Tv Improvementsfor 2016

As long as the game is on tv for away games or home games I can't make I'm good I don't care what language it's in

I just don't want what happened last year that a game was on tape delay by like 30 mins and another the fc Dallas game only showed like 10 mins of it

Use another channel as back up like they did one of the Toronto games

Reactions: Futbolkicks
I'd like to see better camera angles for home games.

I'm watching the Pinstripe Bowl on WABC and the main camera is somewhere up in the 400 level past the right field foul pole; the angle is perfect.

Now of course we all know the football field is laid out differently than the soccer pitch, but if they can get a perfect camera angle from that side of the stadium, they should be able to get the perfect angle from the left field side of the building too.

THIS. I am surprised nobody else (including me) thought of this sooner. The camera angle was a joke and only made it more obvious we were playong in a stadium made for baseball.

I'm surprised the announcers don't travel to all of the games. You would think NYCFC could kick in a couple hundred bucks per away game and get room for the announcers at the team hotel or in the area. They could fly on the team plane.
Especially with all the extra money we have from all the ticket sales.

Reactions: Ulrich and Gene
What's the logic behind a nonsensical rule like that?

So the LA Galaxy didn't fly to all their matches and Chivas USA didn't always take the greyhound bus. Those two ownership groups are why there are so many rules about MLS travel.

Going forward we can expect the rules to be softened as the league gets bigger, but they were in place for a reason.

MLS actually limits the number of charter flights a team can use in a season so there is no team plane.
That is a rule I have never understood. For the average MLS player, being in the league is much like working at a non-profit. The pay is only adequate but the perks are supposed to be amazing to offset it (for MLS it's playing a sport for a living).

The problem with MLS is they have taken away one perk - chartered planes - that would make travel so much easier, friendlier, and faster; not having to deal with checking in and TSA and waiting for pre-boarding and the asinine/angry vacationers/business travelers, and instead walking in to the private terminal and straight on to the plane is not asking for that much.

This is a situation where if a club owner-operator wants to splash the cash then there shouldn't be any reason to stop them - but I'm sure MLS is worried that players will then not want to play for cheap owners and only want to sign with NYCFC, LA, Seattle.... oh wait, that's already what's happening.....

Reactions: Vinjay and Paul
That is a rule I have never understood. For the average MLS player, being in the league is much like working at a non-profit. The pay is only adequate but the perks are supposed to be amazing to offset it (for MLS it's playing a sport for a living).

The problem with MLS is they have taken away one perk - chartered planes - that would make travel so much easier, friendlier, and faster; not having to deal with checking in and TSA and waiting for pre-boarding and the asinine/angry vacationers/business travelers, and instead walking in to the private terminal and straight on to the plane is not asking for that much.

This is a situation where if a club owner-operator wants to splash the cash then there shouldn't be any reason to stop them - but I'm sure MLS is worried that players will then not want to play for cheap owners and only want to sign with NYCFC, LA, Seattle.... oh wait, that's already what's happening.....

NYCFC and Orlando both bought in for a combined $200 million. Couldn't those buy planes for the teams that don't want to buy and operate them themselves? There's no doubt that Etihad would have a Airbus A330 ready for us like Man City has.

NYCFC and Orlando both bought in for a combined $200 million. Couldn't those buy planes for the teams that don't want to buy and operate them themselves? There's no doubt that Etihad would have a Airbus A330 ready for us like Man City has.
Most (nearly all) sports teams don't buy their own planes - it's just not cost effective. Most pro organizations will "rent" a plane for a season through a company like this: PJS Group. There are many companies that provide this same service.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. Etihad did paint an A330 up in MCFC colours and logos, but it's used for their regular passenger service. The only time the team uses it is when it doesn't already have a regular service flight to fly (which is not very often), or when they're going on a prestige trip to somewhere unusual on a pre-season friendly. Most of the time the team flies in something much smaller - or just takes the club coach, since most trips between English clubs are drivable in less than three hours on the roads. Even for Champions League games they tend to fly in a <100 seater.

It's like JGarrettLieb JGarrettLieb said - it's less to do with worrying that players won't sign for a team with no money, it's more of a case of reducing the burden on those players who actually agreed to play for them. It's another playing field leveller, like the drafts - a case of "well, if these guys have to fly coach everywhere, then we think that every team should have to do the same."

Notably - and perhaps predictably - the DPs are not under any obligation to fly coach and are allowed to book first class tickets with their own cash, but (IIRC) all of NYCFC's DPs - or at the very least Lampard, I definitely remember that much - chose to forego this option and fly cattle class with the rest of their teammates. I seem to recall whatever article I read that in pointing out that LA Galaxy's DPs pointedly do not share this philosophy.

Were you not able to figure out the SAP? To be honest, the English commentators were pretty bad that I may have preferred it in Spanish, but the SAP thing really does work. Do you have cable or OTA?
took me a few games to sort it out, but made a big difference once I did

took me a few games to sort it out, but made a big difference once I did
Who's your cable company? I have Time Warner Cable and as far as I can tell theres no SAP for that.

Who's your cable company? I have Time Warner Cable and as far as I can tell theres no SAP for that.
I'm TWC Manhattan but the setting was actually in my TV settings, not my cable. I'll take a look when I get home and DM you

I have Time Warner as well. You get to the SAP settings by hitting the "Settings" button on the remote, the crescent-shaped button which sits on the left side of the circular array of buttons that surround the "Select" button.

I cannot remember the exact wording of what you see when you press that button; and I am not home right now to look at my television screen. But I believe that SAP appears as one of the choices listed on the left side of the screen. I will check later on when I get home.

However, even once you find the SAP function, the problem is that it often doesn't work for that channel. On one NYCFC match on that channel last year, the English-language commentary was there on SAP. But on all other games that I saw on that channel, SAP had no English-language commentary.

Reactions: Goodfella
I'd like to see better camera angles for home games.

I'm watching the Pinstripe Bowl on WABC and the main camera is somewhere up in the 400 level past the right field foul pole; the angle is perfect.

Now of course we all know the football field is laid out differently than the soccer pitch, but if they can get a perfect camera angle from that side of the stadium, they should be able to get the perfect angle from the left field side of the building too.

While it appears you're correct that the camera could be higher, note that in the Pinstripe Bowl the camera wasn't on the 50 yard line, rather it was around the 20 yard line. You can tell at about the 40 second mark in this video:

So it might be a case of picking between a higher camera angle, but off center, or a centered by low camera angle. I agree the latter is probably best for soccer.