeful defensive player, and is never getting to Europe playing like this.

Reactions: Ulrich
After our first goal as I stood to cheer I was called a faggot by a Toronto fan with his eight year old son. Glad to leave Toronto with three points, upset how it happened. But I’ll take it.

Jozy is an asshole. Felipe is a dick.

Maxi is a fantastic MLS player. Similar to BWP, his skills don't translate to a top tier league, but at this level, he can dominate for a myriad of reason. I am so happy to eat crow. I still think we would be better served if he had an attack partner next to him (think De Bruyne to Silva), but he absolutely controlled the game today.
8/10

Stuver is terrible. Saunders makes both of those saves today. I'd prefer to see the kid play next week in Philadelphia.
3/10

Callens was mediocre today but he got us out of a couple of tricky spots with his pace when the ball went over the top. I thought he was poor in distribution.
6/10

Ibeagha was OK. I think the decision to play him was because he could body up Giovinco and Jozy. He bodied up Giovinco a lot today. He's also better in the air than Maxime. But early in the game, as we struggled to distribute the ball (especially up a man), it was obvious that Maxime would have been the preferred choice to me.
6/10

Mata is great going forward. I thought he looked terrific with the ball at his feet, terrific high up the pitch with his decision making and terrific in that inverted FB role Dome is trying. He is poor defensively. For those who are better at this than me, would he be a more complete player in a Wingback role? Would that help disguise some of his defensive shortcomings, while also maximizing his ability to go forward? Or is he just a straight defensive liability no matter what?
5/10

Tinnerholm was quietly good again today. I think, maybe more than others, that he has been a little up and down this year, but he's a Tier 1 RB in MLS and we're lucky to have him. I think he probably provides a lot of defensive cover that the normal soccer watcher doesn't realize. There are lots of times I wish he was further up the pitch or more attack minded, but then he's there when the ball goes over the top or someone else gets beat. I just think he lacks consistency sometimes.
7/10

Alex Ring was average today. I wonder if that is really on him or those around him.
6/10

I thought Ofori was solid. He gets a little better each match. Still not a world beater, but he's a competent, above average MLS player.
6/10

Medina was OK. That wouldn't have been the sub I would have made but I also understand that Taty brings something that Medina doesn't always bring. I think he's been more up and down this year than you afford from a DP.
5/10

Tajouri-Shradi had two moments of brilliance with a whole lot of crap sandwiched in between. If you guys looked at the headline stats, you would think he's having a great year. I don't think he's nearly the same player he was before he got hurt.
7/10

Villa put in a really nice shift today. He's clearly exhausted and should have probably come out 10 minutes earlier than he did. He's a shell of the player he was even a year ago but still shows flashes of brilliance. It will be interesting to see what his role looks like at the end of the season. I don't know if he should be an automatic starter anymore
7/10

Taty changed the game I think when he came in. That sub should have happened earlier. I asked for Taty for Tajouri-Shradi. I stand by that even though Isi scored a screamer.
7/10

Berget changed things as well. He's the only guy on the team that can hold up play. He was helpful in the Isi goal.
6/10

I didn't understand the Sweat sub. I would have gone with Chanot

Oh, you mean “nothing wrong” as in he lets the ball drop to the open guy on the back post because he’s between him and the goal scorer but defending neither.

Mmm-K. Sorry bud, but Mata is 100% accountable on that goal.

Stuver was behind the goal line when that ball came in. What was he going to do there?

Stuver was behind the goal line when that ball came in. What was he going to do there?
I’m not defending Stuver at all, but no way the ball ever should have been a waist high header on goal in the first place.

So you know how I keep putting a jinx in the chatbox where I say something and then immediately the opposite happens (in a bad way) ?
Yeah, well, today Kjbert took my place in the other way, with "take of Shradi for Taty"
So we can talk about how we won by the skin of our teeth, but I know the real reason we won is because of Kjbert. Thanks Kjbert!

Maxi is a fantastic MLS player. Similar to BWP, his skills don't translate to a top tier league, but at this level, he can dominate for a myriad of reason. I am so happy to eat crow. I still think we would be better served if he had an attack partner next to him (think De Bruyne to Silva), but he absolutely controlled the game today.
8/10

Stuver is terrible. Saunders makes both of those saves today. I'd prefer to see the kid play next week in Philadelphia.
3/10

Callens was mediocre today but he got us out of a couple of tricky spots with his pace when the ball went over the top. I thought he was poor in distribution.
6/10

Ibeagha was OK. I think the decision to play him was because he could body up Giovinco and Jozy. He bodied up Giovinco a lot today. He's also better in the air than Maxime. But early in the game, as we struggled to distribute the ball (especially up a man), it was obvious that Maxime would have been the preferred choice to me.
6/10

Mata is great going forward. I thought he looked terrific with the ball at his feet, terrific high up the pitch with his decision making and terrific in that inverted FB role Dome is trying. He is poor defensively. For those who are better at this than me, would he be a more complete player in a Wingback role? Would that help disguise some of his defensive shortcomings, while also maximizing his ability to go forward? Or is he just a straight defensive liability no matter what?
5/10

Tinnerholm was quietly good again today. I think, maybe more than others, that he has been a little up and down this year, but he's a Tier 1 RB in MLS and we're lucky to have him. I think he probably provides a lot of defensive cover that the normal soccer watcher doesn't realize. There are lots of times I wish he was further up the pitch or more attack minded, but then he's there when the ball goes over the top or someone else gets beat. I just think he lacks consistency sometimes.
7/10

Alex Ring was average today. I wonder if that is really on him or those around him.
6/10

I thought Ofori was solid. He gets a little better each match. Still not a world beater, but he's a competent, above average MLS player.
6/10

Medina was OK. That wouldn't have been the sub I would have made but I also understand that Taty brings something that Medina doesn't always bring. I think he's been more up and down this year than you afford from a DP.
5/10

Tajouri-Shradi had two moments of brilliance with a whole lot of crap sandwiched in between. If you guys looked at the headline stats, you would think he's having a great year. I don't think he's nearly the same player he was before he got hurt.
7/10

Villa put in a really nice shift today. He's clearly exhausted and should have probably come out 10 minutes earlier than he did. He's a shell of the player he was even a year ago but still shows flashes of brilliance. It will be interesting to see what his role looks like at the end of the season. I don't know if he should be an automatic starter anymore
7/10

Taty changed the game I think when he came in. That sub should have happened earlier. I asked for Taty for Tajouri-Shradi. I stand by that even though Isi scored a screamer.
7/10

Berget changed things as well. He's the only guy on the team that can hold up play. He was helpful in the Isi goal.
6/10

I didn't understand the Sweat sub. I would have gone with Chanot
Maybe Sweat came on instead of Chanot for the same reason Chanot didn’t start - maybe he wasn’t fit????

Reactions: Kjbert
The ball you defend against in this situation isn't the weird loopy cross that was played, it's the low ball across the goalmouth. Both Callens and Mata defend that part correctly.
No, you’re wrong. 100% you defend the air ball and play it out. Once it drops inside of the box for a free pass you’re fcked. Sorry DR, for all of your great analysis at other times, you’ve got this one wrong and you’re digging a hole with your doubling down.